TOMTOM one 3rd edition - white screen problems

Update on situation!

Update on the situation:

Called customer service 5 times, finally got through!! Got a Reference # from customer service, transferred to the Repair department, and Repair department said that they couldn't take anymore requests for repair for a few hours because they were so swamped. They told me to call back in 2-3 hours to see if they can get my request in! I asked them for a different phone # since the main line was always busy. The tech dept apparently does not have its own phone # you can directly access by bypassing customer service.

I asked the customer service representative if TT was having a lot of issues with the WSD from their consumers. She completely denied that this was a common problem and that it was just a fluke. Then I asked the techie if they were swamped due to the WSD. He hesitated for a long while, and then said he wasn't sure and to call back.

In their defense, they were very friendly and had great customer service skills. And they are sending me a completely new unit (whenever they can process my repair request). I guess we'll see when I call back.

>>Hello! It looks like everyone with the WSD is located in Canada or over the pond.<<

Where did you get that idea? I think if you read this thread from the begining you'll see the WSD is worldwide.

And I'd bet there is more TT WSD here in the U.S. than anywhere . . . :eek:

Whoops- you're right! I jumped the gun there...:) If you all don't mind, I'll keep posting updates as I hear from them. I'm really curious to see what becomes of this situation!

Update on the situation:

Called customer service 5 times, finally got through!! Got a Reference # from customer service, transferred to the Repair department, and Repair department said that they couldn't take anymore requests for repair for a few hours because they were so swamped. They told me to call back in 2-3 hours to see if they can get my request in! I asked them for a different phone # since the main line was always busy. The tech dept apparently does not have its own phone # you can directly access by bypassing customer service.

I asked the customer service representative if TT was having a lot of issues with the WSD from their consumers. She completely denied that this was a common problem and that it was just a fluke. Then I asked the techie if they were swamped due to the WSD. He hesitated for a long while, and then said he wasn't sure and to call back.

In their defense, they were very friendly and had great customer service skills. And they are sending me a completely new unit (whenever they can process my repair request). I guess we'll see when I call back.

Both of the people I spoke with at Tomtom were very friendly and professional - I'm sure they're getting killed right now (although they made their own bed). I'm currently waiting for my return information - he said give it 24 hours but I'm not overly optimistic.

If I wait too much longer I might return it and see if they have a Garmin Nuvi or something.

my fiance and i got one for xmas from her parents and we have the white screen problem. after coming across this thread we called customer service last night (like 6 p.m. eastern -- they said the call center stayed open late because of the problem) and had a shipping label from FedEx in 5 minutes. They said they will send a new one. The rest of our instructions came via email this morning and i just dropped it off at FedEx-Kinkos for shipping.

My fiance said all who she dealt with were super friendly and the tech support girl laughed when she told her the problem because they were getting so many calls.

Now it appears I am now getting email from TT Support USA instead of the UK as I was.

I had asked why Canadians have to pay to have their units shipped to Texas while American's do not.

This is the answer I got from TT US Support:

At this time the Canadian Customs will not allow us to send a shipping label. The Canadian customs will not ship the unit here to Texas.

Now I didn't know that Canada Customs could tell US Customs what can and can not be admitted to the USA. I some how always thought that US Customs said what can and can not go into the USA.
Now when the replacement unit comes north into Canada then Canada Customs will have something to say.

I have dealt with returns for warranty work to many companies in the US such as Maxtor or Western Digital or DLink and only once had a problem where they didn't put Warranty Return on the shipping label and Canada Customs wanted the tax and duty plus FedEx wanted a $38 processing fee for the customs paper work. In that case I refused the replacement as the taxes/fees were more than the unit cost in the first place.

I do admit when talking to them on the phone they are very nice but that said one can tell they are going via a script with stuff like this hoping we won't notice.

Phil

is there only one support number that you can call? i have been trying to call 1-866-486-6866 to obtain a RMA # along with a FedEx shipping label, but I keep getting a busy signal!!

apparently, according to the manual, you can also call 1-978-287-9555...but i'm not sure if that's free or not...

I would stick to the 1-866-486-6866 number. The other number looks like you'll probably get charged. :(

my fiance and i got one for xmas from her parents and we have the white screen problem. after coming across this thread we called customer service last night (like 6 p.m. eastern -- they said the call center stayed open late because of the problem) and had a shipping label from FedEx in 5 minutes. They said they will send a new one. The rest of our instructions came via email this morning and i just dropped it off at FedEx-Kinkos for shipping.

My fiance said all who she dealt with were super friendly and the tech support girl laughed when she told her the problem because they were getting so many calls.

Thank God I've never had to call (knock on wood), but I've heard their customer service is pretty good too. I'm sure they're doing their best to replace all the damaged units asap.

Got it

UPDATE:

I backed up and formated my TT and reinstalled the application for my TT One using TT Home2 software. I disconnected the cable and it powered off and back on all the time with no white screen. So this might be a software issue?!

I have since then recopied all the files back to the TT One and now it does the white screen again.

Inteeeeeresting....

Good News . . . :)

I just received an email with the FedEx tracking numbers saying my replacement unit is on the way. They are shipping it via FedEx Second Day (which is very cool) so I should have it this Tuesday.

For those keeping score I shipped my WSD 3rd Edition to TT-Texas on January 21st using the RMA . . .

Hello, I am in Vancouver BC Canada and bought a ONE 3E with the SN Y-1248****

I had the WSD on my unit. Contacted 7 Staples stores, and found another ONE 3E with the SN- Y1249**** and i am getting a replacement in a few days.

I'll let you all know if I encounter the same problem with the new unit.

The stores were pretty interested in this problem.

White screen on startup

Ok Guys I call TomTom 866-486-6866 (form Montreal aera) and get confirmation for a replacement unit with in 10 days. Sip and retun via Fedex.

Good service from TomTOm!

Last edited:
Hello,

I bought three TOMTOM one 3rd editions today... I have opened two so far and both of them have started up okay initially, but they were turned off and back on, I got a white/grey screen... It doesn't work until you soft reset...

We have tried installing latest update and performing factory reset...

HELP!!
Just phone TomTom 866-486-6866 you will qet repacement unit

White screen

Hy Every Body for withe screen just phone TomTom 866-486-6866 Coustomer service They will send you a new unit.

They have good service :)

That wath I've done :cool:

Good lock

Hey Rbrt.....I'm not quite sure what you are saying.... Are you telling ppl to call TomTom 866-486-6866 Customer Service for help and they will send you a new unit??

I think that's what you are saying, but with the last 3 posts... i'm not totally sure.

I'm getting a replacement from Staples within 2 days.

so I should call TomTom 866-486-6866 Customer Service for help and they will send me a new unit??

I'm not quite sure.

So just to be clear one last time.... We are to call TomTom 866-486-6866 Customer Service for help and they will send me a new unit??

this is fun.

TheNewGuy,

Yup, that's what he was saying. Before Christmas, around where I live anyway, you couldn't find them in any of the stores. Too good of a price I quess. Anyway, going through TT support services was the only way to ensure you were going to get a 'good' one.

For those of you from Canada, you really don't know where your unit came from, maybe the USA or maybe China. TT is an English company.

well according to Wikipedia>> TomTom NV (Euronext: TOM2) is a Dutch manufacturer of automotive navigation systems, including both stand-alone units and software for personal digital assistants, and mobile telephones. It is the leading manufacturer of navigation systems in Europe

Type Public
Euronext: TOM2
Founded 1991
Headquarters Amsterdam, the Netherlands

SOURCE>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TomTom

know your facts

Hey Rbrt.....I'm not quite sure what you are saying.... Are you telling ppl to call TomTom 866-486-6866 Customer Service for help and they will send you a new unit??

I think that's what you are saying, but with the last 3 posts... i'm not totally sure.

I'm getting a replacement from Staples within 2 days.

so I should call TomTom 866-486-6866 Customer Service for help and they will send me a new unit??

I'm not quite sure.

So just to be clear one last time.... We are to call TomTom 866-486-6866 Customer Service for help and they will send me a new unit??

this is fun.

Yes call tech support and report the White Screen of Death. The policy is to send you a new working unit. Once you receive the new one, place the defective unit in the same box, apply the shipping label enclosed and send it back at TomTom's expense. The policy is only for the One 3rd ed.:D

Hy Every Body for withe screen just phone TomTom 866-486-6866 Coustomer service They will send you a new unit.

They have good service :)

That wath I've done :cool:

Good lock

This only works if you live in the US. If you live in Canada then take it back to where you bought it for a replacement. TomTom will replace Canadian units if you agree to pat shipping and any other costs they incur.

Phil

This only works if you live in the US. If you live in Canada then take it back to where you bought it for a replacement. TomTom will replace Canadian units if you agree to pat shipping and any other costs they incur.

Phil

that is what sucks, so hopefully when I get mine (hopefully Monday) I won't have the issue. I think to combat this however, I will argue with Best Buy to bring one new one in for me as I will refuse to pay out of my pocket for a defective unit if it comes to that. Let them incur the pain, not the customer I say..

Ask a Question