TOMTOM one 3rd edition - white screen problems

"Y1546***" serial. White screen of death here as well.
4 out of 6 units purchased all have this problem.
Units were purchased at Best Buy, Office Depot, and Staples. 2 units from each store. Made for a big disappointment as these were Christmas gifts but hopefully TT will continue the good customer relations.

Replacement unit on the way

Today i have received an e-mail with Fedex shipment tracking number for replacement unit. Good work by TOMTOM, i have not yet sent back(received fedex shipment lables ) my current white screen death unit

3rd Time Lucky

I received a tomtom one 3rd Edition for Christmas and like alot of other people my unit suffered the white screen problem. I got it replaced unaware that this was a wide spread problem, this unit also had the same problem - its serial no was ...46..... I again returned this unit to BestBuy for a refund. I looked at Business Depot, they had units with serial no ...49... and the unit works great - no white screen problems!

TT1v3 with a 47 S/N is working..

I received a TT1v3 with a S/N of Y1247 for Christmas. I have been using it since Thursday. Have turned it on and off at least 10-15 times, connected to my laptop and downloaded updates. No white screen of death yet. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones and in the clear. From reading this thread, it seems like the WSD occurs instantly on the second occurrence of turning on the unit.

I just read about the problems many were having today. :(

White screen

I also bought a tomtom one 3rd edition, and it worked fine until i shut it off and restarted, I got the white screen. Took it back to futureshop and got a new one. same thing happened. So i phoned tomtom and they are rushing me out a new one, but they want me to pay the shipping to send back the defective one. ha as if. Plus I asked 2 people at tomtom if this was something they had heard of as happening before and they both said no, but looking at online forums many people have this problem so I don't think they were being completely upfront about.too bad.

White Screen

Had the white screen, just got off the phone with TomTom, took me 14 mins, and they are sending me a new one. 1-866-4TomTom

I received a tomtom one 3rd Edition for Christmas and like alot of other people my unit suffered the white screen problem. I got it replaced unaware that this was a wide spread problem, this unit also had the same problem - its serial no was ...46..... I again returned this unit to BestBuy for a refund. I looked at Business Depot, they had units with serial no ...49... and the unit works great - no white screen problems!

Glad to hear the 49s are working. I got an email today confirming shipment of my new TT1v3 and it will be the 49 series. Though I'm disappointed that the issue occurred overall, I have to commend TT for taking the issue seriously and providing customers with replacements up front and in a timely manner at least in my case. They shipped my replacement less than 36 hours after I reported the issue over the holidays.

In contrast, I've been waiting almost 4 WEEKS with several requests for update for Western Digital to simply inform me how they plan to rectify a bad power supply that came with an external hard drive I bought from them in October.

Hats off to TomTom Customer Service. Now I'm curious to see how they handle us when it comes time to add a New Device prior to their 6 month restriction. Hopefully they've thought that far ahead.

all is good

I just had to e-mail tomtom and they are sending me a new tomtom 3rd edition and it should be here in 3 days . I had asked if i had to pay anything and they said no just send back the old one as soon as i get the new one and use the shipping slip that is in the box. So far the support has been good and they are dealing with the problem.

Good job tomtom. :)

Hi everyone,

I received a One 3rd edition for christmas a well. y1548.... I was quite excited about it until the white screen appeared. I've experienced the same problem as everyone else. First power on works fine. Power off and back on, WHITE SCREEN!!

I thought maybe it was because it needed to be charged. I charged it thinking this will solve the problem. NOPE!!
So, needless to say I am disappointed and will be returning it for a refund. I will shop around for another brand. TOM TOM has disappointed me.

Good luck with your replacements.

after getting our shipping label emailed from tomtom we dropped our unit off at fedex yesterday afternoon. i got an email last night saying that my new unit was shipped from texas and should arrive on wednesday.

kudos to tomtom here. they are handling this about as good as a company can with such a widespread defect.

after getting our shipping label emailed from tomtom we dropped our unit off at fedex yesterday afternoon. i got an email last night saying that my new unit was shipped from texas and should arrive on wednesday.

kudos to tomtom here. they are handling this about as good as a company can with such a widespread defect.

Me too. I guess they shipped the new unit as soon as the Fedex tracking showed that I had mailed the return. I have got to say that this is the best customer service I've received for a long time :)

White screen death? Not to worry!

I spoke with Tom Tom rep on 12/29/07. They know of the problem. Yes, I did have to wait my turn on the phone call to customer service (25 mins), but I'm not the only one who is having this issue, several million more I suppose??!!?? Customer service was very friendly, very helpful, and they are shipping me a new unit within 5 to 7 business days. I like the product, and very satisfied with customer service. So, be patient, call Tom Tom customer service and get a new unit.
john b. :)

It is good to see our American friends getting such good treatment. I just wish us in Canada could be afforded the same treatment.

Phil

It is good to see our American friends getting such good treatment. I just wish us in Canada could be afforded the same treatment.

Phil
where did you buy the unit from by chance? Have you complained to the store you got it at regarding having to pay the duty charges, etc?

Glad to read here that many with this problem are being taken care of quickly... hopefully this will continue. My S/N 46 is still working okay.

BTW, I'm in YorkTown Heights, New York visiting my son, his wife and three of our grandkids for a week. In Sunday's paper - the Circuit City flyer - there was no TomTom ONE 3rd edtion advertised along with all the other GPS units on sale. Word is getting out to some of the venders at least and these must have been pulled from their shelves.

No problem, Canadian Advance Replacement

Hi TomTom Users:

I purchased a TomTom One 3rd at Fry's in the US for my wife. We only tried it out yesterday for the first time, and yes, it has the white screen issue. I called TomTom this morning and was very quickly referred to the RMA dept. They, without any issue, offered immediately to send out an advance replacement with instructions to get this one back within 10 days using their courier. They said I'll have the new one within 3 -5 days.

It seems they are now taking this seriously and wish to keep good customers, even those outside the US. I have run the TomTom software on my Treo for a couple years and really am very happy with it. This will keep me as a customer providing all goes as planned.

I hope everyone else with this problem gets the same (only reasonable) treatment. Jim

For clarification, I am in Canada, I simply purchased the unit at Fry's in the US...

Last edited:
Future Shop

OK. I bought mine at Best Buy, but they were sold out of any replacements, I went to Future Shop (Same owner, different selling scheme and products, no-commison vs commision) Anywho, the person at Future Shop said that I was the second person that said this but they did not take the first as reliable (thanks, tomtomforum). they checked all of their serial numbers and they were all 48's, so no buy for me.

Then she actually called their TOMTOM rep and she said she was coming to Calgary to handle this issue as they have had 1800 returns in Alberta alone after Christmas (probably losing a but of sales to Garmin). Even though I did not buy it from them, they are going to try and solve my issue and not have me mail it back and have to pay postage from Canada.

Last edited:
where did you buy the unit from by chance? Have you complained to the store you got it at regarding having to pay the duty charges, etc?

I have been back to Best Buy and they have no more units and no ETA for replacement units either.

They are dealing with the problem I am told, but in most cases the person is buying something else with the money from the store so they are to worried at loosing the original sale.

Phil

Got replacement TomTom shipped to me! w/ return label in box!

This is for the users having difficulty finding replacements in stores..see below. (starts at bottom) Hope this helps!!!!:) :) :)

FedEX was at my door today w/ the new unit!

Discussion Thread
Response (ST Shannon C) 12/29/2007 10:55 AM
Dear Tarell,

Thank you for your prompt response and for providing the requested information.

You will receive a new replacement device in 3-5 days, as well as a shipping label for the return shipment that will be included in the box. There will also be an insert in the box that will provide instructions for the return shipment. We ask that you send the defective unit back to us within 10 days of receiving the new replacement unit.

If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thank you again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Shannon
TomTom Customer Support

Customer (Tarell ) 12/28/2007 08:36 PM
Shannon,
Thank you for your response. My name is Tarell . My address is
***************. My phone number is
********. The serial number is Y11487*******. Just for clarification, the
return authorization does include TomTom sending me a paid shipping
label, correct? I do not feel that I am responsible for the cost of
having to exchange a defective unit. Also, would it be possible to have a
replacement unit sent to me with a return lable for the defective unit?
This way I can continue to use the defective unit (by pressing the reset
button after shutdown) until the new unit arrives. This would be
excellent customer service and I am sure it would make a lot of long term
unhappy customers happy again. Thanks for your help in this situation.
Tarell

Response (ST Shannon C) 12/28/2007 12:38 PM
Dear Tarell,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Shannon and our goal today is to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We're more than happy to assist you!

Please supply the following details so that we may set you up for a return authorization and send you a new unit upon receipt of the defective one:

- First and last name

- Shipping address

- Phone number

- Serial number (found on the bottom of unit, for a visual: http://www.tomtom.com/5629)

If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Shannon
TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (Tarell ) 12/26/2007 10:21 PM
I am sure you know the issue. Powers up fine for the first time. When you power down and then back up, nothing but a white screen. Please address this issue ASAP.

Ask a Question