TOMTOM one 3rd edition - white screen problems

Hello,

I bought three TOMTOM one 3rd editions today... I have opened two so far and both of them have started up okay initially, but they were turned off and back on, I got a white/grey screen... It doesn't work until you soft reset...

We have tried installing latest update and performing factory reset...

HELP!!

Welcome to the forum.

My ONE does this to from time to time but the grey/white screen basically flashes and then the splash screen comes up.

Does it just hang there until you reset?

Thanks for this...

Unfortunately this is not sporadic, it is pretty much every time until you soft rest it.

After that if you turn it on and off again... wala - white screen!

Once It started talking while the white screen was up...

Thanks

That certainly is not good.

I would suggest since you just bought it to return it and exchange for another one. I think it would just be easier this way.

Did you mess with the splash screens at all? I messed mine up by using a 32 bit bmp as my splash screens, it didn't like that at all.....swapped it to a 24 bit bmp image and it's fine.

I know if you just got those you probably haven't messed with it but hey I'm just throwin' it out there.

I am having the same problem, and I am on my second one. This happened right out of the box. I did not do any updates and did not even connect it to my PC. Let us know if you get one to work.

Phoned up support..

They suggested we try the Flash Tool - Didn't work
We tried to format a unit and reinstall the software - Didn't work...
Looks like I am going to have to take it back to Best Buy...

Same problem

I bought one today and Im having the same issue. Took it out of the box in Circuit City's parking lot and let the tomtom take me home. It worked fine. Got home, shut it off, went in the house and now nothing but a white screen. Reset button does bring it back but if I shut it off white screen reappears at power up. Upgraded software same result.........Seems like a software related issue to me. HELP.....

Last edited:
weird

Seems awefully strange that we are all having the same issue on newly purchased units. Maybe a defective batch. Im going to try my luck with tech support and do more research. I bought the last one in the store and they dont know when they will get more in. So far I havent found anything else on this issue.

White Screen when you restart TomTom One 3rd Edition

Bought 3 today also, same problem on every one of them. White screen when you turn it off and back on again. I am getting really upset over this. They were going to be Christmas presents but I don't won't to give faulty GPS units. I have emailed support but no response yet. If they can't solve this they need to recall all units until we get some good ones. If I don't here from them in a couple of days I'll take them all back and get some other brand I guess.

I hate to just post a "me-too" without any new information, but here I am...

Bought it Friday morning from the only best buy in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area with any in stock, and just like everyone else it works fine right away, then when you turn it off and back on, it sits on a white screen, but on this screen it does seem to acquire a GPS signal and it'll navigate me, as long as I was already going someplace when I turned it off. Connecting to PC and tapping in the general area of the "yes" button (for the Connect to Computer? No/Yes screen) reboots it to the screen indicating it's connected to a computer, so it seems to be strictly a screen issue.

I submitted a ticket to tomtom support online this morning, hopefully will hear back soon.

If anyone happens upon resolution before support gets back to me, I'd love to not have to fight with best buy returning this thing (you should see the clamshell it came in, sure doesn't look pretty once it's open)

Ordered the same unit for my sister for Christmas from newegg.com, hope that one's not defective (haven't tried it out yet, maybe I should...)

Sounds Like TOM TOM has a major problem

I thought that maybe it would have been just a bad batch, but it seems there are problems on these every where. I am going tomorrow and return the 4th one same problems. I have not found a good one yet!! I am wondering if this $100 off is just a way of getting rid of some bad stock until after presents are opened with no receipts to get refunds.

I am wondering if this $100 off is just a way of getting rid of some bad stock until after presents are opened with no receipts to get refunds.
That seems to be a very cynical remark. TomTom is not in the business of sending out know bad units just to get rid of them. That's the faster way to loose business and have the FTC come down on your head.

Same here

Bought mine on 12/13(VA Beach) and started up no problem. Connected to PC and downloaded the HOME software. Played with it for a few minutes. Broke it out this morning to take it to work and check it out on the road and turned on to WHITE screen. Turned off/on several times to no avail. Grabbed my ball point pen and hit reset and it worked. I'm playing with it now and powered off/on with no problem. I did it again and got the White screen again and had to RESET it. I noticed when I turned it off the first time I didn't see the screen that shows the picture of storing it in a briefcase and not in a napsack. The second time I did. Now every time I do it I get the WHITE screen....hmmmmmm... It does seem to Tun on/off better when attached to PC. I turned it off while connected to PC, the power LED stays on. I removed cable and LED is off. I will power back up. It came back up no problem. Now if I do it again. I'm sure I'll get the White screen. YEP. I connected back to PC with White screen, rebooted still White. If it's White it has to be reset. What's up with this product. Everyone that knows about this should go write a review where they purchased it so others know....WTF

Last edited:
I am having the same problem. It didn't start till after i upgraded the unit. Has anyone called tomtom about it?

Ask a Question