TOMTOM one 3rd edition - white screen problems

http://tomtom.com/8578

went to the above link and downloaded the patch directly to my tom tom...IT WORKS! no more white screen of death!! good job tom tom!

To expand on my first post--It DID include a return shipping label and the shipping is all prepaid.

PS--My new TOMTOM ONE WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!

Chris in Ottawa

Wow, good job to TomTom for coming out with a fix. It'll save them a lot more money than originally anticipated. However, weren't they saying that it was a hardware issue that actually needed to be repaired?

My replacement (S/N 52) was sent out just before they started directing people to this fix.. which I am kind of glad about because I'm a little weary of the long term stability of this patch.

Last edited:
TomTom One 3rd Edition WSD Fix

Hello again everyone,

I just got off the phone with a TT rep, and they told me to go to the website http://tomtom.com/8578 and scroll down and download the software, which is apparently very new.

Good news! It worked for my One, now I no longer have the WSD problem AND didn't have to go through the whole replacement process. I just hope it lasts.

Hope this helps!
Lauren

P.S. And thanks whitescreenofdeath for the suggestion, turns out I finally was able to get through on the phone anyway.

Thanks Lauren, worked for me!!

Thx for sending the link.

I've installed the update and my white screen of death appears to be gone.
Thank Gawd as I'm a Canadian Customer. I didn't want to deal with the shippng fiasco....

Thank you tomtom Community!

Got Replacement...

To follow-up previous comments, I received yesterday from TomTom a new unit - shipped to Kitchener, Ontario via Fedex overnight. No shipping charges, taxes, brokerage or anything. They obviously know how to look after this appropriately now. They included a return Fedex shipping label and all forms prefilled-out for me - just have to sign them and call Fedex to pick it up. There is no charge whatsoever to the customer (which is the way it should be!).

If you have one with a problem, just give them a call - TomTom seems to have taken full responsibility for these faulty units thankfully. No more white screen! Jim

No problem jawstew :)

Just an update, today I was fiddling around with my unit, and I guess I somehow deleted the application of my TT, which reverted back to the WSD which scared by rather badly. But after reinstalling the software, everything was fine again.

What if you don't return it?

Anyone with any insight into what would/could happen if you don't send back the defective unit? I was told on the phone I would have 10 days to do so, but didn't want to ask what if I didn't!

Thanks

Hi all

Great information on this site.
Like some of the others, I purchased a TomTom 3rd Edition on the BestBuy website. It was a great deal so I couldn't resist.
Sadly, I have one of the units that powered up to a white screen and hung.

I've applied the patch from here >> http://tomtom.com/8578
But now when it starts, I don't get the TomTom sound. Instead I see a flash of white, the TomTom splash screen and then into navigation mode which is what I suspect I should be happy with.

Is this happening to the others who applied the patch?
Any way to get the startup sound back?

Interestingly enough, If I hit the reset button and then power up, I get the startup sound which really makes me believe this patch is only masking a more serious issue.
In otherwords, could TomTom have disabled a feature which previously hung the boot process?

In the meantime I've submitted my issue via email to TomTom in the hopes they'll send me a new device like you other lucky folks :p

Anyone with any insight into what would/could happen if you don't send back the defective unit? I was told on the phone I would have 10 days to do so, but didn't want to ask what if I didn't!

Thanks

LOLLL its definitely tempting to not send the other one specially now that it is fixed......its their fault so screw them LOLL

Hi all
But now when it starts, I don't get the TomTom sound. Instead I see a flash of white, the TomTom splash screen and then into navigation mode which is what I suspect I should be happy with.
Is this happening to the others who applied the patch? Any way to get the startup sound back? <snip>

On my TT-ONE 3rd edition, I never get any sound at startup. My unit was new last month (SN:Y1346...) but didn't have the WSOD issue -- so I never had to apply the patch (linked above). Actually, I don't miss the sound to be honest. As long as it gets me where I need to go. :D

Thanks

I have a different problem.

I returned my unit for a full refund and TT sent me a unit which according to FedEx should be delivered today. I had even advised TT that I returned the unit days before they shipped me the unit.

I guess maybe TT has sent me a gift.

Phil

In followup.... To my issue about the sound.

TomTom just emailed me with the same Faq for the White Screen Fix.
I replied saying I had already reported I tried all those resets etc...

New TomTom on the way!!! Got to like that service.

white screen

I had exactly the same problem right out of the box. Took it back and they replaced it with no questions asked.

M

Same Thing happened to Me

TT online support sent a new unit with a prepaid return label. At least they back their product well. I have upgraded to A TT 720. Hope everything works out.:cool:

upgrade

TT online support sent a new unit with a prepaid return label. At least they back their product well. I have upgraded to A TT 720. Hope everything works out.:cool:

When you saw that they sent you a new unitwas it a TT one and if so how did you go about upgrading it to a TT 720?

Hi all

Great information on this site.
Like some of the others, I purchased a TomTom 3rd Edition on the BestBuy website. It was a great deal so I couldn't resist.
Sadly, I have one of the units that powered up to a white screen and hung.

Is this happening to the others who applied the patch?
Any way to get the startup sound back?

Interestingly enough, If I hit the reset button and then power up, I get the startup sound which really makes me believe this patch is only masking a more serious issue.
In otherwords, could TomTom have disabled a feature which previously hung the boot process?

In the meantime I've submitted my issue via email to TomTom in the hopes they'll send me a new device like you other lucky folks :p

I also don't get the start up sound and this is a replacement S/N 52. So I'm under the impression that that's just the way it is unless you're turning it on after a soft reset.

Ask a Question