Update erased favorites, personal POIs. Get them back?

Wow; thanks for that explanation--surprising though it is.
But I have to say, TomTom's change isolates the owner from his device. Functionality is reduced if you consider being able to control and change it to your liking to be a function. It is similar to each version of Windows taking more and more control away from the computer owner.

I do not want to own one of the newer models now that I know this. Changes that make products less desirable do not seem to be smart. Of course, 99% of buyers do not even know it--especially at purchase time. Corporate decision-making baffles me.

By using ssl (encrypted) comms between the PC and the unit, they were (I guess) attempting to deal with the population of cracked firmware/map that were occurring out there in the real world. The total number of users aware of and managing this would have been pretty slim to begin with, but you know how companies can be about stuff like that. Seems like a hell of an inconvenience to many users to recover a small portion of revenue they probably would have never had anyway.

Responses to many...
Device model 540XXL.
2008? Is 540XXL b4 2008?
However, I never lost anything on ANY previous update until the last two. That is the reason I was sure to make a backup before doing the update. Made no difference. TT erased it anyway.

I ==DID== have a custom POI category; it erased that too!

I did put the mapsettings file in the map folder; I did back it up first.

The 540XXL was a 2009 model, and on store shelves as TT implemented the favorites-retention fix in late 2009. It received the fix, but only after updating the application to app 9.061, and it should have remain fixed from that software update onwards.

Can you confirm that you have software 9.510 on the device, and latest bootloader 5.5279, as that combo is the latest 2012 software? Are you saying that favorites in mapsettings.cfg are now lost as you update maps? (if so that's a new bug) In your backup area where you found the .ov2 file, can you find a mapsettings.cfg file too? If so try copying that back as it may restore your favorites.

Hello mvl,
I will have to answer the version question later --device is in car and must soon get ready for an appt.
quick summary...this last update, the process told me there was not enough room for the new map. I called support, and tt tech had me erase stuff t try to make room. still did not have enough room. That may have been what deleted them-- don't know. And actually, I pretty sure it was the install process that said it wanted to delete some stuff.

Then tech got my account set to allow the USA map rather than the USA-canada-mexico in order to install a smaller map that might fit. When I got ready to install USA, I noticed that it WAS BIGGER THAN THE 3 COUNTRY MAP! So she had me delete the whole map folder on the device after saving mapsettings.cfg, and the install succeeded after that.

I have found an old mapsettings.cfg file on a previous laptop I was using about a year ago, and it had about 90% of my precious data in it, so the total disaster has been averted, and I only lost a few of the recently saved destinations..

I will tell you after the next update if it happens again. I now have my .cfg and ov2 files saved independent of the backup folder. I never had problems with the loss of settings util the last two updates. gotta run

Ask a Question