update erased my device

just got a TOMTOM one and tried out the "home" software. The first thing it asked me was if I wanted to do updates.

I foolishly clicked "update", and the home software erased everything on my GPS. I did manage to get the software back on using the update (took a few reboots of the GPS and the computer) but now all my maps are gone. Update won't put them back on. All I get when I go to maps is buy now.

How do I get the maps back?

When you connect the unit to the computer, use Explorer to examine the contents of the unit. Do you see a specific map folder on the unit? Are there files in that folder? Did you do a backup prior to getting the update?

I did manage to get all the software back on, but there was no map folder on the device after doing all this.

I didn't do a backup before doing the update because I was too excited about screwing with my new toy that I didn't take basic precautions. Plus I thought, "what could go wrong?" ...It turns out a lot can go wrong.

When I ran chkdsk on the device after it wouldn't let me do the update, it found 800MB in bad clusters. I can now see that this was the previous map.

I'm aftraid your only recourse is to call support at 866-486-6866 and explain the situation to them.

I forgot to mention I did send a support request to TomTom after this whole thing started and I tried all their fixes, but they say up to 2 business days for a solution.

I just saw your post, I'll give them a call tonight.

Last edited:
TomTom support was very helpful. It took a couple of minutes and the serial number from my device and they placed a map on my account.

I am very impressed with their professionalism and the prompt solution that they provided. With help that I've received from this board, and the great service from TomTom support I have a working GPS.

Thanks all

Excellent news!!

Now, PLEASE............

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents once the map is installed.

Wow, the TomTom home software is troubling to use.

I made a backup of the software on my device. I don't want to go through that again. TThome gave me a BSOD 3 times during map instalation! It took me over 2 hours to finally get an official working functioning GPS.

I say it in that way since it took less than 15 minutes to find an un-official copy, patch the errors and have a functioning device. (I have removed the un-official software) It makes me sad that doing things "right" is so much harder and takes longer than the alternative.

I hope that version 3 of TThome works better when it comes out, but at least we have an easy way to backup and restore with explorer.

Thanks for all your help

Ask a Question