TomTom One 3rd Edition - Can't change Car Symbol

*** AS ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING BELOW ***

Download the software from the link below
http://www.tomtomheaven.com/data/zip/tthxplrr.zip

Unzip it and run the setup.exe file.
You will find a new group entry in the start menu, named TomTomHeaven and inside it TomTomHeavenXplorer

***Before running the program I recommend:
? backup your settings.dat (eg settings.dat.old) in your tomtom to your computer;
? create a new folder named art and within it another folder named cars;
? put in there any cursor you want to use (.bmp file 80?80px)... You can download a lot of them from TomTomHeaven using the link under the cursor picture.

Then
? start the program TomTomHeavenXplorer;
? click Backup (Sauver in french) so you'll get another backup of your setings.dat which you can restore using the Repare (or R?parer in french) button;
? choose your curseur in the file list which shows you the content of your art/cars folder;
? click Apply (Appliquer in french)
- Disconnect tomtom and restart it.

This is not completely a new find, I got the info from another forum.

TTF

Is changing the arrow icon the only function of this program? Or does it also restore other functions lost in Nav Lite.

Is changing the arrow icon the only function of this program? Or does it also restore other functions lost in Nav Lite.

From what I've seen with it, this is it's sole functionality. I've not yet been able to get my GPS back from my girlfriend, so I can't test it for sure, but running the program and only seeing a window for car icons (left) and three buttons (right) makes me believe this to be nothing but what the thread has been searching for.

From what I've seen with it, this is it's sole functionality. I've not yet been able to get my GPS back from my girlfriend, so I can't test it for sure, but running the program and only seeing a window for car icons (left) and three buttons (right) makes me believe this to be nothing but what the thread has been searching for.

That's good enough for me although the English translation of the web site seems to be saying so much more. :)

Well I got my TT1LE back from my girlfriend. The program worked flawlessly. :D

I'm a happy camper.

I just have to figure out how to get the edges of the vehicle to be as sharp as possible so no red outlines occur...my truck icon I made is too blurry on the sides and therefore is outlined by red in some places.

Thanks again for the wonderful program.

P.S. - It's confirmed that this program changes the car icon and nothing else....sorry.

Now we just need to figure out how to restore this function to the menu so we don't have to use TT Heaven Explorer.

I incorrectly assumed that you could just change the icon file path in settings.dat with just a text editor.

Something else is locking this in. Even when I edit the settings.dat file with the new path, the original car chosen with TTHeavenExp comes up. I go back and look at settings.dat and the orignal path is restored. It must be encoded someplace else as well.

I was hoping that after initial setup I could change icons on my Mac with a text editor. No go.

I searched all the TomTom folders for .bmp files of the default arrow, as did other folks here, and we all came up with nothing. Our conclusion: the arrow must be buried inside an existing file.

It appears that this guy at TomTomHeaven.com has found where that 81x81 pixel image exists within one of those existing files and has successfully written a program that puts a new image in there. I did take a look at the time stamps on my TomTom after installing Superman as my car image, and there were only three files that had been modified at that date/time. It's gotta be in there somewhere!

I'm playing with my Superman now. Want to put his arms out front in the typical Superman flying position.

settings.dat
ttgo.bif
CurrentMap.dat

Actually there could have been more. I didn't look within folders. These were at the top level.

I'm going to try a search throughout TomTom for the binary pattern represented by my current cursor. As soon as I find the right utility to do this with. It's gotta be in there somewhere!

I found the French program to be kind of strange. Installed .net 2 in French, despite its aleady being there en Anglais. Then ran OK, but I was uncomfortable keeping it on my computer so I reverted with GoBack.

Last edited:
TT One Second Edition (w/SD Slot)
App: 7.162
Map: v665.1293

Tried this on my TT One Second Edition, but it did not work. Everything seemed to work as described in the "steps to follow", but the car icon is still the blue arrow.

TT One Second Edition (w/SD Slot)
App: 7.162
Map: v665.1293

Tried this on my TT One Second Edition, but it did not work. Everything seemed to work as described in the "steps to follow", but the car icon is still the blue arrow.

I'm not sure which Navcore you have, full or lite, but I thought only the ONE 3rd Editions had "lite".

If you have "full", then you wouldn't need this software as the ability would already be there.

I am rather sure I have the "lite" version (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) I see no option to change the icon in the preferences.

I am rather sure I have the "lite" version (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) I see no option to change the icon in the preferences.

I'm not sure how to help you but look inside your "settings.dat" file. Towards the bottom, you should see the full file path to your new car icon.

At least with that, you'd know that the TTHeavenExplorer did something. Then maybe the new bmp file is bad.

Last edited:
I can see that TomTomHeavenXplorer added "/mnt/sdcard/art/cars/Rocket2_TTH.bmp" near the end of the settings.dat file. I downloaded the icon file from TomTomHeaven.com.

I can see that TomTomHeavenXplorer added "/mnt/sdcard/art/cars/Rocket2_TTH.bmp" near the end of the settings.dat file. I downloaded the icon file from TomTomHeaven.com.

Now you know for sure that TTHeaven actually did something.

You manually copied the Rocket2_TTH.bmp file into /art/cars/, right? Of course you had to do this or you wouldn't have seen the icon in the software.

I don't know. Perhaps after it's better known how TTHeaven works, you'll be able to fix this problem.

Can you tell which changes were made in the "ttgo.bif" file. Open your old one with NotePad and the new one with NotePad and compare...

Thanks

Last edited:
Never mind - I found the issue. I was using 2d maps. The new icon only works for 3d maps. Very cool!

Thanks for the help!

The program worked fine, and I now have Superman as my icon. I would prefer that his hands be facing forward in the classic Superman flying position rather than down by his side. I'll have to work on that with my image editor.

However, the program insisted on installing Microsoft .net 2 in French on top of my existing installation. This then garbaged the existing setup, and I had to go through quite a cleanup process afterwards. Anybody else encounter this?

The program worked fine, and I now have Superman as my icon. I would prefer that his hands be facing forward in the classic Superman flying position rather than down by his side. I'll have to work on that with my image editor.

However, the program insisted on installing Microsoft .net 2 in French on top of my existing installation. This then garbaged the existing setup, and I had to go through quite a cleanup process afterwards. Anybody else encounter this?

Didn't happen to me...it installed fine. Of course I have .net 3 already installed so it may have seen that and thought I didn't need an upgrade.

*** AS ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING BELOW ***

Download the software from the link below
http://www.tomtomheaven.com/data/zip/tthxplrr.zip

Unzip it and run the setup.exe file.
You will find a new group entry in the start menu, named TomTomHeaven and inside it TomTomHeavenXplorer

***Before running the program I recommend:
— backup your settings.dat (eg settings.dat.old) in your tomtom to your computer;
— create a new folder named art and within it another folder named cars;
— put in there any cursor you want to use (.bmp file 80?80px)... You can download a lot of them from TomTomHeaven using the link under the cursor picture.

Then
— start the program TomTomHeavenXplorer;
— click Backup (Sauver in french) so you'll get another backup of your setings.dat which you can restore using the Repare (or R?parer in french) button;
— choose your curseur in the file list which shows you the content of your art/cars folder;
— click Apply (Appliquer in french)
- Disconnect tomtom and restart it.

This is not completely a new find, I got the info from another forum.

TTF

OK, I followed the above instructions and the program installed fine. I did create the /art/cars/ folder on my TomTom's root directory. I also placed about 6 different *.bmp icons from one of the previously pointed to websites into the /cars/ folder.

However, when I run the TomTomHeavenXplorer program, it give me a warning stating that "No Cursor Installed on Your TomTom!".

The program DOES detect that I have the TomTom plugged into the computer and that it is a TomTom ONE and it even shows my *.bmp files in the list, but it greys out after I get that "No Cursor Installed on Your TomTom!" warning and I cannot select a cursor.

Any ideas what the heck is going on?

For Reference:
TomTom ONE LE
App Ver: 7.162
Map Ver: Usa_and_Canada v710.1575

Thanks in advance
Scott

Last edited:

Ask a Question