TomTom One 3rd Edition - Can't change Car Symbol

Car Symbol in 3D only

i read that car symbols do not work in the two-dimensional (2D) view... only in 3D view. in 2D, your vehicle is just a blue arrow. i am now trying to finding that blue arrow in my TT files because i would like to modify it slightly. so far, can't find it. maybe it's an .ICO (icon) file?

New menu to change car symbols in 8.010

I spent much time reading this thread up to this last post, then turned to use my TomTom ONE 3rd Ed and low and behold, there's a menu to change the car symbol right there! Turned out TomTom HOME has updated my device to 8.010 last night when I plugged it in. With the new version, changing the car symbol is through an official menu. Still a blue arrow in 2D though.

I was exactly the same as ttafamily. I just bought my tomtom one v3 and when I plugged it in to tomtom home it immediately updated the firmware.:)
I have now been on tomtom home and put a couple of car symbols on, i've also changed the start up and shut down screens.:D
I will eventually get around to driving somewhere with it .;)

With the help of TT heaven i find I can put symbols on from here:

TomTom Car Symbols

however I have photographed my own car, cut round it and put a red background and reduced to almost same size but can't get it to work.
Only difference I can see is bit depth is 32 on mine compared with 24 on the ones on this site. Can't alter this without losing a lot of quality.

Any ideas?

With the help of TT heaven i find I can put symbols on from here:

TomTom Car Symbols

You don't need TomTom Heaven anymore. The latest firmware for the TT ONE 3rd Ed gives you a car symbol menu and allows more symbols simply by placing them in the proper directory.

however I have photographed my own car, cut round it and put a red background and reduced to almost same size but can't get it to work.
Only difference I can see is bit depth is 32 on mine compared with 24 on the ones on this site. Can't alter this without losing a lot of quality.

Any ideas?

There you go, that's a pretty big difference and the unit probably doesn't have the memory or processing power to handle a higher quality graphic.

PhotoShop is a pretty good way to change these things while maintaining visual quality.

Mine is the edition described as "New Edition", the one with the straight base (not sure of the number but I got it late 2006.) I can only change picture when plugged into computer.

I have tried both low and quality reductions in size and neither will work.

I have tried both low and quality reductions in size and neither will work.

Then I would suggest using a high quality imaging editing program like PhotoShop and making absolutely sure your custom file is identical in every way... same file type, same number of pixels, etc.

Not sure if the car symbols are GIF, PNG, BMP, or whatever, but just changing the file name extension is not acceptable. Image must be converted into the proper type.

Mine is the edition described as "New Edition", the one with the straight base (not sure of the number but I got it late 2006.) I can only change picture when plugged into computer.

I'm not familiar with what you describe but since the name of the thread is "TomTom One 3rd Edition...", I assumed that's what you have. If that's the case, new TomTom firmware added a car symbol menu.

car change

i just got my one 3rd edition out of the mail box and was really delighted to see how easy is it to get it going.my one let me change the arrow to a lil red car and it looks pretty kool

Ask a Question