TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

Firmware downgrade worked

OK I am having trouble with this on my brand new 720.

I updated to the latest firmware 7.221

I updated my North America Map to 710

I added the file support_asr.dat

I can now see the to icons 'Spoken address' and 'Spoken address with dialogue' - however when I tried using them I get a message 'One moment please......preparing speech recognition (country was switched to California) - but it never responds to voice inputs. It is as if the mic was switched off. I have backed up the unit and restored as suggested by some. Any ideas?
vandergraff you need to unpack "navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab" it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\"Your profile"\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads. It looks like it is the firmware update. I had the same problem with mine that you described. When I unpacked this file and manually copied it to my tomtom then did the ARS file everything worked.

Vandergraff, I had the same exact problems as you. I was beginning to suspect that it was my upgrade to HOME 2, then upgraded to HOME 2.1.2.121, which is when I got suspicious. Icon there, but its as if the mic is off... "please wait" at the state level.

I followed ray1979's advice (how did you figure that out?), and it worked!:D
I seemed to overwrite files created last night Dec. 29, with files created in Nov. 21
I of course moved only the files, and files in folders or subfolders to their respective folders on the tomtom. I had been trying out stuff, having read all the pages in this thread since last night. I didn't have space problems for some reason when upgrading to the new map, maybe because I only made one itinerary and 2 favorites, one mp3 and one picture. Also, I think that my backups done in HOME 1 are not available in HOME 2, although I found them in the C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\ folder.
My configuration is:
HOME 2.1.2.121
App 7.221 (8572/071121)
GPS v1.21
Boot 5.4106
Map: 'North_America_2GB' v710.1584

ray1979, how did you figure to unpack the "navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab" ?

The Seeker

State is manual

Hi guys. Nice thread you have here. I just received my 720 for xmas and have to say this new voice activation was a nice surprise. Thanks everyone.

On a related side note...I got the VA to work but I have to enter the state manually. Is this the case with everyone else? Is there a way around it, can anyone pick a state by VA?

Thanks.

The state (Ohio, Connecticut) is also manual for me. Kinda silly huh? Same with dialing, no voice recognition. (I have Verizon and a simple LG VX 5300, which took forever to make it bluetooth work, had to tell the phone to actively seek, which gave it more time). It seems like its only half hands free...:confused:

The seeker

Text to speech TTS garbled

Has anyone had text to speech speak sort of garbled. That is, it says the word correctly except for the last syllable being cut out?

Thanks.

Ipod with FM transmitter

1) Has anyone bought the Ipod wire?
2)Does it work with a 3rd generation Ipod?
3)Can you see the Ipod menus on the tomtom 720?
4)Does the FM transmitter still work with the Ipod hooked up?

If so, then its worth buying it (for me).

Thank you.
The Seeker

220 error

Just got a 720 for xmas, still trying to figure all the bells and whistles of this but keep getting a 220 error when trying to update via HOME. Anyone have any clues to why I can't update?

Never mind, TomTom server issue.

Last edited:
I just looked at the files and figured out that they were what I needed since my ASR directory was blank. So I gave it a try.

Awesome Customer Support Experience

Just got off the phone with Tom Tom customer support. Getting my firmware and map updates. Mentioned the voice hack to the guy and he said he knew nothing about it but was stoked to hear about it as he says he owns a 720. Gave him the procedure from this thread and he was off the wall happy. Threw me a bone for making his day. I had mentioned needing a European map for travels and when I opened HOME to do the firmware and map download he tossed the map on there for me. Wasn't easy getting them on the phone but once I did everything was smooth and the guy was real helpful.

I know I've seen a lot of Customer Support bashing but so far, nothing but praise from me.

I'll try the hack when all is finished d/l and hope it works.

Thanks you guys for posting about this hack.

GP

Vandergraff, I had the same exact problems as you. I was beginning to suspect that it was my upgrade to HOME 2, then upgraded to HOME 2.1.2.121, which is when I got suspicious. Icon there, but its as if the mic is off... "please wait" at the state level.

I followed ray1979's advice (how did you figure that out?), and it worked!:D
I seemed to overwrite files created last night Dec. 29, with files created in Nov. 21
I of course moved only the files, and files in folders or subfolders to their respective folders on the tomtom. I had been trying out stuff, having read all the pages in this thread since last night. I didn't have space problems for some reason when upgrading to the new map, maybe because I only made one itinerary and 2 favorites, one mp3 and one picture. Also, I think that my backups done in HOME 1 are not available in HOME 2, although I found them in the C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\ folder.
My configuration is:
HOME 2.1.2.121
App 7.221 (8572/071121)
GPS v1.21
Boot 5.4106
Map: 'North_America_2GB' v710.1584

ray1979, how did you figure to unpack the "navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab" ?

The Seeker

I don't know if it has the same effect - but simply re-installing the firmware as suggested by Pedro2NR got it working for me. By the way I still only have the support_asr.dat in my ASR folder.

Now all I need is to get School POI's working - email support request is in to TomTom.

720 Voice Recognition_Need Help

Hi,

I'm trying to set up the voice recognition on my new 720. A few questions:

1. I updated my firmware to 7.221

My Map is North America v705.1481. I realize the I need 7.1 maps, but when I check for updates, I am told that there are no updates. How do I get the latest maps?

2. Is there a difference in creating the text file(to be placed into the ASR folder) on a mac or pc? My mac only allows for RTF text files, not .txt files. On a pc, how do I save as a .dat file?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

1) Has anyone bought the Ipod wire?
2)Does it work with a 3rd generation Ipod?
3)Can you see the Ipod menus on the tomtom 720?
4)Does the FM transmitter still work with the Ipod hooked up?

If so, then its worth buying it (for me).

Thank you.
The Seeker

I have an iPOD mini which works great. You can select Artists, Albums etc from the 720 and play thru the car stereo using FM. I would imagine it would also work with later iPODs - I'll try with my sons' nanos and see.

TomTom Newbie-UPDATE

So I successfully added to the ASR folder. I can now see Spoken Dialog.

However, the audio button is greyed out. This may be due to my maps not being version 7.1(I have v705.1).

Do I need to buy a new map? I just got this TT as a holiday gift and I was under the impression there was a latest map guarantee.

There is. What version of HOME are you using? I've read many people having problems (or not even seeing the option?) with latest map guarantee on a Mac. I'm a Mac user myself, but for TomTom-related stuff, the PC comes out.

I'm on HOME v1.6. I'll try to upgrade.

Also..I just switched to my pc laptop. Same issue...

Has anyone had text to speech speak sort of garbled. That is, it says the word correctly except for the last syllable being cut out?

Thanks.
I've had some instances where something does get left out in the text to speech. As an example, albeit a minor one, when it finds my cell phone (whose BT "friendly" name is ANDERSON") it says "Connected to ADDERSON". Who knows why?

I've had street names where one syllable was being followed SO quickly by another that it just got lost in the sound. Haven't had them dropped on the end yet, but the voice cadence really is odd sometimes.

Speech Kinda works

Downloaded all my updates, made and installed the asr.dat file. Speech only works for numbers, not for street names or city when inputing by address. When I get to the number screen a set of lips appears in the upper right corner and it will accept speech.

Put a shortcut on the main screen for NAVIGATE TO SPOKEN ADDRESS and when I click it says SPEECH RECOGNITION FILES NOT INSTALLED. They obviously work in 1 instance.

Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this? Did I miss something?

Just dropped the ASR file in and the voice recognition works great!! I was actually considering taking the 720 back because of the trip time issue and the weird routes that it made and getting the Garmin or Magellan, but I think I will keep it now. Very Cool!

Put a shortcut on the main screen for NAVIGATE TO SPOKEN ADDRESS and when I click it says SPEECH RECOGNITION FILES NOT INSTALLED. They obviously work in 1 instance.

Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this? Did I miss something?

i was having the same problem. it doesn't like being set to a country, try ur state and see what happens.

All,

The sequence of this could make a difference in total success/partial failure. The order I used and had complete success is:

1. Loaded the CD based version of Home, 1.6, under XP

2. Upgraded Home to version 2.x

3. Upgraded firmware to 7.221

4. Created the text file support_asr.dat using Notepad, and placed the single character of 1 in it. Then saved the file on the TomTom hard drive in the asr directory.

5. Turn TT off and back on, at this point I had both voice icons, but NO Voice Address functionality.

6. I updated my North America Map to 710 using the Guarantee option in Home.

7. Turn the TT off then back on and the Voice Address is now completely functional.

Hope this helps being all in one post.

Gerry-

Thanks for that succinct write-up, Gerry. I'm two hours into a relationship with my new 720 after bailing on my ONE XL due to irreconcilable autozoom differences.

I noted this thread with more than a passing interest and have worked through part of the process. The 720 needed the firmware upgrade out of the box, which I did. Next came the DIY dat file and, voila...only street number recognition. A quick check of the maps showed a 705 NA version.

So...back to HOME for the latest map guarantee activation and now 710 is downloading (slowly!) as I type. We shall see what the cold light of morning (or midnight at least... :rolleyes: ) shall bring.

Gotta say, this is the coolest upgrade development I've seen for anything in a very long time. Fingers crossed...

And just to touch on the subject of how difficult it can be switching devices, when I docked the 720 I got a screen saying the device was not the one associated with my account. Instead of choking right there, however, I was presented with the option of just adding the device to my current XL account. I clicked that and I was away. I suppose I should let them know that the XL is most certainly not part of my profile now, but I didn't want to derail my activation process. I'll send an email at some point in the future.

Thanks Mikecwest, trying for days NOW it works.

:) QUOTE=mikecwest;33024]A bit of advice for the novice.....

make sure that you have the "hide extension for known file types" UNCHECKED in the folder options....

You might be changing the name to support_asr.dat.txt, with the txt part hidden.

Also make sure that you are using _ and NOT a space....

Inside the text file, make sure that it contains a 1 and only a one, no spaces nothing else, not even a RETURN after the 1[/QUOTE]

Ask a Question