TomTom Go 720 spoken address disappeared

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 720
:frusty:Hi,
hopefully someone can help me out there. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to anything electrionic, so here goes. My tom tom 720 had spoken address as standard, yet after ugrading via tom tom home, it seems to have disappeared from my unit.
I have read a few threads on here, but cannot get to grips with all the terminology as to whats gone wrong. i.e firm ware version this and that. application version etc.

Basically, is there any (simple and easy to understand )way i can retrieve it without completely knackering the sat nav up completely?

Also, how do i access the 'advanced menu preferences' the unit keeps telling me to go to when offering travel tips.

Thanks if anyone could help!

For starters......

Change Preferences-->Voices-->Change Voice. Do you see choices with the word 'computer' listed? Such as Kate? If so, select that voice. And in the next screen, first click the 'Test' button. Hear anything? If so, then choose 'Select.'

You should now see a screen with options you can choose as to what the computer voice says. Make sure the first choice ('Read aloud street names') is selected. And any other options you wish. Click 'done' and you are met with a second screen of options. Again, make your choices and then 'done'.

I'm afraid I don't know what 'advanced menu preferences' you are referring to..........

For starters......

Change Preferences-->Voices-->Change Voice. Do you see choices with the word 'computer' listed? Such as Kate? If so, select that voice. And in the next screen, first click the 'Test' button. Hear anything? If so, then choose 'Select.'

You should now see a screen with options you can choose as to what the computer voice says. Make sure the first choice ('Read aloud street names') is selected. And any other options you wish. Click 'done' and you are met with a second screen of options. Again, make your choices and then 'done'.

I'm afraid I don't know what 'advanced menu preferences' you are referring to..........

Hi, thank you for your response. I may have indicated something other than you have answered. The unit does speak the street names, and I did have kate telling me directions.
It's the voice activated navigation that has disappeared. I used to be able to speak into the tom tom for a spoken address, which has now disappeared. I'm just mystified as to where its gone and if there is a way of getting it back. I have also connected to home and tried to use the unit through the computer, but its saying that this map is not recognised in red! It's so frustrating.

Where did you get the map from that won't work on the computer?

Also, look in the asr folder on your unit (use Windows Explorer). You should see a text file called support_asr.dat with nothing in it but a 1. No quotes, carriage returns or spaces).

Where did you get the map from that won't work on the computer?

Also, look in the asr folder on your unit (use Windows Explorer). You should see a text file called support_asr.dat with nothing in it but a 1. No quotes, carriage returns or spaces).

Hello, I think i may have killed the device once and for all. When i switch on the unit, it now asks me to select a map (canary islands oo western europe.) if i selecgt either it states
problem with map you cannot use this map on this device: western_europe-5

I did back up and save these maps onto my computer. Is there any way i can get them back on to the tom tom? I have had a look and it says the map applications are stored in F drive so i have had a look via internet explorer and everytthing is there. What do I have to do to transfer them back?

First, make an Explorer, not Home backup now. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-restore.html

Then, try using Home to Restore and see what happens.

Hello dhn,
thanks for the link, it was of great help.

I have created a restore as per link. copied the back up file and uploaded to onto my tom tom. All is as it was, and working, but one of the maps has not uploaded.

Tomtom Home states that this map will not load beacuse there is not enough memory to allow this map to store on the driver of the unit. I cant understand this, as I removed all the apps from the internal memory of the TT and copied over the back up file exactly.

By removing all the applications from the tomtom driver en bloc, before pasting over the back up files, have i unwittingly removed some RAM from my device? Should i have copied the files over one at a time?

If so, is my only option now to transfer this missing map onto an SDHC card? Will this work effectively and are there any other issues i need to know before i attempt this?

As i said, I still have one map on the device which copied over successfully, (Canary Islands) and i could remove this from the driver of the TT, but i am now wary that if i do this, the RAM on the device may fall even further thus not allowing me to upload any items in the future, and all my maps would than have to be on an SD card

You've been a massive help so far, and i'd appreciate any assistance with the above
Regards
Dave

You could buy a sdhc card (not sd) for the unit. It will handle up to 32 gb in size but that's overkill. Probably 4 or 8 gb, the faster the speed the better (class 6+).

Then place a map or maps on the sdhc card, insert into the unit and the application will see the maps as if they were stored on internal memory.

For starters......

Change Preferences-->Voices-->Change Voice. Do you see choices with the word 'computer' listed?.........

Hi, thank you for your response. I may have indicated something other than you have answered. The unit does speak the street names, and I did have kate telling me directions.
It's the voice activated navigation that has disappeared. .....

I know we've moved on a bit from here, but just for info, the reason dhn suggested that was that the "voice control" stuff is mysteriously bound up with the type of navigation voice you have selected.
I don't really know why, but you do need to have a "computer" voice selected for the voice control to work.(which you did have - so this is definitely for academic interest only!... :rolleyes:)

Thanks for all your help guys.
I'll certainly ensure I create new back up files on my comuter hard drive each time i back up the device in the future, Lesson learned!

I'll purchase a card as soon as poss and load the map on. Cheers!

Ask a Question