TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

OK I am having trouble with this on my brand new 720.

I updated to the latest firmware 7.221

I updated my North America Map to 710

I added the file support_asr.dat

I can now see the to icons 'Spoken address' and 'Spoken address with dialogue' - however when I tried using them I get a message 'One moment please......preparing speech recognition (country was switched to California) - but it never responds to voice inputs. It is as if the mic was switched off. I have backed up the unit and restored as suggested by some. Any ideas?

*whew* I'm stumped.

I've updated my firmware to 7.221;

I've updated my maps to 710.1584;

I've put the support_asr.dat file in the ASR directory - and ensured that the file extension is correct.

Everything is as it should be - but no success.

I don't see the icons, and I have no speech input options anywhere.

...I dunno - could this be a build date issue or something? I just received my 720, so I wonder if they've made a revision that renders this fix inoperable?

argh. I haven't tried this yet. If I have to take my brand new 720 back and ask for one with dust on the box I will...
mac_geek: Please post result when determined.

argh. I haven't tried this yet. If I have to take my brand new 720 back and ask for one with dust on the box I will...
mac_geek: Please post result when determined.

I will do.. I've read in another thread that there may be several different versions of map 710.1584 out there, however this doesn't sound right to me. When I look at the files on my Tomtom, I can see all the speech files in the map directory, so I know that something is there.

My Tomtom is working fine - i.e. it "works", just the speech thing isn't working.

I have tried the flash quick fix file, and the pin reset - both with no luck.

I have spent way too much time on this! Argh!

the .dat file must be properly there order for the speech options to appear. If they do not appear it is because of the .dat file.

So you select Navigate to, then address, you do not see the spoken address and spoken address (dialog) option?
If you connect ur unit to your computer and go to the ASR folder, locate the new .date file. Right click the file and go to properties. Under type of file, does it say DAT file?

I had the same problem. My ASR directory had no files in it. I had a CAB file in the tomtim directory on my computer that I unpacked to the ASR directory and everything worked great. I guess it contained all the files for voice to work. I will post the file name later for you when I get home. There should be a bunch of files in the ASR directory. I did not have any. I had the same problem that vandergraff has and this fixed it for me.

Last edited:
the .dat file must be properly there order for the speech options to appear. If they do not appear it is because of the .dat file.

So you select Navigate to, then address, you do not see the spoken address and spoken address (dialog) option?
If you connect ur unit to your computer and go to the ASR folder, locate the new .date file. Right click the file and go to properties. Under type of file, does it say DAT file?

Geez! Don't I feel silly! The icons ARE there and everything is working fine... I just was looking in the wrong place for the spoken address!!

Wow! This is great!

I was able to get full speech recognition working on my new 720 this morning using the info here in the forum. I can speech anywhere in NA.

To clarify something asked in this thread earlier: I am running firmware version 7.220. You do NOT need 7.221 to make speech recognition work on a 720...just the dat file.

Update: 2 minutes ago the unit updated itself to 7.221...go figure....

Last edited:
try the pin reset

I tried pin reset (pressed reset for 10 seconds and then the on button for 4 seconds). When I select 'Spoken address with dialogue' I still see the 'One moment please......preparing speech recognition (country was switched to California)' message and the 720 says 'Please state city' - however it never seems to hear (or react to) my voice input. Any other thoughts? Any way to check if the mike is really on?

I also see another comment from Ray1979 saying there should be a bunch of files in the ASR directory. The only file I have here is the support_asr.dat file.

Mac_geek, I'm glad you got it working :)

I tried pin reset (pressed reset for 10 seconds and then the on button for 4 seconds). When I select 'Spoken address with dialogue' I still see the 'One moment please......preparing speech recognition (country was switched to California)' message and the 720 says 'Please state city' - however it never seems to hear (or react to) my voice input. Any other thoughts? Any way to check if the mike is really on?

I also see another comment from Ray1979 saying there should be a bunch of files in the ASR directory. The only file I have here is the support_asr.dat file.

All you need is that file.
Can you reinstall the latest firmwire? I haven't tried HOME 2 but I've reinstalled firmwires with HOME 1.5.

vandergraff you need to unpack "navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab" it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\"Your profile"\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads. It looks like it is the firmware update. I had the same problem with mine that you described. When I unpacked this file and manually copied it to my tomtom then did the ARS file everything worked.

Frustration abounds... great device so far; however, pitfalls at every turn when trying to get this darn thing updated... poor customer experience thus far... anywho.

My 720 is two days old and I get a product code is invalid or activation period has expired, when trying to activate it for the updated maps :mad:

I am wondering now if someone generated my proper code to get a free update:eek: And... of course TT CS is gone by the time I get off work.

I got the two additional icons to show up after the firmware update; however, at this point the device only recognizes one character of the street address :rolleyes: Well it actaully recognizes all, but I can only say one and then type the rest...:mad:

I think once I have updated maps I will be very happy with the device :D

Does anyone know of anything I can do before CS opens on Monday?

Frustration abounds... great device so far; however, pitfalls at every turn when trying to get this darn thing updated... poor customer experience thus far... anywho.

My 720 is two days old and I get a product code is invalid or activation period has expired, when trying to activate it for the updated maps :mad:

I am wondering now if someone generated my proper code to get a free update:eek: And... of course TT CS is gone by the time I get off work.

I got the two additional icons to show up after the firmware update; however, at this point the device only recognizes one character of the street address :rolleyes: Well it actaully recognizes all, but I can only say one and then type the rest...:mad:

Try and use latest map guarantee from Home (File-->"Use Latest Map Guarantee")

Hi guys. Nice thread you have here. I just received my 720 for xmas and have to say this new voice activation was a nice surprise. Thanks everyone.

On a related side note...I got the VA to work but I have to enter the state manually. Is this the case with everyone else? Is there a way around it, can anyone pick a state by VA?

Thanks.

That makes two of us that can not activate the "latest map update"

get same error as the other fellow on a brand new unit from Amazon - just got it today :mad: :confused:

Only option I have under home / file are login and exit

CS is open 9:00AM to 6:00PM Saturday. You do not need the product code to use the TT. The codes are included in the box for a future activation if needed. Use the latest map guaranty under "File" in TTH. If you have map version 7.10, then you already have the latest map.

CS is open 9:00AM to 6:00PM Saturday. You do not need the product code to use the TT. The codes are included in the box for a future activation if needed. Use the latest map guaranty under "File" in TTH. If you have map version 7.10, then you already have the latest map.

ok maybe i am stupid but when in tom tom home i click on file in the upper left corner and all i see if logon and exit

i currently have the following loaded

app 7.221 (8572/071121) OS:2318
Map NA 2GB v705.1481

So if I understand I should be able to upgrade the maps -

help clue me in as I feeling a little weak minded

---------------

Ok didn't realize there was yet another update to TTH and now I found it - thanks for the help

Last edited:
That's really strange... you ought to see this (below). You might try reinstalling the home software from the website if you've got the patience for a slow download.

Attachments

• TTHome.jpg
    TTHome.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 299

Ask a Question