TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

only first # works for VR

:confused:
Hello, I have seen this question in here but no answer for it.
I have all the right software and some of the voice regonition works.
I can say the city and street name ( works great ! )
but it will only accept the first digit I say. I try to say 2 then 7, the 2 works but not the 7.

This is a really cool & fun feature but does anyone know why the senond # does not take ??

Any help would be great !!

Thanks,

Tony

i just tried the reset pin and still no go with the 2nd digit

Last edited:
:confused:
Hello, I have seen this question in here but no answer for it.
I have all the right software and some of the voice regonition works.
I can say the city and street name ( works great ! )
but it will only accept the first digit I say. I try to say 2 then 7, the 2 works but not the 7.

This is a really cool & fun feature but does anyone know why the senond # does not take ??

Any help would be great !!

Thanks,

Tony
Haven't had that problem here. Try typing the same address. The TT won't let you enter an address number that it doesn't believe is valid.

no go

i have trien it a hundred times even with poi's that are listed as # 97
i can type the second # in, that works. but i dont get why i cant say both #'s

Tony

i have trien it a hundred times even with poi's that are listed as # 97
i can type the second # in, that works. but i dont get why i cant say both #'s

Tony
OK -- pardon if this sounds stupid, as you're probably well aware of it...

You aren't trying to say "ninety seven" are you? If you do, it'll probably pick up the 9 alone. Each number needs to be done separately (e.g., "nine" and then after that one is recorded, "seven").

1 number spoken at a time

i have read that you have to say each # seperate, so thats what i do.
i say 2 wait a second or two and then say 7

after i try it three times the screen switches to the map and sends me to # 2

Last edited:
now it wont work at all

im just getting into more trouble playing with this thing.
maybe i should just go back to the normal operation.
now it does not seem to hear me at all.
i'm just about ready to give up.

Tony

what the heck !!!!

i used the pin reset on the bottom, held it for 10 second. and now i cant even get it to turn on. i have such electronics rage !!! i want to throw it !!! ahhhghg !!

ok it finnaly turned back on. but still the original problem with only one # reconized

can anyone please help me?

Last edited:
I was able to upgrade the firmware to 7.221 and the maps to 7.10 on my tt 720. But I'm not computer savvy. I need some help on creating this support_asr.dat text file. and putting it on the asr folder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all on the forum.

Fish - Shoot me your email in a PM and I'll email you the file and an explanation. Otherwise try a quick search. The steps have been described in depth somewhere within these 19 pages. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Great site I have spent allnight here. I was looking for a way to make my samsung BT work but found this thread instead :)

I am fairly certain everything is good except for my map version. I have 7.05 not 7.10 I have d/l the latest updates from my go but it wants to charge me for the 7.10

I have read something in this thread about map guarantee. I am guessing I should be able to get the update within 30 days for free?

Please forgive e if this makes no sense as I am tired and going to sleep now.

Thanks for any and all help.

From the 920 manual:

Numbers should be pronounced as individual numerals, but without
waiting in between each digit. For example, you would say the number 357
as one continuous sentence, "Three, five, seven,".
If the number is shown incorrectly, say, "Back" or "No" or tap the Backspace
key. Then say the number again.
Tip: If you say, "Back" when there are no numbers shown on the screen, then
your GO will return you to the previous screen.
When the number is shown correctly say, "Done" or "OK." Alternatively,
enter the number by tapping the screen.
To select a crossroads as the location, say "Crossing".
Note: You need to say numbers in the same language that is used for menu
buttons.

i used the pin reset on the bottom, held it for 10 second. and now i cant even get it to turn on. i have such electronics rage !!! i want to throw it !!! ahhhghg !!

ok it finnaly turned back on. but still the original problem with only one # reconized

can anyone please help me?

Try saying them quicker without a pause in between the numbers.

thank you

I went home last night after printing out the manual, I realized that is how to say the numbers. easy fix now that I know not to wait before saying the second number. If I say 2 then 7 right after each other (SAME EXHALE), it works great.
Now I just wonder why sometimes it will not hear me speak. If I hit the reset button then it will work for a few times( being shut on & off ) then all of a sudden it stops hearing me. I wonder if its because I keep playing with it so much ( still having fun just figuring out all the options ) anyways,

Thank you all for the help.

I absolutly love this thing !!! my new favorite toy lol

Tony

Bluetooh does NOT work now!

For you that had used BT on your 720, does it still work after "enabling" VR?

Here are the steps for those who are not "tech-savvy" (this is compiled from previous pages; thus credit goes to all those that contributed)... Sorry if this is hard to read! I tried to make it as easy as possible...

To enable Voice Recognition:
1. Install current version of TT Home v2.1 (http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17)
a. Please note that there is two MAJOR differences between v1.6 and v2.1:
i. v2.1 will enable to automatically install updates as well as new maps by clicking on FILE in the top left corner followed by “Use Latest Map Guarantee”.
ii. When creating backups in v1.6, you were able to NAME your backups and thus recover that specific backup. In v2.1 you are NOT ABLE to do that!! (IMO, HUGE drawback to new TT Home application). What will happen is TT Home v2.1 will create a folder called “Backup01” in “My Documents” folder (C:\Documents and Settings\”YourUserProfile”\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backups\GO) folder and it will ALWAYS REPLACE YOUR MOST CURRENT BACKUP!!
I will explain how you could get around this issue later (see 5.a).

2. Set your TT 720 into the USB cradle and when asked if you wish to connect to your computer, tap “YES” on the TT screen.

3. Once TT Home v2.1 is installed, update to the most current FW (firmware) or as TT refers to it (App).
a. This should come as a free update (although I am not 100% positive). Currently, the most current version (as of January 4, 2008) is version 7.221.

4. Install the most current maps for NA (see 1.a.i. above).
a. As of January 4, 2008, the map version is “North_America_2GB” v710.1584.
b. You can verify of both FW and the MAP have been installed on your TT by tapping “Signal” on your TT then “Version”.

5. At this point, I would suggest you create a backup of your TT 720.
a. When creating a backup, upon completion, go to “C:\Documents and Settings\”YourUserProfile”\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backups\GO” and create a copy of “Backup01” folder and name it “Backup_MMDDYYY” (replace MMDDYY with Month_Date_Year so you will know which backup you want to retrieve later on). Of course, you may wish to name them anyway you are pleased, maybe “Backup_Map_v710”). So GO folder will have to folders: “Backup01” and a new folder, which should be a copy of your most recent backup.
b. To restore your backup (or any backup that you wish), simply rename the backup folder that you wish to restore to “Backup01”. For example, in your GO folder, you might have three folders “Backup_010108”, “Backup010208” and “Backup_010408”. If you wish to restore January 2nd backup (010208), simply rename “Backup_010208” to “Backup01”. Open TT Home application and click on “Restore”.

6. Create a file called “support_asr.dat” and place it in your TT 720 ASR folder.
a. Right click on your desktop and the menu will pop-up. Scroll down with your mouse to “NEW” and click on Folder (it will be named “New Folder” and that’s OK).
b. Open newly created folder, click on TOOLS (top left) then FOLDER OPTIONS. You will see four tabs on top; click on VIEW.
i. You will see bunch of checked/unchecked options, but you are interested in only one: “Hide extensions for known file types” (UNCHECK IT!).
c. Click on APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS, followed by a YES (message will pop-up). Then click on APPLY followed by OK (on the bottom). You just set a folder in which you will create this precious files that will enable you to use VR on your TT!
i. Yes, you can do this in any folder, but this way you will know where your file is, etc.
d. While your new folder is still open, right click in the empty white space, scroll down to “NEW” and click on “Text Document”.
e. Double click to open it and just press number 1 on your keyboard (no spaces and do not hit return). Now close it and click “YES” when it asks you if you want to save it.
i. Your new text file should look like this “New Text Document.txt”
ii. If you open it, you will only see 1 and that is it.
f. Now, rename the file by right clicking on it and chose “Rename”
i. The name will be highlighted blue and hit BACKSPACE to erase everything.
ii. Then type (rename it to) “support_asr.dat” but DO NOT USE QUOTATION MARKS!

7. Click on “My Computer” on your PC desktop.
a. If you have your TT still plugged into USB, you should see an icon that says “Tom Tom (G: )” or some other drive letter (after updates mine says “INTERNAL (M: )”
i. Double click on TomTom to open it’s contents.
1. You will see a folder called “ASR” – open it.
a. If there are NO files see step 11.
2. Now open that newly created folder on your desktop, and copy/paste (or simply drag) the new file that you created (support_asr.dat) into “ASR” folder on your TomTom.

8. Make sure it’s safe to unplug (take out of the cradle) your TT 720 and take it out.

9. Tap the screen (map) then go to “NAVIGATE TO…” followed by “ADDRESS”.
a. You should see two new icons on the bottom “Spoken Address” and “Spoken Address (dialog)”.
i. I would prefer the second one, b/c when you tap it, it will ask you to “Please state CITY”. I would just speak “CLEVELAND” and it would give you a list of CITY with a number in front of it (i.e., “1-CLEVELAND”). Then just speak 1 (for picking that city) and it will ask you to do the same for street and number (you do have to say “One” “two” “three” “four” for the house number).
ii. You do have to click on “Need to arrive at a particual time” (if you have this option enabled).

10. And you are DONE!

11. If you do not have files in your ASR folder, navigate to “My Documents” folder (C:\Documents and Settings\”YourProfileName”\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads.
a. After you completed steps 3 and 4 (just 4 most likely), you should see a couple of folder and two files: “navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab” and “navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.toc”
b. Double click on “navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab” to open.
c. Do steps 7 through 7.a.1.
d. Now drag the contents of “navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab” into ASR folder. If asked to replace the current files, click on “YES”.
i. Additional step you might consider: once you done the step above, highlight all the contents of the folder by pressing “CTRL” then “A” (while holding CTRL key). Let go and right click on any file that is highlighted then click on PROPERTIES. Uncheck all the attributes (especially “READ ONLY”). This should enable TOMTOM to write/update files if they need to be.

Hope this helps!
I do have to say that after doing step 11, my TT does have VR and I can confirm that it does indeed work perfectly!

HOWEVER I am more upset that my BT capability is gone! My TT does sync with my phone with no problems, even accepts calls, but I cannot hear or speak into my TT so person on the other side of the call CANNOT hear me!! I tried resetting my TT, backing it up, using TT Fix utility and nada…

If someone had similar problem and was able to fix it, please share! I like my TT a lot (even though I had it for two days), but if I am not able to resolve it, I think I will return it and just keep original settings.

Also, is it normal for TT to turn off while sitting in the cradle and you don’t use it (it’s plugged in and charging)?
[UPDATE] Never mind, I found the reason for this... https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=5251&page=4

Thanks,

Last edited:
For you that had used BT on your 720, does it still work after "enabling" VR?
Yes, it surely does, at least for the data side, which is all I've used (traffic). The audio isn't good enough for me thru the internal speaker to be using it for hands-free. Will give it a try and see what happens...

momentarily...

Just turned hands-free back on. Called home. Talked to wife. Hands-free works just fine.

Last edited:
Yes, it surely does, at least for the data side, which is all I've used (traffic). The audio isn't good enough for me thru the internal speaker to be using it for hands-free. Will give it a try and see what happens...

momentarily...

Just turned hands-free back on. Called home. Talked to wife. Hands-free works just fine.

I don't know what's wrong with mine... :confused: :(
Everything worked fine before I updated it with new the FW and map. Granted I haven't tested BT after I done the initial update, but after I tried VR (and failed at first), I got VR to work and TT announces that it has connect to my phone. I can dial and receive calls as I have already mentioned, but I cannot hear anyone and they cannot hear me when I speak.

I e-mailed TT CS through their website, so we'll see what they say... I guess worse-comes-to-worse, I'll replace it since I just bought it yesterday...

Cerberus- Your instructions are perfect, everything works including BT with my Verizon Razor V3....now all I have to do is figure out how to get traffic..Thanks Much

Last edited:

Ask a Question