TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

thanks

Cerberus- Followed your steps and now have VR working fine. Thanks! Only exception is I don't have a file named Backup01 anywhere on my PC.

Cerberus- Followed your steps and now have VR working fine. Thanks! Only exception is I don't have a file named Backup01 anywhere on my PC.
That would be a directory. By default, it should have landed in

My Documents/TomTom/Home/Backups/Go

H E L P!

I was not able to get my BT to work and I have no idea why... I've tried backup/restore; reset; download new maps/fw; using TT clear fix tool - and NOTHING!

So I decided to take my TT back to Sam's Club for an exchange. Once I got brand new unit in my hands, I took it to my car, opened it, synced my phone, but when making/receiving a call same thing happened - I was not able to hear/speak through my TT! So, I went back and exchanged it again...

This time, I took it home, hooked it up to my PC, updated with all the latest fw/maps, synced it and – STILL DOES NOT WORK!! So I decided to call TT CS.

After a few minutes of waiting, I was able to reach CS. The CS guy was really nice and he tried everything to help me out. He even put me on a hold, uploaded older version of fw (705) to see if it's TT's software, hardware or my phone. I explained to him that my first TT synced and worked fine until I made updates through TT Home. After downloading and installing the older 705 version, I synced my phone again and TT still does NOT work (I can call/receive calls, but I CANNOT HEAR OR SPEAK). So the guy asks me if my phone is listed on the TT phone list thing and I said "sort of". I have Nokia 6682 which is the same thing as 6680/6681 (where the only difference between the two is that 6682 is the US version without the front camera which is used for live chat over the camera). I told him that both versions are virtually the same and I don't see that being an issue since I was able to sync my first TT unit with the same phone and it worked fine until the update was made. So he tries to transfer to me to "tech" department or something, but they reject me based on the "fact" that my phone is "not listed" on their phone listing. I asked him what if I take it to my local AT&T store and try to sync one of the "approved" phones IN THE STORE to the TT and it still DOES NOT WORK? He said that in that case I should send the unit back to TT for them to inspect it and most likely deem it "defective" product.

So for you that have actually read my novel, do you think it's worth to send the unit back to TT (and most likely paying for S&H) or just return it to the store and wait another 6 months or so for another unit to come out? I don't know if I will have to pay for S&H and I do not agree that I should be liable to do so since this is the 3rd unit so far...

What are Your thoughts?
Thanks,

PS - I will report my findings as soon as I come back from AT&T (probably around 7PM EST). I don't know what to hope for: for my phone not to syncing correctly with TT (even though it does and the first one worked just fine) or that there's a problem with TT...

[UPDATE]:
Well, so I went to my local AT&T to test one of the "approved phones" and... proved myself wrong! Yes, I admit! :) I tested Nokia N75 (which for you that care) has been discontinued by Nokia. Anywho, sync right away and I was able to hear and speak. What surprises me is that A) I don't really understand why would my phone work fine with the first unit (TT 720) I tried before I updated it and B) why doesn't it work even though it's the same phone as Nokia 6680/81. I might try another phone that's on the list just to make sure and will, as always, report my findings...

Also, my VR works just fine...

Now to get a phone that works.. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips!!

I stumbled upon this forum trying to find a way to sync my Treo 680 to my Tomtom 720 (which I've finally done) and I find this voice activation thread.

I completed all the steps here and am happy to say it works like a charm. I haven't tried it in the car, but here in the apartment it works anyways.

BT still works also!

Thanks a bunch,
Sheridan

Wow...what a SAGA.! Well worth the 2+ hours to read and was nearly as interesting as a Tom Clancy Novel.!! ;) Reminds me of the days hacking DTV & cards and Dish with nagra 1/2 .... tayada tayada. Still got my dbl LNB elipsical dish oriented to Dish...I just may go play again soon.!! Y'all got my blood going again.

KEWL guys. :cool: I still don't have my go720 (UPS by Wed)..but I sure as heck have some pretty good instructions and your previous exerience to back me up.

Thank you to those that got it going.

Cheers,

stk

Last edited:
My Voice Recognition disapeared after upgrading from 7.220 to 7.221...

.dat file is still there in the VSR folder, etc etc.....

Tried deleting it, reseting, putting it back, re-setting..... seems to be gone now...

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks!

Tried deleting it, reseting, putting it back, re-setting..... seems to be gone now...

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks!

Try a reset with a paperclip, Rick.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks!

Connect your unit to your computer and locate your map folder.
Make sure the folder still has the cspeech_xx.dat files.

Connect your unit to your computer and locate your map folder.
Make sure the folder still has the cspeech_xx.dat files.

Yep.... They're all there. (yes, to the other person who suggested, I did paperclip resets before, during and after all of this.)

All the necesary files appear to be present, but the icons to use ASR for entering an address have disappeared. :-(

...Rick

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks!

And your map is NA 7.10?

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks!

The default on the GO 720 for voice recognition is off....needs to be turned back on maybe ? ? ?

The default on the GO 720 for voice recognition is off....needs to be turned back on maybe ? ? ?

The 720 does not have a defult setting. it is a bonus tweek with adding 1 file turned the voice recognition on:)

Man I want one bad now just cannot pull the trigger not knowing if I can sell my TT1 V2 :(

No it doesn't, thats the problem!

Tap your Signal bar and it should tell you which version you have...
FYI - If you operating your TT through HOME, it WILL show v7.220 (even though you have v7.221 installed!)

In case you do not have it, I would call Customer Service and they will most likely upload new firmware on their website for you to download (you MUST have TT on-line account already set up) - I know this works, since they did it for me.

No it doesn't, thats the problem!

Well, the software for your unit should be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\program\TomTomApplicationforGO520GO720GO920\navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab

You could try this:

1. Move the .cab file to another location on your hard drive (for safe keeping).
2. In TomTom Home, select 'remove items from my unit'.
3. Select 'application. You should see a warning that the unit won't work. Go ahead anyway.
4. Now, in TomTom home, select 'update my unit'.

What should happen is that the software shouldn't see an application and offer it again as a download. Accept it.

By the way.......before doing any of the above, confirm the version of the software on your unit by tapping the satellite bars and seeing what it shows, NOT by seeing what TomTom home reports. There is a software bug such that TTHome ALWAYS reports an incorrect (old) version.

Just finished tweeking my new today 720 with this file for voice reconition and it works great. Got the 710.1584 map today and the latest firmware.

What a awesome tweek.:D

Ask a Question