TomTom GO 720 is not detected by windows.

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I have had the Go 720 for many years now. I have not used it for a while, but I recently pulled it out and was hoping to update the maps, but my new computer does not even recognize that it is connected. It is a Windows 7 64bit. The TomTom dock is connected to the computer, and is able to charge the device, and it even asks if I want to connect it to the computer, but nothing happens with the computer when I do. No prompts to install drivers, no hard drive icon appearing in My Computer, and no new devices in the device manager. Is this an incompatability with the old firmware on the device and windows 7, or is there a workaround to get them communicating?

Note: I have used the reset pin, as well as a factory reset. I have also removed the SD card (which held nothing anyway).

I have had the Go 720 for many years now. I have not used it for a while, but I recently pulled it out and was hoping to update the maps, but my new computer does not even recognize that it is connected. It is a Windows 7 64bit. The TomTom dock is connected to the computer, and is able to charge the device, and it even asks if I want to connect it to the computer, but nothing happens with the computer when I do. No prompts to install drivers, no hard drive icon appearing in My Computer, and no new devices in the device manager. Is this an incompatability with the old firmware on the device and windows 7, or is there a workaround to get them communicating?

Note: I have used the reset pin, as well as a factory reset. I have also removed the SD card (which held nothing anyway).
Are you certain that you are using the original USB cable? Some USB cables have more of the pins connected than other cables, so you might not be getting a data connection if you are using another cable. (Nothing magic about the TomTom cable, it is just insurance that you are using a cable that has all of the necessary connections.)

- Tom -

Are you certain that you are using the original USB cable? Some USB cables have more of the pins connected than other cables, so you might not be getting a data connection if you are using another cable. (Nothing magic about the TomTom cable, it is just insurance that you are using a cable that has all of the necessary connections.)

- Tom -
It is the original.

Used to have that problem, too. Have you tried what we call a 'pin reset' yet? Gently, with the end of a paperclip or similar, depress the reset button in the bottom of the unit. For a while - reasons unknown - I had to do that for the better part of 6 months each time I'd connect. Problem went away some time after a new code load.

Ask a Question