TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

hey guys and gals, im new here. just got my tomtom 720 4 days ago. so its the latest version of the maps and i just tried the asr file trick and now i see the 2 icons in the "navigate to box".

arent i supposed to see something on the main screen? is there something im missing like im supposed to set up? i click "spoken address" and "spoken address dialog" and the next screen comes up but when i talk it doesnt change anything. was i supposed to record my voice or something? also, ever since i installed the asr file it keeps saying "welcome to tomtom" which it wasnt doing before i had the file in.

i live in ny, so is it that the voice recognition is not working there? am i supposed to see "lips" on my screen or something, cuz i dont.

also, what does that button to the immediate right of the spacebar do? it looks like something microphone related.

any help would be great, uve been awesome so far. i thought the 720 would never get speech recognition and now u guys proved it could. thanks again!

edit: i added the "navigate to spoken address (dialog) option to my quick button and every time i click it, it says "speech recognition files not found". it doesnt make sense, if the files werent installed, then there shouldnt even be a button to click thats related to voice input. i really could use some help, i created the file correctly and put it in the ASR folder.

Last edited:
How to update firmare?

Hi guys,

Just updated to firmware 7.221 like... a min ago. Dont know what it fixed yet but we will find out :rolleyes:

I don't know what firmware version that I have. I can not find any firmware updates by searching TomTom's website (although I see information that it exists). I did all the updating that Home 2.1 will let me do. I don't know how to verify what firmware I have. A search of the Help file in Home gives no results if I search Firmware.

I put the .dat file into the ASR folder and I see no change on my TT

I am starting to finally get frustrated, so if anyone has any patience to give me some help, I would sure appreciate it.

Joey

Finally

I got it! I swear though, I did not do anything new. The icons just finally showed up on the TT for speech recognition.
Joey

but do they actually work? i have the icons but it doesnt let me do anything, does anybody have an idea of what i should do? do i completely reset the system to original firmware? what is the backup trick everyone is talkign about?

keep trying....I guess

but do they actually work? i have the icons but it doesnt let me do anything, does anybody have an idea of what i should do? do i completely reset the system to original firmware? what is the backup trick everyone is talkign about?

Yes,
It worked. I have not tried it in the car, but it worked at the computer. The tt heard the city and street names and listed them on the TT, then I selected the one i wanted. I have no idea why it finally started working, I just did what was suggested on the forum....upgrade the map and firmwire and add the .dat file to the TT. Now, I just have to find an easier way to mount it in my car.

joey

is there a way to start fresh with default firmware so then i could try again? anyone?

either restore settings, in the change preferences menu or reload your initial backup, which you did make right:eek:

Ok, total Newb here.

Trying to get this to work, but I'm on a Mac. I have all the updates, but trying to the .dat file seems out of my realm of knowledge. Probably something really easy, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Ok, total Newb here.

Trying to get this to work, but I'm on a Mac. I have all the updates, but trying to the .dat file seems out of my realm of knowledge. Probably something really easy, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

I did it on my mac....

Make sure you do an APPLE-I to make sure that the file does not have a hidden extension of .txt, you dont want a .dat.TXT.

If it is there, then rename it without the .txt, when the warning comes say USE .DAT

I just got my 720 the other day, so everything is all up to date. I went and added the file, did a soft reset, and there it was. Everything works great. Thanks for the advice here!

Now when is voice recognition going to be added to the mobile phone area so I can make a call using it?

Ok that was super easy. Thanks. Now all I need to do is get the NA 7.10 map. :)

I did it on my mac....

Make sure you do an APPLE-I to make sure that the file does not have a hidden extension of .txt, you dont want a .dat.TXT.

If it is there, then rename it without the .txt, when the warning comes say USE .DAT

TomTom Home says "up to date" but I have old FW

TomTom Home 2.1 says my 720 is up to date... However when I check the version, I have 7.220, and I do NOT have voice recognition. The software does NOT list an update for my device. I did download the new North American 2GB map though. I would like to download the 7.221 firmware to this device. I searched 15 pages of this thread, as well as googled for other sites, and I have not found one single link to a file that provides this update. I am assuming it is only available through the TomTom Home 2.1 software? If a copy can be provided to me, I would appreciate it.

Also, anyone know any hacks, hidden menus, diagnostic-level information, etc, that this device provides... I know on the Magellan I had (and returned, defective), there was a hidden L L R R L R tapping sequence to get the system menu

Thanks for the info

Firmware 7.221

wx4tcl

I called Tomtom and told them I didn't have the latest firmware and they helped my download it. As far as voice recognition just follow the instrutions on this thread it's very easy

im using notepad but can not save the file as a dat, the only option is to save as a text file

On my operating system notepad auto saves as .txt If you want a .dat file then you have to name your file followed by .dat Example arc.dat Then do a save. It will be saved as a .dat file.

On my operating system notepad auto saves as .txt If you want a .dat file then you have to name your file followed by .dat Example arc.dat Then do a save. It will be saved as a .dat file.

Actually, you have to make sure you save it as ALL FILES oe the result will be support_asr.dat.txt and you don't want that.

Found this site yesterday while setting up my wifes Christmas present, a Go720. I was not happy when I found out it did not have the voice address input since the first ad I saw was on the TomTom UK website. There it says the 720 has it, and on the US site its missing that statement. The US user manual says only the 920 has this.

So.... following the instructions here, I used TomTom Home and updated the firmware, the US map and then created the text file and slid it in the directory structure on the 720. Reboot and the 720 has voice address input and dialog input icons that function.

Whoo HOO!!! Now this begs the question of will the US 720 start coming with this feature right out of the box.

A big thanks to those posting here with this VERY helpful information!

Gerry-

Last edited:

Ask a Question