TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

Ok, I did all the updates, maps and added the dat file...got the spoken address icon, but the microphone doesn't seem to be picking up any spoken words/sounds. Am I missing some setting? is there a way to test that the mic is actually working?

Ok, I did all the updates, maps and added the dat file...got the spoken address icon, but the microphone doesn't seem to be picking up any spoken words/sounds. Am I missing some setting? is there a way to test that the mic is actually working?

I think the problem is your map, you are not using 710.xxxx, are you?....or are you using a tomtom that does not have a mic??

SOLVED!!

So I found a solution in the 920 forum...

It has something to do with making a backup via Home that can disable the mic.

The solution was to make a new backup then do a restore right after.

Now my mic is working and so is the Voice input!!!

Last edited:
Okay, im frustrated. I have one of the older model 720s and I got tomtom customer service to let me downlaod the new 7.10 maps. The problem is, the file is almost 2gb and my tomtom wont let me downlaod it because there is not enough space! Ive tried deleting the old map 7.05 which is around 1.6Gb, ive even trimmed down alot of unecessary files, and yet it still needs space. how did you guys download the new map to your tomtom? IVe even tried putting the file on a 2Gb SD card, but the tomtom will not recognize the map on the SD card. HELP!

I finally got mine to work. I had to unzip the NA 7.10 file and delete the speech files for states I dont plan on visiting, then placed it on the 2GB SD card. It now reads from the SD card and I now have a choice between the old and new map.

DCCOURTEAU - I would just drag your old folder North_America_2GB folder to your desktop, then drag the new one in from your SD Card (North_America). Make sure you just copy any POIs/favorites over before doing so. If it fails, you can always undo what you did. Ive hacked at my tomtom so much, its been restored at least 30 times.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did to get it to fit... I dragged the old North America folder to my desktop, then deleted it from the 720 and dragged the new North America folder onto the 720. That did the trick for me, and I have a copy of the old folder just in case....

"Firmware" refers to the software version loaded on the TomTom 720 unit itself. It *must* be version 7.221 for speech recognition to work. You can determine what version is currently loaded by tapping the satellite bars in the lower right side of the screen when you turn it on.

If your version is a lower number, what _should_ happen when you start up TomTom home version 2.1 and your unit is on and docked, the Home software should offer you an update for your unit when you have selected 'Update My TomTom'.

NO luck in upgrading my map in the original GO720 from august 5th.

I spoke to tomtom support today. The first person told me the 720 has no voice input. I told her about this forum and asked for her supervisor. He said the voice input has errors and they don't have 720s with voice input there (wherever "there" is). But he put the 1.9 gig map onto my tomtom home program to download (not on their own website).

Unfortunately, no matter how much I delete after deleting the original North_America map folder (I actually moved it to the desktop, fortunately, and had to move it back at the end), I am still over 60 megs short of space.

So I inserted a 2 GB sD card, which it accepted, and set up the dlownload to that card. After about 25 minutes of downloading, I was told I'm about 25 megs short and the map couldn't download.

Since it is not a zip file that I can edit as some others have done, removing voice files for various states, I can't benefit from the new map or voice entry.

I left a reply on their website where the "my questions" area is to see if they could give me the 1.7 GB map instead.

Any other suggestions?

So I inserted a 2 GB sD card, which it accepted, and set up the dlownload to that card. After about 25 minutes of downloading, I was told I'm about 25 megs short and the map couldn't download.

to be clear....after 25 minutes of DOWNLOADING or 25 minutes of INSTALLING? If Installing, then you're ok. Go into the zip file (the map IS a zip file) in the map folder of the download folder of the home folder for tomtom. Open the zip and start stripping cspeech_<state>.dat files you won't ever use. That should free up space to install again.

If indeed, it's 25 minutes of downloading, then I don't know what the problem is. The NA 1.9 GB file should fit on a 2 Gb SD card.

And Support (again) is wrong. Many 720 users with NA 7.10 and Firmware 7.221 have applied the text file support_asr.dat with a 1 in it and applied it to the ASR folder on the unit. It does work.

Asbaker,
I ran into the same problems you did, exact same scenerios, nothing would fit, it even wont fit on a 2Gb card (since theres overhead, it ends up being 1.86Gb) and the NA7.10 file is over 1.9GB. So, heres what I did:

1. Moved enough files from my tomtom to the desktop to cover 2GB of space.
2. downloaded the NA7.10 zip file to the tomtom
3. moved the NA7.10 zip file from the tomtom to the desktop and put back all my files back onto the tomtom, so its back to the way it was.
4. unzipped the NA 7.10 zip file and removed speech files for states I dont plan on visiting...ever. Now my file is around 1.6Gb
5. Now you have a folder called "North_America" that should fit.
6. Move the old "North_America_2GB" folder from the TomTom to the desktop and replaced it with the new "North_America" folder.
7. I made sure that I copied any POIs I created in the old folder and moved it to the new.
8. make sure you have the "Support_ASR.Dat" file created and placed in the ASR folder.
9. Test out your new voice commands and put a smile on your face!:D

Note: there are huge files on your tomtom that you dont need, like the MP3 files and the audio books. those can definately be deleted.

unable to get speech in the 720

What have I done wrong with this file.
support_asr.dat 1kb text document
this what I have in the asr file
it is a text document
unable to get speech to work thanks for the help
Do I need to delete this one and do up a different one
Used note pad maybe I saved it as the wrong file.
What do i need do do to fix this? How do you rename a text file to a dat file?
Thank Ray:eek:

use notepad and choose save as, than type in the full name with extension .dat.:)

Does anyone know the date when the 7.10 maps were officially released by TomTom?

Having this date might be a good argument into receiving an update to that version if it was within a few days of that "30 day latest map guarantee"

unable to get speech in the 720

Still can't get the voice I went in asr open the file and save as support_asr.dat .I have I have the # 1 in this folder .Still not working.
Thanks this is the only text document in this folder.

Still can't get the voice I went in asr open the file and save as support_asr.dat .I have I have the # 1 in this folder .Still not working.
Thanks this is the only text document in this folder.

Confirm under Control Panel-->Folder Options-->Advanced, that you have Hide extensions for known file types UNCHECKED.

Otherwise, your file is REALLY being named support_asr.dat.txt and that ain't what you want.:eek:

To dhn

Thanks for the heads-up on the zip file. It did download to my computer and I didn't realize it. It just could not install due to its size. I was not able to adjust to remove some of the State speech files and drag it to the Tom Tom as it did not register as a map. I had to restore the old map and install the new file to a 2 GB sd card.

To Tundra914

Thank you for the detailed reply. I really did not understand exactly how to use the new file. However I was not able to drag the old map file and replace it with a folder called North America that was filled with the unzipped new map file. When I turned on the 720 it said I had no map.

In addition, even though I had removed all of those extra speech files and made the zip file smaller, using Tom Tom home to install the new map was a fiasco. It kept assuming that this zip file was the original size for some strange reason and of course I did not have enough room for it.

What worked for me was to restore my backup, and then install the new map file to a 2 GB SD card (which is really only 1.9 something in size - why?). I could then switch between the two maps.

However the Tom Tom said I did not have a voice input even with the ASR dat file. At this point I was able to use tom-tom home to remove the old map file and drag the new one from the memory chip home.

Thanks to everyone here, and to a Tom Tom support supervisor who sent me the new map even though my unit is four years old, I now have the newer map and voice input.

Mic Input Not Working...fix It Easily

Download TomTom Clear Flash Utility. This will fix it....

I have read about some crazy backup and restore procedure, but that sounds pretty time consuming........ One of my 720's did that yesterday, and it was easily resolved with that tool.

Thanks DHN, I see you used my quote ;)

Ask a Question