TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

For those of you who have it working, do you all have map version 7.10 or will it work with older maps???

Hey, great forum here.

I did the upgrade just now and added the file and have voice recognition for entering addresses. It works fairly well actually and I really like the spoken dialog option.

I'm on 7.10 for maps and the 7.221 FW.

Looks like it is true you can only speak the address number, not city or street when you have map v7.05.

Anyone want to share 7.10?:D

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Well I just got my 720 delivered today 349 shipped from Crutchfield.
I have been reading these forums but did not register until today and all I can say is WOW! I had been feeling bad since you could get the 920 for 399 at Costco after shipping and tax around 440. I decided that I would stay with the 720 and knew one of these days we would have a fix for VR!

I just did not expect it so soon as in Today! Yee Ha a bunch of happy 720 campers here!

I did the text file on only got the lips. I did get the new update ironic enough when I hooked up to Home for the first time. Now I am doing the latest maps which should give full control for the Voice.

WOW What timing.

And I have to really feel this was all a marketing scheme by TT to get people to buy the 920 over the 720. Oh well thank god for forums.

Thanks again everyone rocks!

--Mark

So do I just do this:

You need to create a text file support_asr.dat and just put 1 in the file. Then copy it to the ASR directory.

? Thanks

I was able to get both US and Canadian addresses by voice recognition. This is definitely going to be fun to play with.
I have s/w version 7.221 and North American map ver. 710.1584 on my 720.

changing the file name

A bit of advice for the novice.....

make sure that you have the "hide extension for known file types" UNCHECKED in the folder options....

You might be changing the name to support_asr.dat.txt, with the txt part hidden.

Also make sure that you are using _ and NOT a space....

Inside the text file, make sure that it contains a 1 and only a one, no spaces nothing else, not even a RETURN after the 1

A bit of advice for the novice.....

make sure that you have the "hide extension for known file types" UNCHECKED in the folder options....

You might be changing the name to support_asr.dat.txt, with the txt part hidden.

Also make sure that you are using _ and NOT a space....

Inside the text file, make sure that it contains a 1 and only a one, no spaces nothing else, not even a RETURN after the 1

:D mike ,
clean cut dissection there mate!! very useful advice for novice, indeed!
hahahaha:)

Wow, I'm amazed how well this works. This is from the UK manual and may help answer some questions.

When you plan a journey with your TomTom GO, instead of tapping the screen to type in an address, you can use speech recognition to say the
address.

Your GO recognises place and street names spoken using the local language
and pronunciation. It is not possible to using speech recognition to say place and street names in all countries.

Spoken address (dialogue)
Tap this button to enter an address using only speech. Using this option,
your GO can recognise the following:
? Commands: Yes, No, Back, Done, OK, Crossing.
? Street names.
? Place names.
? Numbers: Numbers should be pronounced as individual numerals. For
example, to say the number 35, say, "Three" and then say, "Five."
Using Spoken address (dialogue), you can enter information without tapping the screen.

Spoken address
Tap this button to enter an address using both speech and by tapping the
screen. Using this option your GO can recognise the following:
? Street names.
? Place names.

Using Spoken address is typically faster than using Spoken address
(dialogue).

When this button is shown on the keyboard you can enter information by
speaking instead of typing. Tap this button to enter information using speech recognition.

Tip: When this button is shown in grey, you cannot use speech to enter an
address.

.dat file worked like a charm. The Skealo is very happy and thankful for Mikecwest's hard work. The Skealo will speak fondly of him.

Help!!!!!

You folks have me all excited but...:confused:

I have followed this thread to the letter and still cannot get my voice recognition to work properly.

Here is my information

Firmware 7.221
Us and Cannada Map 710.1575
Have installed the .dat file to the asr directory of my TT.

The only results I get are the appearance of the two new icons on the navigate to screen.

Any help would be appreciated!

You folks have me all excited but...:confused:

I have followed this thread to the letter and still cannot get my voice recognition to work properly.

Here is my information

Firmware 7.221
Us and Cannada Map 710.1575
Have installed the .dat file to the asr directory of my TT.

The only results I get are the appearance of the two new icons on the navigate to screen.

Any help would be appreciated!

I know **exactly** the problem as I ran into it myself (and was up to the wee hours this morning resolving it).

Speech recognition ONLY works with North_America version 7.10 maps. It will NOT work with US & Canada version 7.10 maps which are half the size and half the data.

So, although you see the two speech icons when you go to Spoken, as you found out, speech doesn't work in the various address screens.

Where do I get the North_America maps?

I KNEW you'd ask that......:)

okay......I'll try to be brief. I had the North America 7.10 map on my unit a month ago. I got it as the free Map guarantee for that which came on my unit when I got it in the middle of September.

As a result of a problem at the beginning of November, TT Support gave me a solution that wound up wiping out the map and reverting me back to 7.05. I called back, complained, and they reset it so I could get the 7.10 version. As it turns out, they sent me the US & Canada map. I didn't think too much about it until I discovered (as you did) that this map didn't work with the new feature. So I called them again yesterday and they agreed to let me dl the North America 7.10 map.

Now, I had an absolute TERRIBLE time getting it to fit on my 2 gig internal storage on my 720. Do yourself a favour and get a compatible SD storage card for your unit; it'll save you grief.

So..........(brief, eh) I still haven't answered your question.

I don't know the circumstances around how you got the US & Canada version but you can try to call them and see if you can dl the North America version. (It takes hours and hours and ....). Failing that, you can BUY the North America map from their site. I forget the price but I think maps are 50% off right now.

Ask a Question