TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

I've created the file and don't see anything about Spoken Dialogue anywhere. I have the latest of everything.

if you use windows than you must use notepad to create the file and save it as .dat file. You cannot use word or text edit to do that.

hey g bower,
im so curious about this...did you create the separate asr directory and put the file there?

the reason why iam so curious is i had called tomtom support 5 minutes back to know why is the 920 and 720 maps different by about 400MB. she told me that the difference in size is entirely because of the included voice recognition package included in 920!
so how would the voice recognition in 720 get activated with just a text file???? hey guys, those who got it right, any ideas???:confused: :confused:

Last edited:
sam,
did you download the 920 versions of the NA map and running it in a 4GB sd card?
i am not able to understand how it could work with just a .dat file! what about the voice recognition data tied to the map which made the 920 maps bulkier?

Last edited:
was anyone successful in adding the voice recognition. I am looking to do the same but adding the dat file does not seem to work. I will keep looking if i find any other additional information.

Well, I did create the file and put it in the ASR folder on my unit. I then dl the new firmware. I started up the unit and went Navigate-->Address--> and DO see two new icons: spoken voice and spoken voice (dialogue).

But, sadly, that's the end of the good news. When I touch the spoken voice icon, I do NOT see the lips icon in the top right of the screen (it's supposed to be with 1 of 3 background colours - green, yellow or red, depending upon how the sound quality is).

Whether the problem is because the sound is supposed to work with the North America 7.10 map and I have the USA & Canada map 7.10 (it's different), I don't know.

Oh well, knew it was too good to be true ... for me at least :mad:

Last edited:
after trying this a bunch of time i did get it to work I am able to to Navigate to > addresses > spoken addresses from there i am able to enter city street and house number via text. pretty cool

bodhi,
you couldnt input it via voice?
what map version do you have?
those who did get this to work, can you please confirm your map version - is it the NA map 720 latest or NAmap 920 latest?
i'm guessing if you have the NA map 920 on a 720 installed via a 4GB SD card, one might be able to get the voice recognition right via this route... or do you not need the NAmap 920 for VR to work?????

sam,
did you download the 920 versions of the NA map and running it in a 4GB sd card?
i am not able to understand how it could work with just a .dat file! what about the voice recognition data tied to the map which made the 920 maps bulkier?

I just have the map for 720 not 920 I believe. And after I drop in the file. I can say ... Edmonton.... 75 st ..... 11533 etc.... and it will generate the route... so I have no idea how true is that "400MB" diff is just for voice recognition data. You know, I talked to TomTom tech support too and they seems like they have no idea whats going at all. I really hope they can improve in this area because Garmin is really great in terms of customer support. I understand TomTom have great features but the after sales support is just as important.

i meant i could input it via voice... sorry was excited for it to work i typed text ha.....

the version map i have is v710

Thanks to dhn I did get it to work in Navigate Address. Seemed to work quite well also. Finally some handy progress. With this enabled it will definitely save me some typing. I tried about 20 different places and it found every one of them. Wooo Hooo!!!! So now I've got the newest of everything working.
neojohn the folder was already there and I had created the file using notepad and inserted it. It's too bad that these things aren't documented somewhere. If it wasn't for forums like this many people would be lost. Just think of the people that don't search these things out and what they're missing. Good job people!!!!!:)

congrats!!!

ha...bodhi.... i could imagine the excitement you are having now!!;) and bower you too....
just one more thing to stalk you guys, you tried inputting US addresses right? or canada addresses?
so it turns out that the customer rep had no idea what she was talking to me about!!:mad: if voice recognition was tied to the 920 maps which is more than 2GB and if it could be activated in 720 too(which is less than 2GB), that means it is not exactly voice recognition feature that makes up for the size difference between the two?
well.... i'm amazed by today's discovery ./....hahaha..... so infact, there isnt a compelling difference to opt for 920 over 720!

thanks bodhi...
this is the most interesting development in like so many weeks!!
it would be inteteresting to know about tomtom's response to this new develpment:eek:

I just bought GO 720 2 days back. I want to update the firmware to 7.221. But i dont know how to do it. Could you please tell me how to update the firmware? I have latest version of TOMTOM HOME.

prakashbabu,
i have not yet got my 720... but i think all you have to do is to connect it to the computer with home installed and use the home to browse the tomtom website and find the update...

Ask a Question