TomTom Go 720 new firmware 7.221

It's like 75 bucks. That is 50% off which imho is still a ripoff.

The us store has been down for days now anyway. What a joke.

Is there anything preventing you from transferring the new maps from another TT device? Are they somehow linked to the device?

I may be buying another 720 to use the 30 day map upgrade. :D

My understanding is that each device and associated products are associated with one user account with TomTom.

Could be wrong though ... often am!;)

I have two questions that haven't been addresed yet.

1. Does Tomtom know about this yet ??
2. What do you think they're going to do about it ??

Food for discussions

Richard

I traded my Go 720 for a Go 920T. The first time I connected it to my computer and ran HOME I got an error message that the device didn't match the one associated with my account. It said you couldn't switch GPS'es without a 6 month waiting period, and the only solution would be to create a new account using a different e-mail address.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me, but I just used a different address and created a new account for my 920T.

This may help some like me

For all the grief that TT sometimes gets, they hooked me up with no argument and I am up and running...

I had purchased my 720 in early August. Clearly past the 30 days for map support, I called TT and they reset my account so I could get the new 7.10 maps. I didn't have to argue at all, and they were more than willing to help... I simply said that I need it as proper "tech support"; I couldn't care less about the map itself, but needed the support that it lends to voice commands. I was on the phone less than 10 minutes. :D

This obviously answers the question that yes they know about it, and they seem to want to help people who are in my situation.

I hope this helps some people...

When I asked the two questions above I was refering to the DIY voice activation proceedure that was discovered at the begining of the thread.

Richard

I traded my Go 720 for a Go 920T. The first time I connected it to my computer and ran HOME I got an error message that the device didn't match the one associated with my account. It said you couldn't switch GPS'es without a 6 month waiting period, and the only solution would be to create a new account using a different e-mail address.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me, but I just used a different address and created a new account for my 920T.

I traded my one Xl for the GO 720 yesterday and ran into the same situation with my account. Called tech support and they deleted the One XL and added the GO 720 and in no time was able to get the NA maps V 7.10 and created the the text file for support_asr.dat and now have peech recognition.

Love this forum and the membership.

jcaussi

:) hahaha.... a4000, wish you all the luck!!!
i was talking to the tech 2 days back about the map size difference between 920 and 720 and the lady at the other end was like the size difference of almost 400MB is solely due to addition of voice recognition data on the 920! so if you talk to a tech with not much idea, they are going to flatly say something stupid like that. If the VR needs an extra 400MB how can it be activated in 720 with a file that is not even 1kb!:rolleyes:

i even told her that adding a small dat file seemingly made the VR feature active in 720 as per some sources;) to which she told me the only third party software that tomtom supports is poi files... anything other than that makes the warranty void!:eek: she was obviously covering her ass...

she even added that tomtom 720 does not have the "hardware requirement" to run voice recognition!!:D allright, allright that was enuf of the technological support i got for then and i wished her a good day...
hahaha....
the only hardware difference i could think is probably an addition of something like a gyroscope for the enhanced positioning and a 4GB internal memory in 920.
i didnt think that it is different in the RAM or processor.. or is there a difference between 920 and 720?:confused:

the fact that such a simple dat file could add a whole new feature on the 720 is astonishing.... it probably also means that tomtom had plans to implement it later. i dont know what was the reason that took them back from implementing it right away... some say, it is the slang differences in united states for which tomtom needed to improve the VR further...well, then why did that not stop them from putting it in 920????
So there is probably no reason why tomtom would put it in 920 and not 720 other than marketing strategies.... What marketing strategy they exactly had in mind is worth rethinking from their part.... Why this strategy only in united states? Why not in EU?

Last edited:
Ok guys, so I have some comments and a question. A little background, I have a 720 and updated the firmware to 7.221. I then used HOME and found the map update. I downloaded it and it seemed to install ok (showed v710.) I created the support_asp.dat file and installed it. The icons showed up, but the lips were greyed out. I then went back to home and noticed the NA map was on my computer and not on the device. I used a 2g card to install it, and speech recognition now works. My question is.... is there a way for the map to FIT in internally memory on the 720 or did I do the only option available? Thanks!

Ok guys, so I have some comments and a question. A little background, I have a 720 and updated the firmware to 7.221. I then used HOME and found the map update. I downloaded it and it seemed to install ok (showed v710.) I created the support_asp.dat file and installed it. The icons showed up, but the lips were greyed out. I then went back to home and noticed the NA map was on my computer and not on the device. I used a 2g card to install it, and speech recognition now works. My question is.... is there a way for the map to FIT in internally memory on the 720 or did I do the only option available? Thanks!

you must delete the 705 maps, and then the 710 maps will fit
(at least mine did)

When I downloaded the update through HOME it automatically removed the old map and replaced it with the new version. I think I had to delete some non English text to speech language files to make some extra room on the internal memory but it did install just fine.

Just another tip for voice recognition. It seems to work best if you say the full street. If I just say Salmon it doesn't even come up as an option. It tries Cemetary and some other words but not Salmon. If I say South East Salmon Street then it comes up as the first match.

.dat file worked like a charm. The Skealo is very happy and thankful for Mikecwest's hard work. The Skealo will speak fondly of him.

well, its really not my work...the only work I did was a daily scavenge of this site and one other site that is to remain nameless per administration's prior requests.

Installed the update and have voice recognition and running 710 maps. No problems here cept the voice rec program needs a little tweaking ;)

Ok, got it all working. What I had to do was put the new map on a 2g card. I then DELETED the North America folder from the unit itself, and then dragged the North America folder from the card to the internal memory. Worked like a champ. Now to put my favorites back in and I'm all set! SWEET! :)

I had an absolutely horrendous problem trying to get both the NA 710 map and the firmware version 7.221 to fit in internal memory. After deleting absolutely everything I could think of from the unit, still no go.

Finally, went to the NA 710 zip file on my computer, deleted a bunch of cspeech_<state>.dat files from the zip (for example, Texas is over 41 megs) and the install finally worked.

wow....how could a <2GBfile not get into a 2GB flash drive? dhn, did you delete the files in the internal flash through tomtom home? it may not delete everything, i guess.
do you think it is safe to try deleting the internal flash from the "my computer/quick format the internal flash? and then using home to install just the latest firmware, and the NA maps.
and what are those cs_speech for? text-to-speech or voice recognition? maybe you could have tried deleting files in other languages which is stored in the tomtom?:confused:

Ask a Question