Map update problem - Update: Map 830 is back

wdccruise shouldn't be asking for the USA_and_Mexico map - as it would be a downgrade from the USA_Canada_and_Mexico that is preinstalled on the 140.

wdccruise - you're probably in for an RMA replacement from tomtom. Flash ram controllers usually "hide" bad sectors by shrinking the flash ram rather than having is show as bad sectors. If you bought it from a place like Best Buy, you could also just walk in and get an exchange. If you already bought subscriptions or a traffic receiver for the tomtom, you should go the RMA route as you should be able to demand that they transfer them to your replacement device.

From what I gather from other posts, the map is smaller than HOME thinks it is, so you could probably force it onto your device manually (copying the entire zip file over, excluding the cspeech files), but you're just tweaking around a defective device.

Also notice nowhere in the description does it mention it's an IQ routes map.

The older non-IQroutes maps would not let you choose IQroutes in planning preferences. If you can go to planning preferences and see the IQroutes button in the lower left, then you've got an IQroutes map.

Last edited:
TomTom Acknowledges Map Size Problem

On May 26 at 11:00am, Brenda at TomTom Customer Support responded with the following in response to my request for assistance in upgrading my 140s to the latest US/Canada/Mexico map version:

[TomTom] would ask that you please wait before trying to download the latest map. We are working on a fix for the map being too large for your device. We do appreciate your patience.

Seems similar to the hardware bug that tomtom had a few years ago with the ONE 3rd editions.

Initially, due to a manufacturing defect of some sort, a huge batch or TOMTOM one's would freeze when turned off and back on. Tomtom initially sent RMAs and replaced tons of ONE 3rd editions.

Then, they released a software upgrade (7.166) to workaround the problem, which I'm sure saved them tons in shipping and RMA device costs.

Tomtom should be able to have HOME strip all the cspeech files from ONE/XL maps downloads, thereby saving tons of space on the map and having it fit.

This sounds like real trouble for those withouth SD card slots. Even if you did manage to install the map with only 1mb remaining, how will mapshare updates, favorites, or even a future map update even fit? Did TomTom not think about space limitations when they designed these units? I dont know how much longer these devices will keep accepting future map upgrades if the maps can only grow larger and larger. At some point there will have to be a limit, unless TomTom discovers a way to SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER compress the future maps without sacrificing performance. Either that or they will just end up splitting up Canada, USA, and Mexico and allow you to download all 3 separately.

After I deleted the French and Spanish voices on my 140S, I have 149 mb of free space with the new map (830) installed.

edit: Actually, I deleted all the voices except for the 2 English computer voices.

I also deleted the image start up and shut down images that the 340 uses.

Last edited:
On May 26 at 11:00am, Brenda at TomTom Customer Support responded with the following in response to my request for assistance in upgrading my 140s to the latest US/Canada/Mexico map version:

Can you keep us updated? This problem is a lot more wide spread than anyone thinks. Reviews are starting to pop on on various sites like amazon.com Many, many, many people are having trouble with this latest map update.

So based on what others are saying, the map is a tad bit too big.

I updated my 5/22 post explaining how to manually strip the cspeech files to install the map. I suspect tomtom will "fix" the problem by automating the same steps.

Has anyone tried the manual install, and has it worked?

I did some further checking. The zip file which was downloaded to my computer (USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip) is 1.92 GB (2,016,714 kb). After Home installs it, it lists the size of the map (version 830) on my device as 1668.4 mb.

Apparently, TomTom's web site gives the file size of the zip file which is downloaded. Home gives the file size as it is installed on the device.

When I first installed the new map, it almost filled up my 140S. I only had 8.8 mb of free space left. At that point, I had not deleted any voices or anything else that had originally come on the device. I also had installed some custom POI files and some color schemes.

To recap, after uninstalling all the voices except for the English computer voices (Dave and Susan), I have 149.2 mb of free space on my device (according to Home and Windows). Home lists the total capacity of my device as 1958.5 mb. Windows lists its total capacity as 1.91 GB.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I unzipped the map file onto a folder on my computer. The folder included the cspeech files. The cspeech files are not extracted onto the device when Home installs the map.

I believe that an earlier post indicated that with a manual install, one should delete the cspeech files from the zip file and then copy the zip file to the device and then extract it.

I would think the best way to do it would be to extract the files on your computer and then copy over the extracted files to the device (minus the cspeech files).

I updated my post with your extract-to-disk-first suggestion. Good idea.

So even after cspeech removal, the file barely fits. That'll be a tough one for tomtom to handle in the future as the map size grows even further.

Still, you can take comfort that us 720ers have map envy, having purchased a North America 2GB subscription for my 720 - which is inferior to your new map. I begged tomtom support to switch my subscription to your map version, and they wouldn't.

Tomtom should be able to have HOME strip all the cspeech files from ONE/XL maps downloads, thereby saving tons of space on the map and having it fit.

Home does do this. If your device does not have enough room, it will skip those files, which is the reason some people with 720's did not have voice recognition enabled. Not just because of that one support file, but because they were also missing all of the cspeech files. They would have to go into their map zip file and extract the cspeech files onto their device. In order to even fit the cspeech files, they had to delete voices, icons, etc. You were not able to fit EVERYTHING onto the internal memory with the latest maps, which is the reason the cspeech files were left out in the first place.

I made a thread of a test I had done back then. Installed a map with low disk space vs installing a map with tons of free space remaining. When I installed the map with tons of space remaining, the device automatically enabled voice recognition. ABSOLUTELY no modification was needed to get the VR enabled/working. Then installed with limited space. VR was NOT enabled, and Home copied everything but the cspeech files over to the device in order to make enough room for the device.

If things have changed with then 140, then well... BLAH!!

You're right Sage - since my last post I've seen more and more posts saying that the cspeech files are already stripped by HOME on the 140/340.

So far, it seems everyone has had success with the workaround of removing foreign-language computer voices, thereby making enough space for the larger map.

Anyone still unable to install the larger map with the foreign voices removed?

So this is exactly what I was afraid of that without an SD card there are problems with space on these units. I just bought the XL 340S and am probably going to return it because I don!t want to run into space issues and have to delete stuff.

Hello everyone.

I managed to get the map update installed but I only have 0.8 mb left. If I read the posts correctly even if I get a SD card, I still will have the same issue because the biggest SD card I can run is the same size as the current drive, correct?

The obvious solution (in my case) would be for TT to offer an option to install only the US maps (or US & Mexico or US & Canada) and not the whole package.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

I managed to get the map update installed but I only have 0.8 mb left. If I read the posts correctly even if I get a SD card, I
still will have the same issue because the biggest SD card I can run is the same size as the current drive, correct?

The obvious solution (in my case) would be for TT to offer an option to install only the US maps (or US & Mexico or US &
Canada) and not the whole package.

Members with this problem are usually 140/340 owners that
don't have an sd slot. Older ONE models with an sd slot are only offered the usa_and_canada map which is under a gig in size. You can easily fit that in a 2gig SD card.

If you have a go x20 or later, the sd slots can hold
up to 32gb so the usa_canada_mexico map fits fine in them.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

I managed to get the map update installed but I only have 0.8 mb left. If I read the posts correctly even if I get a SD card, I still will have the same issue because the biggest SD card I can run is the same size as the current drive, correct?

The obvious solution (in my case) would be for TT to offer an option to install only the US maps (or US & Mexico or US & Canada) and not the whole package.

It depends on the unit you have. Like mvl says, for Go models and up you can use SDHC cards up to 32gb in size. For older models or One models, you can use up to a 2gb sd card or anything that isn't SDHC. You are not limited to the size of your current internal storage. If you have a One model, and you have a 1gb storage capacity, you are able to purchase a 2gb sd card. DO NOT PURCHASE A 1GB card because you can only use 1 source of memory at a time. 1+1 does not equal 2 gigs on a ONE model.

On GO models, you can add up internal + external memory for a total.

Ask a Question