Map update problem - Update: Map 830 is back

1. Make a complete Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents.
2. In the licence folder, delete any files not showing a US_EN in the file name. Delete the contents of the Raster folder.
3. Move the Vocalizer folder to the desktop. (delete the folder on your unit after you've moved it).
4. Use Home and see if the 830 map can be installed. If so, then use Home to dl and install a computer voice.
5. If all is good, make a new backup, using Explorer.

Insufficient memory

Following dhn's instructions will not help. I reformatted the device which removed all files and the disk capacity was increased to 1.9GB. TomTom Home then re-installed the application (only) and after that there was insufficient memory to install the Latest Map Guarantee. If you were able to install map "USA Canada and Mexico" version 830.2325 then your device probably contains the full 2.0GB of memory, not 1.9GB.

The problem is the latest map size.

I tried to install the latest map with on my 340s. It listed the map at over 1.9 gig, and after downloading it told me I didn't have enough space to install it. Was only short about 40meg so I removed the Spanish and French voices which netted about 80meg.

Was then able to sucessfully upgrade to the new USA Canada and Mexico map. The map actually took about 1.6 gig space on my 340s. The original map on the unit was only 1.4 gig, so the new map basically ate up about 200meg of storage space.

My 340s didn't have a bunch of additional stuff loaded on it either so I think TomTom dropped the ball on this one and didn't take in account the people that would be putting this map on devices that have no SD card option.

I called TomTom support because of my concern about the overall increase in map size and also I noticed the new map makes no reference to it being an IQ routes map. They basically were not much help. They were able to confirm it is an IQ routes map even though it isn't listed as one.

Seems kind of sad you have to delete things off a 3 week old unit to update to the latest map...

340XL*S no map, not enough memory

Same issue here. !st map update failed and now I do not have enough space on my 340XLs to load new 1.9GB maps.

Has anyone over come this issue? I worked with Support and I was advised that "it is a New Issue that TOMTOM is recently become aware of". TOMTOM Support advised I return it for an exchange. Sigh.

**Can anyone with a fully functional 340XL*S email me their back up so I can restore from it? It the back up is too large would you host it on one of those FREE Large file sharing services? Maybe I can use your back up to restore my defective device.

Capacity on tomtom with no Voices installed, no map 1.7GB
USA Map 1.9GB

WTF?

A backup from one device will not work on another since a map is locked to a specific device.

tdunn014: What is memory capacity of your device?

tdunn014: So you were able to get your device to accept the latest map update? Can you tell us what the memory capacity of your device is? To check:

Connect device to PC.
Start 'My Computer'.
Click right mouse button on the TomTom "disk" and choose 'Properties'.
What is the capacity in GB?

tdunn014: What map is installed?

tdunn014: Thanks for the memory capacity information! The memory capacity, 1.91GB, of our devices is the same. So the difference must be the maps that TomTom Home installed (or in my case, tries to install) on our devices. Would you tell me the Title, Description, Size and Version of the upgraded map installed on your device? To obtain this:

1. Launch TomTom Home with the device connected.
2. Click Show Contents of my ONE.
3. Expand Maps
4. Click the 'More Info...' link.

Thanks in advance. Very helpful.

Mine is the latest map.

USA Canada & Mexico

1668 MB

Keep in mind this map would not fit until I removed the Spanish and French computer voices...

I was able to install the Latest Map Guarantee on my 140S with no problem. The new map (830) does take up 200+ mb more space than the old one.

I have 8.8 mb of space remaining. I have installed a few extra color schemes. I have not yet deleted any voices, but I could do so in order to free up some space.

To be more specific, the new map is:

USA Canada and Mexico
Size: 1668 mb
Version: 830.2325

Last edited:
Looks like they did some serious compression and /or removal of detail. The US/Canada map for the 340 is 1.9 gb

Last edited:
Sorry, typo. Thanks for pointing it out. When did you download your map? Quite a bit smaller than what others had been being offered.

I downloaded mine the second day it was available, it was listed over 1.9 GB but ended up using a little over 1.6 GB on the device.

TomTom Home wants to 1970MB map on 140s

TomTom Home 2.6 "Latest Map Guarantee" wants to install the following map on my 140s:

Title: USA Canada & Mexico
Description:
Detailed map seamlessly covering USA, Canada and Mexico - unsimplified version.
Map coverage statistics:
- countries fully covered (99.9%): the US...Canada...and Puerto Rico
- countries partically covered: Mexico (35%)...
- additional information:...
- includes over 7 million Points of Interest

Size: 1970MB
Version: 830.2325

This map exceeds the memory capacity of my device (shown on TomTom Home as 1954.9 GB) so even with nothing but the Application on the device, the update will not install.

Notice it says 'unsimplified' version?

Call support tomorrow at 866-486-6866 and ask them for a different version to be put on your account. See what they say.

Worth a shot with the aggevation you've been having...

I agree that you should call support. They should be able to straighten this out.

I checked their web site. They are definitely offering 2 versions of this map. Here's the one you want (although I think the size given is in error):

USA & Mexico 2GB v8.30
Download 1522.3 MB
Detailed map seamlessly covering the USA and Mexico with IQ Routes data for faster routing - modified to fit devices with 2GB memory.
Map coverage statistics:

* countries fully covered (99.9%): the US (all states including Hawaii and Alaska) and Puerto Rico
* countries partially covered: Mexico (35%)
* additional information: with detailed coverage of Mexico City and Guadalajara, the main road network and 2,431 counties in Mexico.

Last edited:
The unsimplified version is what installed on mine.

Also notice nowhere in the description does it mention it's an IQ routes map.

I called support with concerns the next day after I installed it. They told me it was the correct map and it was an IQ routes maps even though the description doesn't mention it.

The original map on my 340S was called "USA Canada and Mexico P" by the way. The new map it installed was named different than the original. Notice it's called "USA Canada & Mexico"

This is directly from my system information from Home

"CurrentMap=USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P
CurrentMapVersion=830.2325"

theparson... the map you listed "USA & Mexico 2GB v8.30" doesn't include Canada. The original map loaded on the device did.

Not sure why some people can get the map to install and others cannot. When I originally tried it told me I was 30 something megs short to install the map. I deleted the Spanish and French computer voices and it allowed me to install.

One thing, it took way longer to install than I think was normal. The download was only 45 minutes or so but the actual process of the installing on the device took several hours. I suspect it did quite a bit of compression since the map now shows at 1668 megs in Home.

Ask a Question