Map update problem - Update: Map 830 is back

What was the company thinking not allowing for an SD slot on the new 140/340 units? What a waste of a good product. A deal breaker for me unless I am making this out to be a bigger problem than it really is but they are just out and already requiring deletions to fit map updates in. What a shame.

Thanks for the info!

I got a 2gb, SanDisk, SD card for under $10.00, popped it in and plugged into the computer. It came right up and started installing programs and updating. This was totally unexpected. I believe it's because I had done backups and saved items with TomTom Home right after I got my XL-S.

I went to the "Use Latest Map Guarantee" in tools and it installed the latest version (map size 901.1 mb) I used TomTom Home to install the programs I had removed earlier trying to get the latest map to install. They were saved in a folder and I only had to select the box's and it reinstalled to the new 2gb drive. I added a couple more computer voices to try out

I now have 1883.8 mb, total capacity and 863 mb of free space.

The biggest drawback to using the SD card is it looks very easy to pop it out while your installing or removing the unit.

What was the company thinking not allowing for an SD slot on the new 140/340 units? What a waste of a good product. A deal breaker for me unless I am making this out to be a bigger problem than it really is but they are just out and already requiring deletions to fit map updates in. What a shame.

Tomtom is pretty good about making smaller maps to fit any size of internal memory. They bit off more then they could chew offering their best USA_Canada_Mexico map with the full 7 million POI onto 2GB devices.

I'm sure the technical team was saying "no way" but was overruled by marketing.

That said, tomtom responded to a member that they are "working on a solution" by shrinking the map somehow. We'll see what they do but at least foreign voice removal seems to workaround things for now.

The 140/340 are the low end of the Tomtom line, and lately "removal of SD card" has been one of the compromises you had to make to get the discounted low-end models in the past few years.

That's why I made the choice to buy a used high-end 720 off craigslist instead of a new 340. I paid about $100 for the unit + $100 in map subscriptions, and have all the 340 features plus an SD slot, Bluetooth capabilities, fm transmitter, and music player.

Am I understanding this right

They responded to me too and said they are trying to make the maps smaller with more information.
If they accomplish that and the smaller map fits, won!t you stiill use up all the space after multiple map upgrades? In other words the upgrade does not replace the map you are upgrading but adds to it. Is that right? If so you would still eventually run out of space after multiple upgrades because you only have so much space. Same thing with deleting voices and such. Otherwise you would have to buy the complete new map and delete the old to get around it and that would be expensive.

They responded to me too and said they are trying to make the maps smaller with more information. If they accomplish that and the smaller map fits, won!t you stiill use up all the space after multiple map upgrades? In other words the upgrade does not replace the map you
are upgrading but adds to it. Is that right? If so you would still eventually run out of space after multiple upgrades because you
only have so much space. Same thing with deleting
voices and such. Otherwise you would have to buy the complete new
map and delete the old to get around it and that would be expensive.
maps are full replacements. They are growing because the population is growing, resulting in increasing subdevelopments and businesses. If you buy a subscription you get full replacement maps every 3 months at the same cost as a map replacement every 2 years. I think its a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you guys actually needed USA, Mexico and Canada map on in one? I travel a good deal and have never been from Canada to Mexico without stopping by my house (USA) which would have given me ample time to switch a different map. Not that I would have needed my Tomtom anyway, I rent cars with built in nav instead of lugging my through air ports and what not...

I have the USA_Canada maps and I wish I would have done the update service for just USA since I rarely goto Canada (twice in my life thus far with no plans on returning). I rather have a less compressed map of the places I actually travel then 20 countries I never visit jammed onto an SD Card...

The delete voices workaround did not work for me while trying to update the US/CA/MX map from 825.2197 to 830.2325 on my new 140S. It still said not enough room (435 MB free - 1958.5 MB capacity). (App 8.411 Model 4EK0.001.02) The OMG copy to computer was OK - Add from computer is not.

Now I have a problem! After copying all voices to computer I had deleted all but Richard (US non computer).
Now I can't get David (US computer) back after adding it twice. Only Richard is available. I have disabled and re-enabled IQ Routing. Any suggestions?

I always have the complete copy back from Explorer backup - takes about 90 minutes.

The delete voices workaround did not work for me while trying to update the US/CA/MX map from 825.2197 to 830.2325 on my new 140S. It still said not enough room (435 MB free - 1958.5 MB capacity). (App 8.411 Model 4EK0.001.02) The OMG copy to computer was OK - Add from computer is not.

Now I have a problem! After copying all voices to computer I had deleted all but Richard (US non computer).
Now I can't get David (US computer) back after adding it twice. Only Richard is available. I have disabled and re-enabled IQ Routing. Any suggestions?

I always have the complete copy back from Explorer backup - takes about 90 minutes.

If you already have the explorer backup, try deleting the USA_Canada_Mexico folder and the loqendo folder in their entirety. Then see if there's enough space to install the map in HOME.

As far as the computer voices, try going to "add traffic...", then "add voices". Is there no David/Susan available there?

Yes, there was a David, etc. in the add voices in home. I used it (twice). It appeared to copy down but the selection was not available on the 140S.

However, the problem is no longer beacuse I got impatient and restored completely from the explorer backup.

In regards to the map update... I had previously deleted the map from the 140S. It warned me but allowed me to do it. STILL, the update from downloaded map failed with not enough room.

I'm working fine now - except I don't have the 830 map. I'll wait awhile and see if TomTom comes forward with a revised map for us with 2GB.

Have any of you guys actually needed USA, Mexico and Canada map on in one?

One of the biggest advantages of this map is the full POI file. Tomtom has a reduced POI file on all models except the 140, 340, and GO 9xx series.

I will probably buy this expanded map once my subscription is up.

What works and what doesn't

I was able to upgrade the USA Canada Mexico map from 825 to 830.2325.

What Works:

1. Use TomTom Home (TTH) 2.6 to back up the factory configuration, including map 825.
2. (Optional) With the device connected to your computer, shut down TTH and use My Computer to check the device's total "disk" capacity. If the capacity is less then 1.91GB, reformat the device.*
3. (Required if you performed Step 2) Restart TTH; it recognizes that the Application is missing and installs it. Follow TTH directions to restart device.
4. (Required if you performed Step 2) Restore factory configuration using TTH.
5. From TTH, use Update My One to upgrade the Application to 8.413.
6. From TTH, select Latest Map Guarantee. TTH offers to install USA Canada Mexico map 830.2325; the map appears to be too big for the device. Proceed. TTH downloads and installs the map.

What Doesn't Work:

1. Follow Steps 1-3, above.
2. From TTH, select Latest Map Guarantee. TTH offers to install USA Canada Mexico map 830.2325; the map appears to be too big for the device. Proceed. TTH informs you that there is not enough room for the map but there are no files that you can remove to free the necessary space.

*This increased the memory capacity of my device from 1.81GB to 1.91GB.

Is the 830 map still available for latest map guarentee?

I just read through this thread and went through all the steps of removing all my voices (except susan), did home and Explorer backups. Checked to see that my XL340s has a disk capacity of 1.91GB and about 236mb free space.

So I decided to go for it and do the Latest Map Guarentee. My device currently on map USA Canada Mexico map 825, but when I select Use Latest Map Guarentee TTH says I have the latest map and there are no newer maps available.

Did they remove the 830 due to the issues some were having with not having enough space to install?

Yep, they did remove it........

But, call support at 866-486-6866 just to make sure that you'll get offered your free LMG whenever they put up a revised map, even if it extends beyond the 30 days. Make sure the confirmation of that is sent to you in an email, just in case ....

Frankly I'm extremely surprised that TomTom gave so little thought to memory and future map updates on the 340. How long has it been since the device was released? Surely they could have anticipated memory requirements just 6 months in advance. Very poor design and planning IMO.

Yep, they did remove it........

But, call support at 866-486-6866 just to make sure that you'll get offered your free LMG whenever they put up a revised map, even if it extends beyond the 30 days. Make sure the confirmation of that is sent to you in an email, just in case ....

Will do. Thanks DHN. Too bad cuz I was really patient on this one and wanted to use the 340s out of the box for a couple weeks just to be sure I knew how it SHOULD work before risking the upgrade so I could identify any quirks if they arose. I made sure to read through this and another forum for tips to avoid problems with the map size. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait.

Is the new map really that much better though? How old is 825? Does anyone know if the updates are mainly POI's or actual changes in roads. I've only had one instance so far where 825 routed me to a road that no longer exists and that's due to the local school district having renovated the elementary school and in the process cut off access to a connecting road that would have allowed autos to cut through "School Dr." to get to the main route on the other side of the school. 825 always wants to rout me through "School Dr." when going through the middle of the village ;)

Other than that I've had no issues with routes. It's actually taught me a few faster routes when commuting to and from work than I used to take. It's my first GPS and I LOVE it. Just hope I still get to take advantage of the map update if they don't roll it back out before the 30 days are up. I will make the call on Monday.

Frankly I'm extremely surprised that TomTom gave so little thought to memory and future map updates on the 340. How long has it been since the device was released? Surely they could have anticipated memory requirements just 6 months in advance. Very poor design and planning IMO.

The ONE and XL TTS devices are only sold in the US/Canada. My suspicion is that the mapmakers in the Netherlands tested it on all the Netherlands models with no issues. They probably forgot just how big the TTS files are in the US.

That's no excuse for Tomtom, but I still bet that's what happened.

The favourites and other settings are kept in a file called mapsettings.cfg within the map folder. It is normal to lose these settings every time you update a map.

One way that might get them back is offered by mvl:

If you map version aren't too far apart, do the following steps:
1) copy mapsettings.cfg from the map with your favorites to the new map
2) go to HOME, and go to "Operate my GO"
3) Within "Operate my GO", rename a favorite in the emulator
4) Then exit the emulator, wait for the red X to disappear from the Tomtom, then click the blue disconnect button on the lower-right of HOME

An alternative to that method is this:

Here is what may probably work: (All copy & paste using Explorer)

1. Download from poiedit.com the program poi edit.

2. Load the mapsettings.cfg file from the unit with all the data. You will see all your favourites listed as items in the file.

3. Save each item as a point you are going to place in a custom poi category you are going to create called, say "_My_Favourites" (no quotes). The reason for the _ at the beginning is that its presence will cause the catory to 'float' to the top of the listing of poi categories.

4. Once you have completed this new file, _My_Favourites.ov2, put this file (using Explorer) into both the map folder of the first unit and in the map folder of your old unit.

5. The next task is to find a .bmp to reflect your new category rather than just the default red block. You can make your own (22x22 pixels in size)
or here is a link to a site with a bunch of bmps for a ton of categories, you may find one to your liking.
GPS Navigation - Site map

6. Once you create (or select) a .bmp, it MUST be named exactly the same as the ov2 file so that it'll appear. So, in my example above, the .bmp file would be _My_Favourites.bmp

7. Now, this .bmp file also goes directly into the map folder (of both units).

The beauty of this method is that when you update your map, you just copy this ov2 file (and bmp file) from the backed up old map folder to the new map folder.

problem with my tt go910

hello .
i've just delete for mistake my map western and central europe.my device id is:AKUAG-BAFQN and version 7.903 and maps on v 650-1073. so what shodl i do which mam download how to activate after that i know then my device need 11 alphanumeric code to activate not 15.if everyone could help me i'll be very glad.
my e-mail : (e-mail address removed)

You need not show your device id in a post; in fact, it is not a good idea to do so.

TomTom has not required an activation code for some time when the map is installed. Did you have a backup of your map (which is very old, by the way).

Ask a Question