Map update problem - Update: Map 830 is back

The free map update to 830 was available to me today and I chose to do it.

So far, ok.

Yes, according to TT tech support, the 2G issue has been fixed and now you can download the latest maps. Im currently grabing the 830 for my xl 340s!!

yes, it's slow, but keep it plugged in and be patient.

Mine (xl340s usa, canada, mexico unsimplified) took about 45 minutes to download over wi-fi on my laptop and over an hour to install to the device. The new map in the end is only about 60 megs bigger than the old one i think (can't remember exactly but I remember having around 250 megs free before the install and 190 free after). Anyway, everything seems to be working fine. To be sure though I removed all voices except Susan to have plenty of extra space for the install. Probably overkill, but I wanted to play it safe.

Pretty cool cuz I just made it under the wire of my 30 days for the free map update guarentee.

2 hours so far. The first update failed, so I updated the application software, now I'm re-installing the map update. The first 3/4 of the update went by quite rapidly (about 20 minutes), the last 1/4 has been going quite slow. I'm at what looks like about 90% now.

Yeah mine is finished at around 5hrs. It pushed an application update then I grabed the map update. Everything seems fine. Tomorrow we will hit a 3 hr road trip, so it will get tested then.

Happy driving

Mine failed, and no longer would allow any update (gave some error, then asked me to report the data to tomtom). I'm trying to manually copy the contents of the downloaded zip file in place, hoping that will work. Says about 40 minutes left for ETA. I'm not very impressed with the map update feature, to put it lightly.

After map updates people, PLEASE remember to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

After map updates people, PLEASE remember to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

I can make a Explorer backup except for one folder. I cant copy/paste the folder called SCREEN. The error comes up saying: "Cannot read from source file or disk."

That's interesting.......

You can try to delete the screen folder and then do the Explorer backup.

'screen' (without the quotes) is a user implemented folder in which the user then puts a text file called 'capture' (again, no quotes) with no extension and nothing in it.

Then when the user presses the top left corner of the unit's screen, you'll hear a sound like a camera shutter and a .bmp image will be stored in the screen folder of what the user 'captured' at that point.

In other words, the lack of the screen folder will NOT affect normal operations of the unit.

That's interesting.......

You can try to delete the screen folder and then do the Explorer backup.

'screen' (without the quotes) is a user implemented folder in which the user then puts a text file called 'capture' (again, no quotes) with no extension and nothing in it.

Then when the user presses the top left corner of the unit's screen, you'll hear a sound like a camera shutter and a .bmp image will be stored in the screen folder of what the user 'captured' at that point.

In other words, the lack of the screen folder will NOT affect normal operations of the unit.

Ok yes, thats correct. I can remember creating this folder awhile back.

That's a pretty serious issue/bug if the backup doesn't actually work. ;)

Needless to say, after manually copying over the contents of the update, the TomTom would boot and error that the map wasn't authorized or some such error, so I then re-ran the home map updater, and it *finally* took the map update. Now it works fine. What a mess; it's understandable why many non-technical folks (the kind who wouldn't know about this forum on the first day of purchasing the device) have issues with TomTom devices.

All that said, working much better now with the newer software/maps. Doesn't tell me I live half a mile from where I actually live anymore!

Thanks for the report that the 140/340 TTS map issue is fixed.

Based on this post, the re-released Usa/Can/Mex map is 830.2396, and the earlier version was map 830.2325.

Tomtom's map servers are internally housed for anti-priacy. Their other servers (app updates, quickgpsfix, etc) are hosed by akamai and have much larger capacity.

The internal map servers always have capacity/crashing issues when maps first come out. Either wait a few days, or just keep re-trying. The map download process will auto resume where it leaves off.

I also changed the thread title.

Last edited:
Well the map v830.2396 so far has been very satisfactory. Our 3 hour trip today was an easily traveled day with TT had the hand. This week we'll hit a 7 hour trip so this will be yet another bigger test.

Doing fairly well here, too. I just submitted a few dozen mapshare updates, do those make their way to TeleAtlas, too? I've been submitting through their website manually, but if the mapshare data goes to them, it'll make my life a lot easier.

The new maps are a pretty significant step forward in San Antonio, as this place is perpetually under construction. There have been a few missed exits (ones that have been rebuilt/replaced in the past quarter or two) - so those are understandable. POI database seems fairly decent, too.

Doing fairly well here, too. I just submitted a few dozen mapshare updates, do those make their way to TeleAtlas, too?

Teleatlas says they use mapshare updates here (remember Tomtom owns teleatlas). I'm not sure if one update process is better than another.

I got the map downloaded in about 45 minutes, but now my 340S is taking 7+ hours to copy the map to the device; is this normal?

The 340 may be built using only the USB 1 protocol........if so, it may be a long time in copying. Not sure, though........

There was another post saying that app 8.414 slowed down the data transfer speeds of the 340. That may be affecting you.

Ask a Question