Map update problem - Update: Map 830 is back

Hi! I recently bought the TomTom 340s and when I installed the new map update, I accidentally pulled the cord out. So I shrugged it off, because I already downloaded it and could reinstall it. However, the 1.96 GB file size could not fit on my 1.91 sized GPS. Any tips to fit the map in?

Assuming you have a backup, do a system restore. After that the new map should install just fine. I just went thru that with a related issue.

Before you do any of this make another copy of the dl zipped map folder (rename it slightly differently). Now

in the first zipped map folder, you can extract any cspeech files from the map folder for states you never see yourself driving in. For example, cspeech_TX.dat is about 40 megs, I think. (these files are for voice recognition). You can remove various files that way.

Also, remove any files that don't show US from the license folder on the unit.

Try the install of the map now using Home.

Thanks for the reply, but somehow, even after I delete all the big file sized cspeech.dat files, TomTom Home still says its 1969.9 MB large. Also, when I click add the map (the button to install it) tomtom home crashes and it gives me this error message:

ERROR: Not enough space on your device
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/installSelectSome/installSelectSome.js:121
errorCallback(this._stringBundle.GetStringFromName("notEnoughTotalSpace"));
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/installSelectSome/installSelectSome.js:60
me.selectInstallCheck(args.items, makeCallback(me, me.selectInstallDone), error);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:73
this._successCallback(this.successText);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:58
this._success();
4. unknown
5. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/installSelectSome/installSelectSome.js:61
}, errorAbortTask));
6. chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:198
successCallback();
7. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/installSelectSome/installSelectSome.js:50
{
8. chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:111
subTask.start(inArgs);
9. chrome://tthome/content/ui/task/buyAndInstall/buyAndInstall.js:77
makeCallback(this, this.installDone)
10. chrome://tthome/content/ui/task/buyAndInstall/buyAndInstall.js:48
this.installLoad(immediateInstallItems, false);
11. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
12. chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttSubTask.js:30
this._doneCallback(data);
13. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/shopSelect/shopSelect.js:386
this.subtaskDone(result);
14. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
15. function checkReturnedSuccess chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:897
} catch (e) {
16. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
17. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/shopSelect/shopSelect.js:381
successCallback(result);
18. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/shopSelect/shopSelect.js:332
this.serverListCheck(result, successCallback, errorCallback, returnCallback, skipWarning);
19. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
20. function startCheck chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:872
} catch (e) {
21. function goForward chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:860
]]></body>
22. chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttPage.js:45
this._wizard().goForward();
23. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/shopSelect/serverList.js:162
me.continue();
24. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttlistbox.xml:329
command(me)
25. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttlistbox.xml:309
clickHandler(event);

Time: Thu, 21 May 2009 23:04:00 GMT

I'm haveing the exact same problem with the same unit. Except my error came up while the map was loading onto the GPS. I gave up last and will call customer service when I get home from work.

Really? By loading, you mean installing it onto the GPS? Because I experienced the exact same thing. I heard TomTom Support is garbage though. I guess I made a bad decision going with TomTom...

download stoped

I was told that if the download stops that instead of just continuing you should through tomtom home delete any of this downloaded map from your computer. Then disconnect from tom tom home and reconnect wherby it showed the map again for download. This worked for me anyway. Good luck And by the way, Tomtom is a GREAT GPS. When its fix you will be very happy.

Alright thanks. I'm going to try one last attempt to install the map without TomTom Home installing it, and if it doesn't work, I'll contact customer support. I heard TomTom customer support is lousy: they talk to you for a short time then become silent for the rest of the time.

Andy, until you've tried using Support's help, I'd suggest perhaps not making any comments -- god or bad -- about it.

If you do use Support and have a negative experience, then you can move to a second level or a supervisor with your concerns.

I don't think HOME actually calculates the file size. It probably has a reference file that contains the total size, so it will probably refuse to install even it you trimmed the map.

First, run a windows chidsk /f on the tomtom drive. There's a good chance that you have lost clusters wasting file space if you unplugged in the middle of a map write. After the disk check, delete any file0000.chk type files, as they would be the backup of the wasted space.

After that, see if the map fits. If it still doesn't, try uninstalling computer voices that you don't use. Those voices are up to 50mb each.

Thanks for the help. So is there anyway to install the maps in without using TomTom Home, like through the explorer, because the refrence file size that Home uses isn't letting me install?

I've never been in a no space situation before.

Does home download the map, and then later refuse to install it? If so, then you can manually install as follows:

First use explorer to backup your entire tomtom, just in case this doesn't work.

Then delete all the cspech files from the map folder on your tomtom (if present). They are for speech recognition, and the 340 doesn't have a mic - so you don't need any of them.

1) Then go here \My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map. Open up the folder there with the latest date (probably looks like USA_and_Canada_and_Mexico).
2) In that folder there is a zip file. Unzip it to a temporary folder on your hard drive. Then delete the cspeech files from the temp folder. Then copy the temp folder (minus cspeech files) onto your tomtom's map folder. You can overwrite what's on your existing Tomtom map folder, SINCE YOU SHOULD HAVE MADE A BACKUP.
3) Then open the activation.cab file and copy its contents to the tomtom's map folder.

Last edited:
I ,m a new owner of a One XL S and have a simular issue trying to updata the map. I called TomTom's help & was told to delete the exixting map, then load the new one. I get "--disk is full----". For Gatorguy I get "No Map Found" when I power up the xl s.
When you solve your disk full problem please post your fix. I would like to format the TomTom disk and reload everything as it was when I pulled it our of the box. My back up is not a true backup, its junk, I think I may be in deep trouble.
I have had good servidc from TomTom, but I have to call again in the am. Taking a 4 month trip starting Monday.

Try this:

1) Use windows explorer and delete the entire Loquendo folder on the tomtom (it stores your computer voices)
2) Try to install the map - you should have space now
3) Go to tomtom HOME and download the computer voices that you need (preferably just one voice to save space). The computer voices were formerly in the Loquendo folder, and they are really big.

Retired, if you have a backup, it's a probably a simple fix. Restore from your backup, which wipes your TT clean and reinstalls the original. Now go to Home, which should immediately offer you an update to the latest application version. Accept, then go to "maps" in Home and locate the 8.3 map update you recently downloaded. Let Home install it. Let me know if that doesn't work. It can't hurt to run a checkdisk first on the TT F: drive, but I don't think it's necessary since the restore from backup clears out your drive prior to reinstalling.

Device memory may be defective

I too have not been able to install the "Latest Map Guarantee" to my Tomtom ONE 140s. The latest map is "USA Canada and Mexico" version 830.2325.

First I checked the device's "disk" capacity using My Computer > TomTom Disk > right mouse button > Properties. Capacity of 1.8 GB was reported. Then I followed the instructions in this thread to reformat the device.

After reformatting the device, the disk capacity rose to 1.9 GB. I then restored the application (only) from TomTom Home and tried to install the latest map. There was still not enough memory.

I believe that the memory in my device is defective: 0.1 GB of memory is unusable so the latest map cannot be installed.

From anyone who was able to install USA Canada and Mexico" version 830.2325, I'd be interested to know the disk capacity of your device. I expect it's 2.0 GB.

You may also want to try repeated formats of the drive. There was a post a while back about the drive growing after repeated formats - possibly the flash controller trusting weak memory.

Then again if the memory were weak, I'd replace the tomtom if I were you. It should be within warranty.

Tomtom's never tried to squeeze such a large map onto a 2gb internal ram device before. I think tomtom's is in for a lot of RMAs since they don't leave any tolerance for normal (or abnormal) flash ram wear-out errors with such a large map.

Ask a Question