How to upgrade a ONE to a 2gb card for North America maps

TT One 3rd Edition

The TomTom One 3rd Edition does NOT have an SD card slot so you will never be able to upgrade the memory on this unit. You are stuck with the miniscule 1GB of RAM it came with. It is a much better decision to purchase the TomTom One XL or another higher TT unit that has an SD card slot so you can expand your memory to install larger or multiple maps and lots of POI files.

Each new map update is larger than the previous one and the TT One 3rd edition 1GB is pretty much full. There is only about 40MB free. There is no room to add extra maps ( e.g. Europe, Australia, etc. ) and as new maps continue to grow the USA_and_Canada map will soon no longer fit on the 1GB RAM and then you will not be able to update the map on your TT One 3rd Edition.

It is a much better choice to choose a TomTom that has an SD card slot.

I can't imagine why Tom Tom made 3rd edition that way. I guess to cut costs, but the 2nd edition was reasonably priced, I thought

Switched to 2GB card; upgraded to N. America maps, and now a weird problem

***UPDATE***

Fixed! A reset using a paperclip on the magic little button seemed to do the trick!

***END OF UPDATE***

On my TT One 2nd Ed (Nav 7.162), I successfully purchased, downloaded, and installed the N. America maps for my new 2gb SD card, and everything works great . . .

. . . EXCEPT . . it will only turn if it's plugged in to external power (PC or car cigarette adapter), OR--if there's no external power--I have to take the SD card out and put it right back in again. In either of these two cases, it will start.

Once it's turned on using one of these two methods, it works fine. But obviously something's wrong with the booting up.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited:
Home wants me to upgrade/downgrade

I've been enjoying my upgrade to N. America v710 on my 2gb card in my TT1 2nd Ed; however . . . Home 2.1 updates are persistently trying to get me to download and install USA & Canada 665.

Any thoughts on how I might make it stop?

Thanks,
Kev

I've been enjoying my upgrade to N. America v710 on my 2gb card in my TT1 2nd Ed; however . . . Home 2.1 updates are persistently trying to get me to download and install USA & Canada 665.

Any thoughts on how I might make it stop?

Thanks,
Kev

Download it, but don't install it

Red Light Cameras

Thanks for the update info, I will try it. Any info on redlight cameras for the US?

Thanks, Smokie.
Will Home 2 allow me to download the USA & Can 665 maps without also automatically installing?

Yes, it will download it to your PC, then just leave it there and don't install it onto your TomTom. The software will remember that you downloaded it and it shouldn't remind you to do it again after that. Good Luck!

***UPDATE***

Fixed! A reset using a paperclip on the magic little button seemed to do the trick!

***END OF UPDATE***

On my TT One 2nd Ed (Nav 7.162), I successfully purchased, downloaded, and installed the N. America maps for my new 2gb SD card, and everything works great . . .

. . . EXCEPT . . it will only turn if it's plugged in to external power (PC or car cigarette adapter), OR--if there's no external power--I have to take the SD card out and put it right back in again. In either of these two cases, it will start.

Once it's turned on using one of these two methods, it works fine. But obviously something's wrong with the booting up.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Kevhar I have the same Problem as you has, Did you find any solution yet. If I had to take the SD card out and in we will worn out the slot.
Anyone had the same problem or solution ?

Thanks.

Kevhar I have the same Problem as you has, Did you find any solution yet. If I had to take the SD card out and in we will worn out the slot.
Anyone had the same problem or solution ?

Thanks.

When the unit is off simply put a paper clip into the reset hole. That will fix the boot issues.

Why can't I see the NA maps? I have a two gb card and it works well. But when HOME2 connects, it only shows the US Canada maps... I can't change the device either.

When I go to the website and choose UK, it won't let me purchase the maps with my account unless I create a new account.

What's my next move?

Why can't I see the NA maps? I have a two gb card and it works well. But when HOME2 connects, it only shows the US Canada maps... I can't change the device either.

When I go to the website and choose UK, it won't let me purchase the maps with my account unless I create a new account.

What's my next move?

I have read that you have to create a new account, and use a dummy address in the UK...maybe 10 Downing street! :D

How would you get a UK address as I want to purchase a new NA map here in a few days.

Does the faster ultra II sd cards work better that the standard SD card or just save the extra money for the map?

Ask a Question