XL lost computer voices after Home upgrade

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by TWD, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:09 AM.

1. TWD

TWD

TomTom Model(s):
    XL
    TomTom XL, Home 2.20.4.1267 on Windows 10

I have an XL that I bought several years ago with lifetime map support. While Home has been prompting me for a few months that the hardware is obsolete, and it is no longer to update the device with new software, it has continued to provide map updates.

Before my most recent trip, when I went to update the device, Home wanted to be updated first. After I completed the updated to home, and then to the device, I found that all the voices had been deleted from the device. I selected and installed all the English voices that Home listed, but it wasn't until I was actually on the road that I realized that I was missing the computer voices that would announce street names, and only had the very basic ones.

Now that I am at home, I find that the Voices choice (and all other choices) under "Add Traffic, Voices and other services" is greyed out. If I click it, I am told the hardware is obsolete, and that they'd be happy to sell me a new device.

This is all well and good, but why did the update process break a device that, while old, was still working fine? How do I get those voices back?

TWD, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:09 AM
    1. Advertisements

2. TWD

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    Did you by chance make a manual backup of your device's contents prior to the update?

dhn, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    1. Advertisements

3. TWD

TWD

TomTom Model(s):
    XL
    Not before the update of Home, no.

TWD, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:01 AM
  4. TWD

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA1535 GO 600
    The 'map updates' you may have recently received would be the little interim updates. When was the last time you performed a FULL map update (e.g., one that would take it from a version like 1020 to 1025), or a full firmware update, and do you still have access to the PC where that update was performed? If so, and if memory serves (I am on vacation and memory may not serve!) the voices may be able to be retrieved from your PC from one case or the other.

canderson, Dec 5, 2019 at 1:39 PM
  5. TWD

TWD

TomTom Model(s):
    XL
    The last full map update before the fateful Home update would have been in August, I think, before I made a trip for work. Yes, I still have the PC in question.

TWD, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:26 AM
  6. TWD

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA1535 GO 600
    Memory doing better now, and I'm fairly confident that you'd need the last *firmware* update, not *map* update to relocate your voices. Sorry about that. I'm still traveling, and if dhn or Arno will point you to the folder where you'll find that update on your PC (or if you poke around, you'll find it in the TomTom download/complete' folder), I'd be grateful. There was one back in April that was no doubt necessary for your XL due to the 'Week Number Rollover' issue. I would imagine you updated then -- or your clock would be quite wonky.

canderson, Dec 6, 2019 at 9:44 PM
  7. TWD

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    Maybe someplace like here?
    C:\Users\Owner\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\completel\ (I couldn't find anything worthwhile there. Perhaps Arno can step in)

dhn, Dec 7, 2019 at 12:02 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question