Lost Computer Voices

I have read various posts where users have complained of losing their computer voices and not able to fix it. Meaning, spoken street names are no longer working. Users have tried removing and reinstalling the computer voices, removing and reinstalling the application, changing from internal memory to external SD card, and on and on the frustration goes. Even using the flash fix tool doesn't help.

Well, I believe I have finally found the problem... it is the weakest link.... the TomTom Home application. And yes, the latest version as of today. The problem is the Home software apparently gets confused and puts multiple versions of the voices in multiple places. If you simply use the remove option to remove a computer voice, then put it back, you will see when you go to install the computer voice again it probably says on computer. IT MUST SAY ON LINE!!! Otherwise you are simply putting back the corrupted version. So, to ensure you get the location of ON LINE, the computer voices must be deleted from ALL locations. First, using TomTom Home and the Remove button, remove the computer voices from both your TomTom and the computer. There are two separate tabs for this in TomTom Home Remove. Now disconnect your TomTom and shut down TomTom Home. Using Windows Explorer, access any Voice folders under your TomTom drive such as G:, not C: drive yet, and ensure there are no computer voices by name, such as Dave or Kate. The internal TomTom memory should show as a drive with the TomTom icon/picture. If you have an SD card, you should see an additional drive such as H: next to the TomTom device drive, for a total fo 2 drives for your TomTom. If you find any Dave or Kate files (as example) delete them. Delete these from all TomTom drives (1 or 2). Now go to the TomTom folder under My Documents and again find any Voice folders. Again, if any of the computer voices are present, delete them.

Now link your TomTom back to your computer and start TomTom Home. Ignore for now any updates you are presented with. Follow steps to add voices to your TomTom and select computer voices. You should now see computer voices listed as ON LINE. You can now download and install these voices to your TomTom. When you are done, operate your TomTom and change voice preferences to the computer voice you installed. It should now work when you select the Test button.

Hope this helps people with this problem. It took me quite some time to arrive at this solution. I would love to see TomTom clean up and make more functional their TomTom Home product. The way it works now it not acceptable and it is the key to successful use of the TomTom.

TOM TOM XL 340 does not speek street names

Hi,

The computer voices in my Tom Tom XL 340 have vanished. when i connect to Tom Tom home and try searching for these voices online, it says no items available... and I am left with no Spoken street names... Any help is appriciated.

Milind

i am not sure if the model number is TomTom XL 340 or 340 S...how will i know that?

Thanks
Milind

Last edited:
Me too

Hi,

The computer voices in my Tom Tom XL 340 have vanished. when i connect to Tom Tom home and try searching for these voices online, it says no items available... and I am left with no Spoken street names... Any help is appriciated.

Milind

This is exactly what happened to my Tom Tom 340 XLs. Help!

When you look at the contents of your unit using Explorer, do you see a Loquendotts folder with other folders and files in it?

When you look at the contents of your unit using Explorer, do you see a Loquendotts folder with other folders and files in it?

Yes. There is a "bin" folder and a "data" folder. Both have various files in them.

Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the application version number. Tap that and the following screen shows the app version in detail. Can you post the complete application here.

On your unit. Tap the satellite bars. What does it show on the next screen as the version number.

Of course! I was looking for something on the computer! OK, here is the detailed version:
Device AKUY2 B2A5N
App 8.415 (1240/090818) OS: 344750
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5136
Map: 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v835.2419

To be clear.......

If you ARE seeing a computer voice on the UNIT and are using it ok, then you may wish to be satisfied with that.

If you are wondering where the computer voices are when running the emulator (Operate my Unit) in Home, the fact is that computer voices do not work in the emulator.

But if you are having no success with computer voices at all and can't seem to download any then...

Okay, do this.....

1. Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents
2. Delete all the loose files from the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
3. Download this application:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.417.xl2009_live_2048_tts.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE.cab

4. Use WinRar to extract the files from the cab file to your unit, overwriting as necessary.

See if that helps.

Hi .Could anyboy help me please.
I bought a tom tom go 630 and having a problem with the computer voices.
Does the computer voice work on my tom tom ?
And does it do Text speach?
Thx

The 630 is supposed to have computer voices which provide text to speech.

When you click on 'voice preferences', do you not see a computer voice available?

The 630 is supposed to have computer voices which provide text to speech.

When you click on 'voice preferences', do you not see a computer voice available?

No unfortunately , i can see nothing no computer voice!
Is it ok if i have a computer voice on my sd card, or it must be on my device?
Thx

It should be in a loquendotts folder and most have found that while it works fine to have the map on a card, the loquendotts folder seems to only work when on internal memory.

Use Explorer and copy the loquendotts folder to the root of your unit where other folders are, such as art, voices, etc.

Ask a Question