How to upgrade a ONE to a 2gb card for North America maps

4 Gb SD card?

Soooo. will a 4Gb SD card work as well?

Hi all,

As there are several threads with bits and pieces of information on this subject floating around, I'm taking the advice of my co-mods Pedro and battom, and am creating a sticky on the subject.

First, BACKUP. Please do not skip this step thinking it's unnecessary.

Then here's what I did that worked for me. I'm on a Mac, too.

I safely put away my original 1gb card (as yet another backup.) I then put the brand new, EMPTY 2gb card in my ONE. If your card is not empty because you are repurposing it for the TomTom, that's ok. Just manually DELETE all files from it first. No need to format the card.

Put the new TomTom maps DVD into your DVD drive.

Then, after installing the 2gb card into your ONE, connect it via usb to HOME. HOME will likely NOT see your device right now because there is no app or nothing on the card. DON'T PANIC. Simply go up to your HOME menu and choose device->change device and it will locate your ONE.

Next, click on install to TomTom in HOME and you see three tabs across the top: my computer, TomTom CD, and All Sources. Choose TomTom CD (even though it's a DVD!)

On things to install, YOU MUST CHOOSE THE APP FROM THE DVD. No, it's not the latest app, but afterwards, you can update once you get things installed smoothly. Choose the app, choose the North America map, and choose any voices you would like installed.

Click install, and wait (it's USB, after all.) Let it install, disconnect via HOME, your unit will reset itself.

NOTE: Since you began with a BLANK sd card and the DVD doesn't have a splash screen to install, YOU WILL HAVE TO INSTALL THE SPLASH SCREEN YOURSELF! You'll notice that once your unit resets itself, it goes from gray right into the maps page. This is because there is no splash screen! So locate your backup (in step one above) and just drag the splash.bmp file onto your ONE (you must mount it again via USB.)

After verified and working, you should mount it again to HOME and allow HOME to install the latest updates so you can get your QuickFix! :)

To restore your favorites, go grab the mapsettings.cfg file and copy it over to the new SD card.

I hope this helps!

Hi, I purchased and downloaded westerneurope map on a 2gb x131 speed sd card on my TT XL.S All went well and I added the voices then there was a message application did not complete? "unkwn error caught" CD Card animation of card removal then red x over it. I pit the sd card into my card reader and the files appear TT suport says my MaCaffe firewall blocked it?? Can anyone help, I'm very new to all of this and not sure how to delete files and re add (as TT support says I should) Can anyone help me suceed?
Thanks.
Westham

You can't do it on a unit that was not loaded with it in the first place anymore :(

I was just trying to figure this out. I've got a TT One, I think it's Second Edition. Quite a while ago I got a 2GB card and upgraded to the North America version of the maps. But now I'd like to get the most recent NA maps, and I can't seem to figure out how to get them.

Does your statement above mean that for a TT One 2nd Edition, it's now impossible to get the NA (as opposed to USA+Canada) maps?

I was just trying to figure this out. I've got a TT One, I think it's Second Edition. Quite a while ago I got a 2GB card and upgraded to the North America version of the maps. But now I'd like to get the most recent NA maps, and I can't seem to figure out how to get them.

Does your statement above mean that for a TT One 2nd Edition, it's now impossible to get the NA (as opposed to USA+Canada) maps?
That is correct. Even if you were able to download the map, you could not load it on your device. Tom Tom changed this around the first of the year.

New navcore 8 w/ older 2gb maps

I have the older 2gb map on my TT1, and I haven't upgraded Home or Navcore in a long time because I'm afraid of it killing my maps. Is it safe to upgrade to the navcore 8 system without my losing access to my maps? Thanks.

Go ahead and upgrade. Just make sure that you do a manual backup of your TomTom using Windows Explorer. (Do NOT use the 'Home' program, as many people have gotten errors.)

If your upgrade isn't successful, you can just recopy your old memory contents back onto the TomTom.

How to Down Load USA Maps with 2Gb SD Memory Card

I have a Tom Tom One Europe (2nd Edition - Green Box), it came with Western Europe and Canary Islands preloaded on the device i.e. Without Memory Card in the slot.

We recently purchased the USA maps and realised we did not have enough available memory to download to the TT One. I purchased a Lexar 2GB SD Memory Card, formatted and plugged it into the One. I keep getting a prompt on the sceen that Card in not a Tom Tom Card, does it have to be???

I proceeded to complete a backup of my maps to the computer before updating and down loading USA map. I transferred the backup maps to the SD Memory card and now when I start up the TT without it connected to the computer I am only getting USA map, but when I install the memory card and connect to the computer it is stating that the Western Europe Maps are on the Device and the USA Maps are on the computer.

Is the problem that the SD memory card is not a Tom Tom branded Card or What am I doing wrong???

Regards,

:confused:

I have a Tom Tom One Europe (2nd Edition - Green Box), it came with Western Europe and Canary Islands preloaded on the device i.e. Without Memory Card in the slot.

We recently purchased the USA maps and realised we did not have enough available memory to download to the TT One. I purchased a Lexar 2GB SD Memory Card, formatted and plugged it into the One. I keep getting a prompt on the sceen that Card in not a Tom Tom Card, does it have to be???

I proceeded to complete a backup of my maps to the computer before updating and down loading USA map. I transferred the backup maps to the SD Memory card and now when I start up the TT without it connected to the computer I am only getting USA map, but when I install the memory card and connect to the computer it is stating that the Western Europe Maps are on the Device and the USA Maps are on the computer.

Is the problem that the SD memory card is not a Tom Tom branded Card or What am I doing wrong???

Regards,

:confused:
When you formatted it, was it FAT32?

cool thanks

smile3

Installing 2gb Card For First Time

I want to install a 2GB SD card in my ONE XL for the first time. There is no card in it now. What steps should I use?

I want to install a 2GB SD card in my ONE XL for the first time. There is no card in it now. What steps should I use?

Just copy the entire contents of your unit's internal memory on to the card. You can do this using Windows Explorer. Then, when the card is inserted, the unit will boot up from the card, ignoring the internal memory.

Ask a Question