How to upgrade a ONE to a 2gb card for North America maps

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 335S
Hi all,

As there are several threads with bits and pieces of information on this subject floating around, I'm taking the advice of my co-mods Pedro and battom, and am creating a sticky on the subject.

First, BACKUP. Please do not skip this step thinking it's unnecessary.

Then here's what I did that worked for me. I'm on a Mac, too.

I safely put away my original 1gb card (as yet another backup.) I then put the brand new, EMPTY 2gb card in my ONE. If your card is not empty because you are repurposing it for the TomTom, that's ok. Just manually DELETE all files from it first. No need to format the card.

Put the new TomTom maps DVD into your DVD drive.

Then, after installing the 2gb card into your ONE, connect it via usb to HOME. HOME will likely NOT see your device right now because there is no app or nothing on the card. DON'T PANIC. Simply go up to your HOME menu and choose device->change device and it will locate your ONE.

Next, click on install to TomTom in HOME and you see three tabs across the top: my computer, TomTom CD, and All Sources. Choose TomTom CD (even though it's a DVD!)

On things to install, YOU MUST CHOOSE THE APP FROM THE DVD. No, it's not the latest app, but afterwards, you can update once you get things installed smoothly. Choose the app, choose the North America map, and choose any voices you would like installed.

Click install, and wait (it's USB, after all.) Let it install, disconnect via HOME, your unit will reset itself.

NOTE: Since you began with a BLANK sd card and the DVD doesn't have a splash screen to install, YOU WILL HAVE TO INSTALL THE SPLASH SCREEN YOURSELF! You'll notice that once your unit resets itself, it goes from gray right into the maps page. This is because there is no splash screen! So locate your backup (in step one above) and just drag the splash.bmp file onto your ONE (you must mount it again via USB.)

After verified and working, you should mount it again to HOME and allow HOME to install the latest updates so you can get your QuickFix! :)

To restore your favorites, go grab the mapsettings.cfg file and copy it over to the new SD card.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you fanchee!!!
I'll be using your How-to Monday or Tuesday night... I believe my 2Gb and 4GB cards will be here when i get home tomorrow!

hmm... Am I doing something wrong here?

I simply use SD card reader, "Select all" files from the TT card.

"copy" and "paste" into new 2GB SD card w/ FAT. (not FAT 32)

That's all and it works perfectly.
________
VOLCANO VIDEO REVIEW

Last edited:
Sounds like you are just copying over what you already have. These instructions are for installing the new North America maps onto a brand new card.

Hmm, I just upgraded to a 2G card before reading this post. I basically followed the same steps with the exception of installing the old version of app. I checked off the new one and installed that fresh. All seems to work fine. I show App - 6.560, GPS - 1.21 and North America - v665.1293. Is this all the latest and greatest? How do I confirm the GPSfix?

Yep, you have the latest and greatest. :)

To confirm the GPSfix, you should have a file on your ONE called ephemeris. Just use HOME and explore to look for that file.

I haven't gotten my new map dvd yet. I have copied all my updated data, poi, etc over to a 2 gig card that is working fine currently. My question is, when I get my dvd, do I just delete the usa/canada maps off of the card and do a install of just the NA maps off the dvd using TTHome? Or do I need to delete everything off my card and start over by following Fanchee's instructions?

Thanks.

If you have the 2 gig card already working,
I see no reason to start off from the beginnging.
You could just delete the USA/Canada map and install NA just like you have
said, and it should work just fine.

I am in the process of doing exact same thing...
my dvd should arrive hopefully by tomorrow...

I think you guys should make a section for the Orginal File of the tomotom for each system and version. if anyone wants to go back to how it was fresh out of the box. they could just grap the file on here. what you guys think?

The problem with that is, who still has the old files? HOME updates you automatically and if you don't catch it.. I have started (since this version) to make backup copies for myself. I don't know if it would be a problem with TomTom or not to distribute them.

Let us know how that works for you. My DVD is probably a week out still.

If you have the 2 gig card already working,
I see no reason to start off from the beginnging.
You could just delete the USA/Canada map and install NA just like you have
said, and it should work just fine.

I am in the process of doing exact same thing...
my dvd should arrive hopefully by tomorrow...

I have a Go300 and I just did a backup, switched to the new card, did a restore, then installed new map. It took a while, but seemed to work well, except my TT seems to be now known as "unknown device".

Donttgo,
I still haven't received my DVD yet...
I don't know what is going on...
but they didn't even send me the email verifying the map is on the way.
I think I am going to contact them soon.

chief, when I copied the SD card stuff,
I just copied the whole SD on the comp, and then copy its content into the
new SD. As soon as DVD comes, i will just upgrade the new 2gb SD card.
I don't have a problem with mine in terms of computer recognizing the tomtom.
hope this helps...

Donttgo,
I still haven't received my DVD yet...
I don't know what is going on...
but they didn't even send me the email verifying the map is on the way.
I think I am going to contact them soon.

chief, when I copied the SD card stuff,
I just copied the whole SD on the comp, and then copy its content into the
new SD. As soon as DVD comes, i will just upgrade the new 2gb SD card.
I don't have a problem with mine in terms of computer recognizing the tomtom.
hope this helps...

Order mine on 2-28 and received today!! Much quicker than the 3-4 weeks the website said. Will try to load the NA maps as soon as free up my 2GB card from camera.......

I just got my 2GB card today. Big thanks to Battom for helping me pick out a SD card.
Thanks again Fanchee for this terrific write up. I should of take screen shots of me doing this. Doh!!! It would of been helpful for others.

What I did do extra that wasn't in the instructions, was install the satellite image. I wasn't sure if it was neccessary so I installed the full version of the satellite image.

Glad to hear it went well, Pedro. I also installed the satellite imagery, just forgot to say so in the original post. Not sure what good it did, but I did it! :)

I had to do it twice. The first time I also installed the newestest firmwire, suntime and the images at one. I turned on the unit and it didn't get passed the 'please wait' screen. So I formated the card and did it over again following your exact steps of turning on the unit after the maps are installed. Then reconnecting it to home and adding the latest firmwire and other goodies.

ok. I have received the DVD and have uploaded it by only replacing NA map.
Works just fine.
But make sure you have a copy of your favorites file, so that you can
replace it in the NA folder.
For some odd reason, when you delete the US & Canada map using HOME
erases the favorites file and does not erase any of the custom POIs.
Once you installed the NA map, you can go back, move the custom POIs
to the NA folder and erase the US & Canada folder.
Works fine.
FYI, there was a new satelite link update today...
At least for me there was....

Ask a Question