How to upgrade a ONE to a 2gb card for North America maps

struggling to move to new sd card

:mad: :mad:

I downloaded the Western Europe Maps (~1GB) and bought myself an sd card reader and a new 4GB card.

When I backup from TomTom OneXL Regional onto my PC I can see two master files "Internal" and "External". I have copied the files onto my new 4GB sd card.

However, I have 3 problems

1) my sd card reader does not seem able to read the TomTom supplied sd card
2) my TomTom does not recognise the new 4GB sd card
3) as a result I can't get anything to work.

Any assistance gratefully appreciated

tcsmoore 08 Sept 2007
Hi all,

As there are several threads with bits and pieces of information on this subject floating around, I'm taking the advice of my co-mods Pedro and battom, and am creating a sticky on the subject.

First, BACKUP. Please do not skip this step thinking it's unnecessary.

Then here's what I did that worked for me. I'm on a Mac, too.

I safely put away my original 1gb card (as yet another backup.) I then put the brand new, EMPTY 2gb card in my ONE. If your card is not empty because you are repurposing it for the TomTom, that's ok. Just manually DELETE all files from it first. No need to format the card.

Put the new TomTom maps DVD into your DVD drive.

Then, after installing the 2gb card into your ONE, connect it via usb to HOME. HOME will likely NOT see your device right now because there is no app or nothing on the card. DON'T PANIC. Simply go up to your HOME menu and choose device->change device and it will locate your ONE.

Next, click on install to TomTom in HOME and you see three tabs across the top: my computer, TomTom CD, and All Sources. Choose TomTom CD (even though it's a DVD!)

On things to install, YOU MUST CHOOSE THE APP FROM THE DVD. No, it's not the latest app, but afterwards, you can update once you get things installed smoothly. Choose the app, choose the North America map, and choose any voices you would like installed.

Click install, and wait (it's USB, after all.) Let it install, disconnect via HOME, your unit will reset itself.

NOTE: Since you began with a BLANK sd card and the DVD doesn't have a splash screen to install, YOU WILL HAVE TO INSTALL THE SPLASH SCREEN YOURSELF! You'll notice that once your unit resets itself, it goes from gray right into the maps page. This is because there is no splash screen! So locate your backup (in step one above) and just drag the splash.bmp file onto your ONE (you must mount it again via USB.)

After verified and working, you should mount it again to HOME and allow HOME to install the latest updates so you can get your QuickFix! :)

To restore your favorites, go grab the mapsettings.cfg file and copy it over to the new SD card.

I hope this helps!

:mad: :mad:

I downloaded the Western Europe Maps (~1GB) and bought myself an sd card reader and a new 4GB card.

When I backup from TomTom OneXL Regional onto my PC I can see two master files "Internal" and "External". I have copied the files onto my new 4GB sd card.

However, I have 3 problems

1) my sd card reader does not seem able to read the TomTom supplied sd card
2) my TomTom does not recognise the new 4GB sd card
3) as a result I can't get anything to work.

Any assistance gratefully appreciated

tcsmoore 08 Sept 2007

Is the SD card you are using SDHC?

hmm... Am I doing something wrong here?

I simply use SD card reader, "Select all" files from the TT card.

"copy" and "paste" into new 2GB SD card w/ FAT. (not FAT 32)

That's all and it works perfectly.
it works fine on 2GB SD card with FAT32

That kinda talk will get your banned for sure. I suggest you edit your post. TomTomForums do not support piracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not looking to get any one banned. On TT home page under maps it doesn't tell the version of the maps. Why take a chance and pay to get what I already have. Trust me I admin a forum and I also preach search, search, and search some more and you will find what you're looking for. Plus this is the 'unofficial' site. TT shouldn't take offense to what we post but learn from it. The reality these days you find sites where if you look hard enough, some one has loaded the new maps to there server for down load. I see both sides. But what manufacturers need to realize, it stinks to have to pay more for the new maps then you paid for the TT.

I'm not looking to get any one banned. On TT home page under maps it doesn't tell the version of the maps. Why take a chance and pay to get what I already have. Trust me I admin a forum and I also preach search, search, and search some more and you will find what you're looking for. Plus this is the 'unofficial' site. TT shouldn't take offense to what we post but learn from it. The reality these days you find sites where if you look hard enough, some one has loaded the new maps to there server for down load. I see both sides. But what manufacturers need to realize, it stinks to have to pay more for the new maps then you paid for the TT.

Hey Minnie,

My post wasn't directed towards you...it was towards another poster. You said nothing out of the line.

To find out what map version you have click on the TomTom Screen where it shows you the mileage left, time of arrival, etc. You will then get a new screen, and you need to click where it says TOMTOM version. It will then give you all of your detailed specs for the unit, including map version.

Hope that helps.

but he still no clue which version TT is selling online!

In HOME v1.5, purchasing the map was a problem because adding the map to your cart did not show you what version you were purchasing. IIRC, HOME v2.0 was fixed to show what version the map is when you click on the link 'more information'.

When you buy the maps online from TT's website, switch to UK language, and when you select your model and map, it will show you the map version before you buy.

New TT1

Hey there guys! Noobie here...:)

Just got my TTOne v4 over the weekend @ CircuitCity...:D
Mine didn't come with an SD card :confused: - it came preloaded in internal Memory. According to the version note - Map(US/Canada) memory is 29MB and I have 3.6MB of free memory.

I figure I can plug in a blank formatted SD card for extra memory but TTOne keep asking me to remove it when I turn it on... any input on this? Is it possible to expand my memory/disk space since 3.6MB of free memory would most likely to ran out sooner or later. Thanks!

Hey there guys! Noobie here...:)

Just got my TTOne v4 over the weekend @ CircuitCity...:D
Mine didn't come with an SD card :confused: - it came preloaded in internal Memory. According to the version note - Map(US/Canada) memory is 29MB and I have 3.6MB of free memory.

I figure I can plug in a blank formatted SD card for extra memory but TTOne keep asking me to remove it when I turn it on... any input on this? Is it possible to expand my memory/disk space since 3.6MB of free memory would most likely to ran out sooner or later. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

As you can tell already, inserting a blank SD card will not work. In order for you to make it work, you need to copy the contents of the internal memory card to the SD card (firmware, maps, voices...everything).

When you insert a blank SD card in the ONE, the internal memory is disabled and uses the SD card slot exclusively. Since, the SD card is blank (no firmware and maps) it does not function. Loading the software on the SD card will solve your problem.

New 2gb SD Card

I have read all the post for this thread. however, I cannot get my TT New Edition to recognize the new 2 gb card. I do the cut and paste from the 1 gb card to the 2 gb card. When I insert it and power up the TT it asks me to select a map and then to go to www.ttcode.com and get an activation code. When I do this the TT will not accept the new activiation code.
Please help.

Ask a Question