How to upgrade a ONE to a 2gb card for North America maps

battom & all,

The card was empy each time I started and each time I only installed thru TT Home. Although I did try a copy from the OEM to the new card once out of frustration, no go.

The data appears on the new 2gig card but TT1 doesn't recognize it.

Again each time I would erase the card and try again thru TT Home and the results would be the same.

so this is simply just an issue of the Device not seeing your SD card? or an activation issue?

Time to move part of this to a new thread as this has turned into a fix it and should be on the end of a how-to.

Backup and install on new 2Gig card went perfectly.....
with one exception.
How do I restore my FAVORITES without overwriting the entire SD card?

Hmmm.. don't see mapsettings.cfg from inside TT Home.
I can find it using windows explorer to look at my backup folder.
I suppose I can just copy and paste the file using WinExplorer.
If it doesn't work........ I'll be back. <grin>

Hi Jim,

Yes, go and manually copy it over. It should work, but post back if it doesn't. :)

Map Upgrade to NA

:) Received my Map DVD yesterday and the 2G card today. Everything went smooth. Thanks for a great job on the instructions. The only thing left is to move my itineraries.

Are there significantly more POI's in the NA maps compared with the US and Canada maps? I've heard that Garmin has the most POI's, so I was wondering: 1) If TomTom's upgraded NA maps come closer to rivaling Garmin's; and 2) If the POI's in the NA maps are worth the upgrade.

Thanks,
Kevin

That post might work for the first edition ONE. But what about the 2nd edition ONE? How do we use a 2Gb SD card and get the ONE to recognize it? Also, since the ONE goes to read the SD card once you insert it (and not the internal memory), how do you get past that?
:confused:

That post might work for the first edition ONE. But what about the 2nd edition ONE? How do we use a 2Gb SD card and get the ONE to recognize it? Also, since the ONE goes to read the SD card once you insert it (and not the internal memory), how do you get past that?

The most easiest way is to copy the entire contents of the original SD card to the new SD card. The new SD card should be the exact copy of the original and should be recognized when you insert it to the TT1 v2.

After that just use HOME to delete the USA/Canada map and install the North America map.

4GB SDHC card

Maybe a bit OT but I just found out that my TT1 V2 didn't recognize my new 4Gb SDHC card, using 1 or 2Gb card works fine.

I tried to find information about this but didn't find any.

Here might be a strange question but after all I am a new user so here we go...:confused: Why would we need to have a sd card installed in the device when it already has 1 gig internal memory? What can you do by having an extra card installed...is it for more maps and what else? Fill me in or point me in the right direction with the answers.

later
stuntboy

With the 2gig SD card you can install north american maps if you wish among other things (cant talk about it here) There are some 4gig cards that will work that are the old standards.

NA maps do have more POI's and are much more detailed (lakes, parks, etc)

Ive noticed the latest 675 north american map zooms out slightly more than the others (which i like better cause i can see more)

don't forget formatting

I know it's been mentioned in here before, but don't forget to format your 2 Gig card with FAT and not FAT32, I missed that when I was upgrading mine and had worlds of trouble until some research on these boards got me to fix it. Since reformatting to FAT and installing the backup, I've had no trouble with startup, operation or shutdown. Just wanted to remind other newbies like myself, that may have missed this.

Ask a Question