GPS won't download/update

Wish we could have helped. Hate to see one binned!

On your new unit, it does not appear to support traffic of any kind. Beware.

Incidentally; when my device is not connected to my computer and I turn it off, it takes a very long time, and then it goes to a green screen; and if I hold the on/off button long enough it will reboot to the TomTom logo screen as shown in the picture. When it is still connected to the computer and I press the on/off button, it will turn off (immediately) to a blank/black screen. When I turn it back on it reboot to the connection screen (which shows an egg timer, cable plugged into a screen and large red X over a hand and symbol of a hard drive flashing); then, TomTom (F: ) drive appears on my computer screen showing all the files in there. But, the TomTom Home screen doesn't show up on the device at all.

The new unit I'm interested in buying doesn't show anything about supporting traffic, so I just now asked the question in the Q&As. I'm now waiting for an answer. There are mixed reviews, and it has a 4* rating.

I mentioned the traffic support only because it certainly will depend upon where you are driving as to its importance. Be conscious of both the quality and the price of 'live' traffic data when making a selection for a new device. TomTom's Live system has provided me with exceptionally good service, and it's easy enough to pick a unit that provides it at no monthly cost.

TomTom has a couple of options in Europe ... 1) Devices like the 6200 that include their own cellular modem to make their own connections, but cost a bit more to purchase, or 2) Devices that use your own cell phone to make the connection back to TomTom to get the data. The amount of data isn't very large, and won't even matter if you have a plan with your provider that covers a reasonable amount of data for free each month.

Canderson, reply from Amazon...

A seller answered your question,
"Does this unit support traffic of any kind?"
Wei Li answered:
"If what you mean is the vehicle mode, this item support 7 vehicle modes between Car/Pedestrian/Bicycle/Emergency/Bus/Taxi/Truck(Lorry). You can change it according to your actual request as the following way: Navigation--- Settings(Tools icon)--- Route Settings--- Vehicle(chose your vehicle type and tick it). After you selected the vehicle mode you need, then click the icon 'screw and spanner', you can enter the basic information of your vehicle such as such as length, width, height and Max. Speed. Hope the above could help, if you have any other question, please feel free to contact us via Amazon message."

Sorry for late reply. Was on vacation.
Seller did not answer your question, which I think was plenty clear enough.

Sorry for late reply. Was on vacation.
Seller did not answer your question, which I think was plenty clear enough.

It seems I didn't include all seller's reply... I was also advised; because the device operates offline, it won't support traffic.

All of these devices CAN operate 'offline', but even the lesser priced ones will accept an RDS-TMC cable. I'm not recommending that compared to Live traffic, however.
I think I'd call UK customer support instead. Ask them whether the 620 as shipped in the UK will support traffic via cell phone connection between Netherlands and your unit. That's the standard method here since we don't have the units with the GSM modems in them here (e.g., 6200). I will not be the least surprised if they confirm this.

02079 490 132
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

All of these devices CAN operate 'offline', but even the lesser priced ones will accept an RDS-TMC cable. I'm not recommending that compared to Live traffic, however.
I think I'd call UK customer support instead. Ask them whether the 620 as shipped in the UK will support traffic via cell phone connection between Netherlands and your unit. That's the standard method here since we don't have the units with the GSM modems in them here (e.g., 6200). I will not be the least surprised if they confirm this.

02079 490 132
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Hi Canderson, I managed to fix my TomTom XXL 540 by deleting my account and set up a new one with a new email address and reregistered it, and Boom! all software downloaded and installed.

Ask a Question