TomTom Start 1EX00 froze on start screen

I'd be surprised if it DID offer you maps, usually you will have to recover those later from your own backup.
So what is it offering you?
My suggestion was to install just the software first (it will probably insist on adding one voice too), so you know you have a "clean" system. Then once it is working to that basic level, you can start adding anything else that Home offers you, and finally re-install your maps from your backup.

It did offer me UK & Ireland maps but I unchecked the install.

I have now installed the mandatory software and a handful of voices.

Home is trying to restart the device but it has stalled again.

Shall I reset the device and see what happens from there?

ok, after restting the device and checking for any further updates it only offers 'maps'

I have disconnected the device from home and reset and turned on. again, it has froze

yes, formatted to FAT32 then connected to home, installed everything except maps.

Hmm.. afraid I'm running out of ideas now :(.

If you tried it when the unit ONLY had an official version of software and one voice on it, directly downloaded from Home, and it's STILL misbehaving, then we haven't got many more avenues to explore.

Clutching at straws here... have you tried the "Clearflash" utility? (from HERE)

Hi again,

Just ran the flash tool and it's still not working.

I appreciate your time and effort though trying to help me sort this matter, and also to those who have also tried.

I guess I'm just gonna have to fork out for a new one :(

Last thing I could think of is the following:

Use winrar and extract the contents of the link below to the Tomtom drive, then unplug it and turn the device on. See if it gets past the frozen start screen now, if so then plug into Tomtom HOME and do "update my START".

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.057.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START.cab

definitely gonna try this mate and am very grateful for the suggestion.

I was just wondering, do I have to format the device then install the above download?

Last thing I could think of is the following:

Use winrar and extract the contents of the link below to the Tomtom drive, then unplug it and turn the device on. See if it gets past the frozen start screen now, if so then plug into Tomtom HOME and do "update my START".

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.057.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START.cab

Excellent news! it's up and running thanks to the .rar download you suggested. But now it won't pick up a GPS. There are no updates available from home so I'm a bit stumped now. :confused:

Don't expect an immediate GPS lock when you do what you've done. It can take as much as 12-1/2 minutes in clear sky (worst case) to acquire enough info to know where all of the satellites are.

When you go to the GPS status page, what do you see in the way of reception?

oh I see. On the GPS status page it says 'por gps reception' and the vertical bars at the bottom of the screen have three bars in a shade of grey and four others with '00' on them......if that helps?

TomTom is fully functional!! Absolutely chuffed. Thanks so much guys for all your time and effort. Extremely grateful! :D

Ask a Question