TomTom Start 1EX00 froze on start screen

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Start 1EX00
Hi,

I really need help as I've borrowed this TomTom off my sister-in-law for my journey on monday. So not only do I need it by then, I also need to fix this as I can afford to replace the gps.

I've done the basics, from what I can gather, as in holding down the reset button and performing a back up and restore on TomTom home 2 spc software.

Nothing has worked up to this point and am starting to worry.

I updated the maps for our journey (as my sis in law advised) through the above pc software and it all came up saying successful. after I ejected the gps it kept freezing on the boot screen after the TomTom logo screen.

I've followed some of the thread below but it all seemed a little technical. Please help someone!

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/ON...OME/TomTom-Start-Stuck-On-Startup/td-p/110749

Hi, I followed the guide in your post and still the same. I formatted the gps in FAT32 (as I seen in the other link) and copied over the backed up files.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Well, assuming you've made the Explorer backup, use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and install the application that will be offered.

Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

I just found this forum link https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/tomtom-start-1ex00-stuck-on-splash.28017/ and followed that same advice as you've just gave.

now the device just stays on the TomTom logo. not the 'Start' splash screen as bit did before

Also when I connect it to the home software it comes up saying that the device requires an update but when I click update it says no updates available.

Is there anyway I can download a fresh version of the o/s? I think it may have 'downgraded' the software as the option to use my device through home isn't available to me now as my device is 'not supported' although it was earlier.

Last edited:
You have the backup made by Explorer, right?

Connect to Home-->Manage my Device-->Items on Device, application and remove.

Items on computer-->application, select to remove.

Now, try updating the device again.

I did make a backup in explorer and have followed -

'Connect to Home-->Manage my Device-->Items on Device, application and remove.'

but I cant find an application folder/file to delete for your second suggestion

'Items on computer-->application, select to remove.'

I've looked in the backup folder I created through explorer and can't see anything. would it be in a folder maybe?

If Home can't see it on your computer, probably doesn't exist.

You can try hunting for it yourself. See below:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\application\
or.....
C:\Users\username\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\application(if Windows 7/VISTA)

no mate it's still the same. can you not get a rom type thing and flash it on?

Within Tomtom HOME, there should be a "Operate my Start" option. Try opening that, does the onscreen software start up? If so, use that onscreen emulator to add a favorite, then disconnect.

If you get an error, can you be specific about what error? Also, can you post the first 2 digits of your serial number to make sure we're addressing the proper software?

Hi, sorry for my late response I've only just got back today off my holiday.

when I go to the 'operate my start' tab, and click on it, it says -

'THIS FEATURE CANNOT BE USED. you cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device'

I find this strange as when I first tried to update the device it was an option.

the first two digits of the serial number are XC

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

You should be seeing a message offering to download a necessary file to make it work. Not showing, eh?

Looks like you don't have the proper application on the device.

Open Tomtom HOME, and use the "Manage my Start" button within HOME. On the "Items on device" tab remove anything under "Applications". Then go to "Update my Start" and repeatedly update the application until nothing further is offered. Then try the "Operate my Start" again.

I think that's what David recommend in post #7, in addition to assuring that he'd deleted any found on the PC so that nothing got reloaded from there.

Looks like you don't have the proper application on the device.

Open Tomtom HOME, and use the "Manage my Start" button within HOME. On the "Items on device" tab remove anything under "Applications". Then go to "Update my Start" and repeatedly update the application until nothing further is offered. Then try the "Operate my Start" again.

ok, I tried this again and after the fresh install/update a pop up message appears stating -

RESTARTING YOU NAVIGATION DEVICE.

Buty as this is where the device freezes, on the boot up screen, it never does restart. I have to reset it (while still conected to my comp) which now brings up a pop up box saying -

APPLICATION INSTALLATION COMPLETE.

and that it's going to check for further updates, which one it checks there are none available. I then navigate to operate my start and the opyion is there but not 'highlighted' for me to use.

I have then tried ejecting the device - resetting it - reconnecting to home.

This then brings up a box saying 'updates available' but when I click update none appears to install.

I've then navigated again to control my start and still nothing.

Has anyone suggested deleting the file MapSettings.cfg yet?

I'm not sure where the OP is at now, whether he has reformatted AND restored a backup, or reformatted and just tried to get a software update.

OP, if you look on the unit now (using Windows Explorer), do you have a set of folders on there as well as a few system files?
If you have a map folder (called Western Europe or North America or something similar) then go into that folder and delete the file called "Mapsettings.cfg.

Any better?

Has anyone suggested deleting the file MapSettings.cfg yet?

I'm not sure where the OP is at now, whether he has reformatted AND restored a backup, or reformatted and just tried to get a software update.

OP, if you look on the unit now (using Windows Explorer), do you have a set of folders on there as well as a few system files?
If you have a map folder (called Western Europe or North America or something similar) then go into that folder and delete the file called "Mapsettings.cfg.

Any better?

Hi and thanks for your quick response.

I have deleted the file as suggested the device is still the same.

when I re-connect to home the same box comes up saying device needs updates but when I click it says none are available.

The device just freezes on the same screen.

Also on home the 'operate my start' is still unavailable.

OK, so if you have been able to try deleting that file, then it means you must have re-installed a backup from somewhere (because assuming you did do a reformat, and ONLY a reformat, there would not be a map folder on there yet).

What happens if you remove EVERYTHING from the unit (i.e. another re-format - but KEEP any backups you have so far) and then connect to Home and accept the offered software.

Does the unit then boot up and get as far as "No maps found..."?

I'm just formatting the device now.

When you say'accept the offered software' do I install everything EXCEPT maps?

if not how will I reach your next comment -

'Does the unit then boot up and get as far as "No maps found..."?'

Ask a Question