TomTom Start 1EX00 flashing red cross

TomTom Model(s)
Start 1EX00
Hi Everyone,

My TomTom Start 1EX00 suddenly stopped working. Now, when I turn the unit on, it boots, but stops with a red flashing cross.

So far I've tried the following things:
- Resetting the unit;
- Updating the software with the TomTom HOME application;
- Formatting the partition and installing fresh software with the TomTom HOME application.

I followed most of the instructions on these two posts:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-part-1-first-steps-in-system-recovery.27292/
https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...to-reinstall-fresh-software-using-home.27294/

This all to no avail; the unit still shows the flashing red cross after booting.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for any tips or hints.

Best regards, Roel

Hi dhn, thanks for your answers.

I tried that, first by updating the software (it hadn't been updated in quite some time) but that didn't help.
Then I formatted the device and reinstalled the software on it (not by restoring the backup, but a fresh install) but that didn't help either.
I have also tried to install just the software and no maps, but even that didn't change anything.

Every time the device starts it ends up flashing a red cross in the right corner, while the hard disk icon is show in the left corner.

Is there any way to get more debug info from the device than just the red X?

Thanks,

Roel

The one thing I see mentioned that I didn't try, is to operate the device from the TomTom HOME software, but that option is not available to me (it's greyed out), which is something I see reported more often in the forum.

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole.

Nope, I didn't. It took around 10 minutes, so that should be indicative that it wasn't a quickformat. However, I did this on my mac; perhaps I could try it again on Windows.

Ask a Question