Go720 intermittent starting problems

You've made an interesting observation shared by some others (myself included). Your 'helicopter' comment confirms that many of us believe that the entire 3D view feels like it's at a higher angle than it used to be.

You'll find that more of the time than before, you will be or can be interacting with a map. As an example of this: you can do a lot from the driving map that you couldn't do before. The UI on this thing isn't very intuitive, but there are some features that you may well wish to investigate early on. First, I would recommend setting the unit to 3D in the configuration. Now .. you'll notice the little +/- buttons with the arrow above them on the main driving map/screen. The arrow is a compass (north up, west left, etc.). However, if you touch that little compass arrow when you're in 3D mode, you get switched to 2D north-up mode, and you can pan the screen, select a favorite, zoom up and down, or whatever else you would (in previous versions) have done by moving off the driving screen to the "View map", but more, and while you do so, your current position and route remain displayed. I rather like that - it's what I was mentioning above.

No doubt about it, there will be an adjustment period, but not all of the new layout is a bad thing -- some of it is actually helpful.

You've made an interesting observation shared by some others (myself included). Your 'helicopter' comment confirms that many of us believe that the entire 3D view feels like it's at a higher angle than it used to be.

You'll find that more of the time than before, you will be or can be interacting with a map. As an example of this: you can do a lot from the driving map that you couldn't do before. The UI on this thing isn't very intuitive, but there are some features that you may well wish to investigate early on. First, I would recommend setting the unit to 3D in the configuration. Now .. you'll notice the little +/- buttons with the arrow above them on the main driving map/screen. The arrow is a compass (north up, west left, etc.). However, if you touch that little compass arrow when you're in 3D mode, you get switched to 2D north-up mode, and you can pan the screen, select a favorite, zoom up and down, or whatever else you would (in previous versions) have done by moving off the driving screen to the "View map", but more, and while you do so, your current position and route remain displayed. I rather like that - it's what I was mentioning above.

No doubt about it, there will be an adjustment period, but not all of the new layout is a bad thing -- some of it is actually helpful.

I have saved my email notification with your very helpful tips, I shall be trying it out over the next few days and using it for routing on Sunday. At first glance the screen display of the route seems crowded and not as clear as the old TT's. Also 'Tap and Go' does not seem too precise, more for a general area. The salesman was very excited about that feature as well as 3D.

I'll report back to you on how I find this device in programming and routing. I think I will leave the registration for map updates until I know a bit more about this Go500. I don't want to waste time if I'm not keeping this sat nav.

Thank you once again for your help and your interest.

I actually raised it as a negative item for persons not carrying a smart phone or those that will have to add a Data plan.

It is always good to inform manufacturers of your concerns. So far on the new Go500 I am finding it less impressive than I thought. The only thing impressing me so far is the volume but perhaps I need to give it more time.

Also 'Tap and Go' does not seem too precise, more for a general area.
That's one reason that I prefer a resistive screen (ala GO50, which AFAIK, is exactly the same as the 500 but with a resistive vs. capacitive touch panel) -- it allows me to use the closed tip of a pen or something similar to mark a position. It's a lot more precise than my fingertips. However, if you zoom up a bit (once you're shifted to 2D mode, you can do that, too) it becomes a lot easier. Again, that's part of the 'map centric' approach to the business that comes in handy sometimes.

However, if you zoom up a bit (once you're shifted to 2D mode, you can do that, too) it becomes a lot easier. Again, that's part of the 'map centric' approach to the business that comes in handy sometimes.
Zooming up large enough I find it excellent in accuracy.
That is from someone who curses a Nav3 coordinate input for constantly having to go back for corrections.
I find this part of the map centric approach the one outstanding item for Nav4 devices.

The ease of going to a place downtown without having the exact address. Been there before and remember the block where it was. Ready to drive in a minute.

I have bought another sat nav since I was last on here. I bought the Go500 because the volume was so good but I was not keep on the map display. Then when I tried to update the software my computer was showing a connection, the Go500 was not and neither was the TT website. I could try out all the features but was unable to update maps etc. I then bought the Via135 with lifetime maps but the volume was worse than my Go720. I tested it against the Go500 and it fell short especially on the volume and the speed of locating a GPS signal. I also found the integrated mount very fiddly and the location of the USB socket very awkward to use. I decided that the Go500 was probably as good as I would get and connected it again to my laptop to charge the battery. for return to Halfords for a replacement. To my surprise, it identified map updates straight away and spent a long time downloading them. I phoned Customer Services this morning to tell them what happened as they had given me a fault number previously when they also were unable to get it updating and they assured me I would not have any further problems with updates. The Via 135 has been returned and I now have to buy a few accessories off eBay so I can use the Go500 in the car.

I'm still unhappy with a 2 hour battery life as that will soon reduce with use. I don't see why you can not return to the 5 hour battery life of my Go720. I also do not see why I should have to go through a 93 page manual to find out the names of the many new thingy symbols in use. And lastly, what is the difference between My Places and My Routes. They both seem to serve the same purpose, or do they?

My Routes are itineraries you created and saved in a Nav 4 device. (Itineraries don't exist in Nav 3 models)

My Places are stuff like Recent destinations and your Home location as well as Favourites, I believe.

@phil
Just be SURE that you don't re-use any previously registered email address with your new unit. For whatever reason, TomTom ties unit accounts to email addresses, and re-use really messes things up. Don't use the email you've used for your 720, and with luck, you did not try to associate the 'short term' Via135 unit with an account at all.

My Routes are itineraries you created and saved in a Nav 4 device. (Itineraries don't exist in Nav 3 models)

My Places are stuff like Recent destinations and your Home location as well as Favourites, I believe.

I found Recent Destinations and Favourites worked just fine on my old Sat Nav but I'm sure I will get used to this one quite soon.

@phil
Just be SURE that you don't re-use any previously registered email address with your new unit. For whatever reason, TomTom ties unit accounts to email addresses, and re-use really messes things up. Don't use the email you've used for your 720, and with luck, you did not try to associate the 'short term' Via135 unit with an account at all.

Yes I kept my old 720 on the original TT account and set up a new account for the 500 with a different email address. TT Customer Services checked all I had done and were happy that I set the account up properly for the Go500. After trying a few features of the Via 135 I decided it would go back to Halfords so I did not set up an account for it. The 720 account was rarely used as map share did not seem to correct many of the map errors I encountered and the downloadable POI were often just titles with no details. I don't think I can add to the POI on the Go500 so shall have to rely on my new smartphone for that sort of detail. I hope it is easier to buy that the Sat Nav.

Ask a Question