Go720 maps now think I'm on a gravel road plus no more map updates for Go720?

I have a couple of perfectly functinal Go720 units that I've been perfectly happy with. I noticed after my last map update, it now thinks a lot of roads I travel on are gravel, roads that have been paved for well over a decade! I don't know if this is a map or firmware feature, but I never used to get the "your destination and/or route is on a gravel road, do you want to avoid?" messages. It's a minor annoyance, but annoyance just the same.

On another note, I also got a notice that no more updated maps are available for my 720's, which is a shame and I don't feel like forking out money for a new GPS when mine still works perfectly. I don't know why they do this, they are making money off of me for updates, the maps have no trouble fitting on my device with an SDHC card or if I just choose a smaller version etc.

Is it possible to put newer maps on these older units, even if they aren't officially available?

Thanks

Sorry but any discussion of maps other than through Tomtom is not appropriate for this forum.

I was not referring to 3rd party maps, but maps from Tomtom I could still purchase and still use on my device..

I have been subscribing for map updates since I purchases my 720.

Do you have a 4GB or an 8GB SDHC map?
My GO 930 is not EOL yet (it doesn't recognise microSD cards). Mine is only a 4GB card.

In your message from TT did they make a discount offer for buying a new device?
If not, connect to HOME to 'update', you may get an offer there.

Do you have a 4GB or an 8GB SDHC map?
My GO 930 is not EOL yet (it doesn't recognise microSD cards). Mine is only a 4GB card.

In your message from TT did they make a discount offer for buying a new device?
If not, connect to HOME to 'update', you may get an offer there.

Thanks - I don't recall getting an offer one a new device, just that I should go out and get one. I doubt I'll do that, both my new vehicles have built in nav but I still prefer my GO. That said I don't think I'll buy another Tomtom, but I may consider a Garmin with built in dashcam if they're any good.

I will have to check my map version & size, but I think it's on a 4GB sdhc card, or I may have even opted for the smaller canada only map.

I'll bring my device in and hook it up and see what comes up I guess.

My TomTom 720 is an EOL device and a TomTom home update prevented me from even updating the MapShare stuff and told me new maps were no longer available for my device. How I fixed this, I rolled back to TomTom home v2.10.2.750 and then before running TomTom Home I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul and opened the application.ini file and then find the following:
; This field specifies your application's version. This field is optional.
Version=2.10.2.750

And change the version number to something much higher, like Version=4.10.2.750 then save it and then load up TomTom Home. It wont update the TomTom Home app and you can again install and download updates and even istall maps again. Thats what worked for me and keeping my 720 going still.

This may be very good information for those who have EOL devices.
(My 930 is not and I am on 2.11.5.100 with HOME.)

From where do you fetch version 2.10.2.750, in case others would like to try the same?

Here is the official download from TomTom. Its the link I used. If anyone is having any issues I can post the file elsewhere also.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_10_2_750_win.exe

Hope that helps.

By changing the version number, it will no longer download the latest TomTom home, until for some reason the version number becomes higher that what you changed it too, but thats an easy fix, just change the version number again to something higher again. lol

Ask a Question