Go720 intermittent starting problems

TomTom Model(s)
GO500, GO 720 Mio? Geographers A-Z book
Hi

I have not used my Tom Tom Go720 regularly for some time and have had problems starting it despite it being on charge for 24 hours. Sometimes it starts ok, other times it only starts after a reset and today and evening it started once and I switched it off to connect to my laptop for updates and it would not start again. When it eventually starts, I check the battery level and that is at maximum or almost at maximum every time. What do you think is going on with it.

I am almost at the point of buying another Sat Nav as I can't rely on this starting when I really need it.

Once the 720 does show as charged, how long does the battery last before running out?

Once the 720 does show as charged, how long does the battery last before running out?
Hi, thanks for responding to me.

In the past year I never used it for more than an hour at a time. I did leave it switched on indoors a couple of months ago and it lasted over two hours. I'm kicking myself that I did not leave it on this evening.

Try a reset using the dedicated hole on the bottom of the device. Also, let it charge on the computer for about 4 hours........

I will try yet another reset with my paper-clip and leave it on charge overnight. I normally charge from the mains or the car socket and only connect to the Laptop when I'm checking for updates or as a last resort to get it to switch on. I will leave it connected to the laptop overnight and switch off the laptop screensaver and power saving.

Fingers crossed!

Well, I reset the device, charged it overnight, switched it on this morning and nothing happened. I reset it again, switched it on and it is still dead as a dodo.

Unless someone has some other solution then I'm afraid it's time to look for another Sat Nav.

This time I shall be looking for one with a much louder volume, better POI and one that does not need additional memory as soon as you start to update it. I don't wish to have 'live' subscriptions. Any suggestions?

Hi again

As my Go720 does not start after overnight charging and pressing the reset button should I now start looking for a replacement. Is there any point in looking at a battery replacement?

Tough call, Phil. It depends upon how attached you are to your existing unit. A 720 that refuses to power up and has the original battery .. well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time we've seen that.

The battery isn't all that expensive, and at worst, should consume about an hour of your time.

As to "much louder volume", you are aware that your 720 is one of the few units with a 1/8" audio out jack on the bottom and an internal FM modulator? If you do get it up and running again, we should discuss ways to use your vehicle's sound system to get you the volume you'd like to have.

As to "better POI", if you will install a 4GB SD card, you will be able to snag the larger 920 POI set (the 920 starts with 2X the memory, so the POI file is larger), and we have folks here who are kind enough to upload those pretty regularly when new maps are released.

Tough call, Phil. It depends upon how attached you are to your existing unit. A 720 that refuses to power up and has the original battery .. well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time we've seen that.

The battery isn't all that expensive, and at worst, should consume about an hour of your time.

As to "much louder volume", you are aware that your 720 is one of the few units with a 1/8" audio out jack on the bottom and an internal FM modulator? If you do get it up and running again, we should discuss ways to use your vehicle's sound system to get you the volume you'd like to have.

As to "better POI", if you will install a 4GB SD card, you will be able to snag the larger 920 POI set (the 920 starts with 2X the memory, so the POI file is larger), and we have folks here who are kind enough to upload those pretty regularly when new maps are released.
I'm more attached to my money than the device but I would buy another sat nav so I would be confident it worked when I needed it. I looked at the photos of the battery change on this site earlier and although it may be simple to some I would not feel confident spending an hour fiddling with electronics. I did track down the correct battery on Amazon and saw lots of comments on changing it and using a YouTube video to guide us through the process BUT if my device does not even start after a lengthy charge I wonder if there is any point in trying.

As to the speaker, I don't know about using my car sound system for my 720, I like to listen to the radio when travelling. Are you saying the Go720 audio output and volume is as good as it gets for a Tom Tom device. I prefer to just listen to the instructions and only check the map for previewing the route or if I'm totally lost. I think more than a brief glance at a sat nav is just as dangerous as hand holding a mobile phone. Also, the audio out jack may have been prodded by a paper-clip when I reset the device without wearing my specs. This was late last night before I set it on an overnight charge. Another reason why I should perhaps forget about changing the battery. I'm not very technically adept. I can change an electrical plug and fuse but that is the extent of my expertise.

Whilst I was waiting for a reply to this mornings post I checked out some consumer sites for sat nav reviews. I was surprised to see that a Smartphone TT app got awarded best buy status. What would I miss out on by going down that road instead of a dedicated sat nav device.

POI and Memory - shortly after buying my Go720 in 2008, I added a 4GB memory card but I was hacked off to have to do it so soon after buying it. I downloaded some POI but they were crap. I used a Mio sat nav in France for months before I bought my 720 and the POI were very comprehensive but I admit the constant rerouting got on my nerves. The volume was very good though.

Last edited:
Re the battery... if it has died totally, then it will be "pulling down" the internal voltages even if you try to power it with the car charger, SO that could well be the problem even if you've tried charging for a long time. TBH, I would expect the battery on a Go720 to be on it's last legs.

Swapping it over is pretty easy "electrically", the only tricky bits are mechanical really. i.e. getting the case open, removing the big flat cable to the screen, without breaking the latches on the connector and finally, getting the old battery out as it is held down with some pretty fierce glue that neds prying apart very gently.

Andy P

I read your mind. I ordered the replacement battery from Amazon about 30 minutes ago but I'm sure that after replacing it and closing the unit - if I get to that point - I will find some little screws and bits on the tray. I will have everything laid out on a tray so I don't lose anything. Perhaps I could pop round to see you if I get in trouble.

Don't worry, the last sentence was a joke.

Last edited:
Take it steady, the main thing to watch out for are those tiny latches on the ends of the ribbon-cable connector, They only need to be gently pried up or out about 1mm and they are quite easy to snap off.

Take it steady, the main thing to watch out for are those tiny latches on the ends of the ribbon-cable connector, They only need to be gently pried up or out about 1mm and they are quite easy to snap off.

I have nothing to lose except my genius and the £7 for the battery.

The photos are pretty bad and are the ones I saw earlier today. I can't see where or how the cable is connected or what it's connected to, I just hope YouTube videos are clearer. I have almost a week to find the best 'how to' video. I have ordered from an Amazon seller with 46 positive and helpful reviews of the battery and how to change it, including a tip about softening the glue holding the old battery in position, with a hairdryer, brute force unnecessary.

Thank you and Andy P for your help so far.

Ah well .. did what I could with the camera that I had.

The style of cable used to connect the touch screen to the main board is known as a 'flex cable', and just slides into a very narrow slot in the connector. The little tan levers on each end of the connector are lifted ever so slightly (15 degrees will do it) to release the tension on the cable so that it can be pulled out of the slot. Once you get the unit open, it will be evident where the cable actually goes.

If you look at the Utube video by power99 for that model, you'll see the demonstrator is able to flip the two parts of the device without having to release the cable at all. That's how I did it when I changed the battery on my 720.

Ah well .. did what I could with the camera that I had.

The style of cable used to connect the touch screen to the main board is known as a 'flex cable', and just slides into a very narrow slot in the connector. The little tan levers on each end of the connector are lifted ever so slightly (15 degrees will do it) to release the tension on the cable so that it can be pulled out of the slot. Once you get the unit open, it will be evident where the cable actually goes.

Sorry if I wounded your photographer or camera pride but you will be pleased to know that I have a very red face. I was ok with the photos until I reached the ones of the opened device and I was then lost. The text was good though.

If you look at the Utube video by power99 for that model, you'll see the demonstrator is able to flip the two parts of the device without having to release the cable at all. That's how I did it when I changed the battery on my 720.

Thanks for the tip. When I receive the battery and screwdriver set, get the device open, it may all make sense.

Problem was in not having a decent macro lens, though I must say, they're not ALL blurry! :D

Yes, I think it will be much clearer once you've seen how it looks up close and in person.

I've seen it suggested that the outer wrapper (and ONLY the outer wrapper) of the battery be cut away, and the pack removed from the outer wrap, rather than attempting to fully remove the pack from the board. I tried that yesterday, and with a bit of trimming, must say that it's a workable option to trying to pull these things off the board. It's a REALLY aggressive adhesive they use. However, one needs to be VERY careful to keep an XActo or similar WELL away from the cells in the process, which isn't as easy. Whatever you do, do NOT puncture any of the cells!

Then I did my usual deed with a blob of RTV (silicone seal) to attach the new battery to the old wrapper bottom and I think it will hold nicely. Be sure to let the RTV dry overnight before assembling if you choose to use that as your adhesive. Lets the acetic acid dissipate.

Ask a Question