Go720 intermittent starting problems

Problem was in not having a decent macro lens, though I must say, they're not ALL blurry! :D

Yes, I think it will be much clearer once you've seen how it looks up close and in person.

I've seen it suggested that the outer wrapper (and ONLY the outer wrapper) of the battery be cut away, and the pack removed from the outer wrap, rather than attempting to fully remove the pack from the board. I tried that yesterday, and with a bit of trimming, must say that it's a workable option to trying to pull these things off the board. It's a REALLY aggressive adhesive they use. However, one needs to be VERY careful to keep an XActo or similar WELL away from the cells in the process, which isn't as easy. Whatever you do, do NOT puncture any of the cells!

Then I did my usual deed with a blob of RTV (silicone seal) to attach the new battery to the old wrapper bottom and I think it will hold nicely. Be sure to let the RTV dry overnight before assembling if you choose to use that as your adhesive. Lets the acetic acid dissipate.

Canderson

I'm paying seven pounds for the battery, if I mess up the replacement it may well be the cheapest hours entertainment I get this century. The reviewers on Amazon seem to agree the most difficult parts of the operation are opening up the case and then prising out the old battery. It sounds as if we're discussing intricate surgery, not replacing a battery in a device. The battery should be fitted in a way that can be changed easily but I suppose that would reduce TT sales. Are other sat nav batteries as difficult to replace?

Thank you for not snubbing me over the photos quality. In my view, the macro function plus good lighting is a must for close up photos.

I found that when you remove the 2 screws from the back of the device, if you slowly push a slim steel device like a knitting needle or small screwdriver in the hole where the screw was removed from and carefully apply pressure, it helps to split the two sections of the casing apart.

Other say strong finger nails will do the job. Guess I don't have them .......

I found that when you remove the 2 screws from the back of the device, if you slowly push a slim steel device like a knitting needle or small screwdriver in the hole where the screw was removed from and carefully apply pressure, it helps to split the two sections of the casing apart.

Other say strong finger nails will do the job. Guess I don't have them .......
I shall not risk my french manicure on it. Thanks for the tip on separation of the two sections. I fear I may fail at the first hurdle. Have you replaced a battery in many sat nav devices and if so, which has been the easiest task?

No, the 720 was the only one I replaced the battery for. But others here have more experience. Another tip. The various screws are really small. Don't lose track of them and where they go.

... the most difficult parts of the operation are opening up the case and then prising out the old battery. It sounds as if we're discussing intricate surgery, not replacing a battery in a device. The battery should be fitted in a way that can be changed easily but I suppose that would reduce TT sales. Are other sat nav batteries as difficult to replace?
Opening up the case isn't hard at all. I didn't like trying to pry the top loose with fingernails or a knife, either, and found what I think was a less painful option.

As I think (been a while) I noted in my instructions, once you have the two screws out of the top rear of the case, you can use the same tool you used to remove the screws (my battery supplier included the little torx screwdriver for this) to push on through the hole (you won't damage the threads) to push the unit free of the rear case. Just press firmly on each side a bit at a time, and it should come free. The bottom is just held in with plastic tab/groove, no screws.

If your torx driver has too big a shaft, find something else (a drill bit, perhaps) that's the size of the hole in the case for the pushing job.

No, the 720 was the only one I replaced the battery for. But others here have more experience. Another tip. The various screws are really small. Don't lose track of them and where they go.
The good news is that there are only two sets of screws to worry about. 2X holding the case together, and 4X holding the board down. So no problem about where they go, but they DO jump around and disappear onto the floor easily.

It also help when you have a wife with:
1. Better eyes
2. A steadier hand

than I do! ;)

You clearly don't want to approach this project anywhere near a shag carpet (does anyone still have shag carpets?) without a nice, strong magnet available for the search party.:p

Well I have the jump on you all, as I stated earlier on, I plan to use a tray to catch all the bits and pieces so none on my non shag pile carpet or between the floorboards. I will also use a non slip mat in the tray to hold the device in place whilst this intricate operation proceeds and I have dug out a tweezers to help with gripping small screws. All I'm missing is the battery and the know how. I'm sure the battery will turn up in a few days, not sure about the know how.

I don't think I have a magnet! Yes, I have. It's part of my paper clip holder. Best leave the paper clips alone as I may have already damaged my Go720 by pressing too far in resetting the device.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with above suggestions about unwraping the old battery...

If you struggle getting the glue to release and resort to brute force, like levering the battery with a screwdriver, then its very easy to end up damaging one of the tiny components on the edge of the circuit board.
(don't ask me how I know this! :oops::p)

I finally got around to exchanging the battery in my TT Go720 and the device still wont start. The operation went quite smoothly but the patient died despite all attempts to revive it.

I now plan to get a new device and hope some of you multi device owners will recommend some new devices for me. I'm looking at the Via 135m as I can buy it with lifetime maps for £130. I loved the Go720 but never used Traffic as most of my driving is in traffic. Does the 135m have advanced lane warning as that would be really useful in city traffic. I do not wish to pay over £150 so please bear that in mind if you are recommending a device.

Did you try charging the new battery for a couple of hours? Does it turn on if connected to a ciggy lighter? Have you tried a pin reset on the bottom?

I charged it for about three hours, then over 24 hours, turned it on and nothing happened. Then I started checking out a replacement and posted on here. Tonight I remembered that I had removed the SD card from the device before I planned on starting the operation several weeks ago. After I eventually changed the battery, I forgot about the SD card until this evening. When I popped the card in and turned it on it was working and is still working over three hours later. So the battery is ok and lasting. The only thing I noticed is the time is showing + 1 hour and I can't see where to change it. It may change when I have a full GPS signal.

All the advise about changing the battery was really useful, as was the youtube video and the only problems encountered was in opening the device, the plastic double ended plastic tool broke and I used a knife to separate it. I also used the hairdryer to loosen the adhesive. I had slight difficulty with the little plugs that held the two parts together but it only took ten minutes all told. So a worthwhile effort which means I have the sat nav I like working again for about £7.

If I was buying a new Tom Tom. I would only have a 2/3 hour battery life, which I find unacceptable on a new device. I like to visit a new city, find parking and look around for a few hours, using my sat nav to find places I wish to visit. I then use my sat nav to find my way back to my car and a short battery life is useless. The battery should be easy to change and accessible as soon as you open the device. I was having palpations in case I damaged the motherboard so was not surprised when it did not work after the 2 hour charge. It all turned out ok in the end.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it should pick up the correct time if you get out a bit.
In the meantime you can go to Change preferences, screen 8 of 8. Set clock, select type of display, then set current time and Done.

Thanks Arno, I'll try that tomorrow.

Does Tom Tom ever survey it's customers on what they want in a sat nav. I wondered this when I was researching a new sat nav. I don't understand why the battery life on new devices is so short and why batteries can't be changed as easily as on a mobile phone. I'm sure many have ended up in landfill for want of a new battery. Why is the volume not louder, I struggle to hear it when I have passengers. What happens if the integrated mount breaks.

@phil
The standard use model for an automotive GPS allows for only very occasional use without external power. You'll find that to be true of any of them. The only units that really provide significant life for handheld use (and are, by the way, a heck of a lot easier to hold!) are .. handhelds. If you check my sig line, you'll see that I'm not as schizophrenic in my GPS choices as it first appears. All of my automotive units are TomTom's, but there are a number of handheld Garmin units in my stable as well. Both do well at their primary jobs, and really pretty lousy at the other! It's as much as anything a matter of form factor, and the battery life (and ease of replacement) just follows along from that.

I don't think your Garmin devices are available here but if their primary use is rural rambling then I would not have considered them.

A number of people I know use their smartphone maps instead of a dedicated sat nav device. Perhaps I should go down that route for my city wanderings. I like the accuracy of my Tom Tom and the fact that I don't leave it in the car but use it for navigating reduces the risk of theft from my car.

@phil
Yes, all of my Garmin devices either were (two old) or are (one mid, one new) not only available in the UK, but are also quite popular there. They're not just for 'rural rambling'. You can just as easily load fully routable street maps on them, though I usually use maps from an outfit called Open Street Maps (OSM) for that.

Smart phone is certainly a viable pedestrian alternative, though it does suck down battery pretty quickly with the GPS running and the screen lit up all the time. It's nothing to get 8 hours out of purpose-built handheld GPS. I drive with the TomTom, and if planned, take the Garmin for the walk If I don't have the Garmin handy, then I use the TomTom application on my Android phone. Downside: TomTom doesn't do walking paths, trails, or other exclusively pedestrian routes either in town or out. OSM does.

I was too smug too soon. I'm afraid. I decided to update my Go720 this evening, opened TomTom Home which downloaded updated software and then connected my 720, switched it on and nothing happened. It was as dead as a dodo. I reset it a few times and it eventually switched on for two seconds before it died again. I have tried resetting a few more times but can't get it to switch on again. I had it plugged into mains since I last had it working so the battery should be just fine. Any other ideas about this or should I just buy a cheap device or a Tom Tom app for my new smartphone.

Something odd in that sequence. Home downloaded new software for itself, I assume, and not the unit? Without the unit connected, it would not know if the device firmware needed to be updated.

Anyway, the fact that it switched on for 2 seconds before dying again indicates that either it's not getting a decent charge from your mains adapter, or the battery refuses to hold a charge, or one of the components on the main board responsible for charging the unit is toast (one diode in particular often goes poof). Try using the PC to charge just to be sure it isn't an issue with the mains charger you are using.

Ask a Question