go 720 maps 1.9/1.7 GB

Does anyone know what the crpoi.dat file is? Do you need to copy that one over too?

If you replace your poi.dat file without replacing the crpoi.dat file, the details tab on the poi will give you funky addresses. So you have to replace both poi.dat and crpoi.dat for the poi's and corresponding addresses to work correctly.

If you replace your poi.dat file without replacing the crpoi.dat file, the details tab on the poi will give you funky addresses. So you have to replace both poi.dat and crpoi.dat for the poi's and corresponding addresses to work correctly.

Thanks for that info, I didn't know that. I'm gonna add that file over now as well.

So if in theory I have both a 720 and 920, I should be able to copy the poi.dat and crpoi.dat from the 920 to the 720 (assuming it fits), and now the 720 will have everything the 920 has in terms of POI? And that is where the only difference lies (i.e. no map differences)?

Which brings up another question - is it possible to put the full 1.9 gig on a 2 gig SD card, and leave any other files on the 2 gig internal? or is a 4 gig SD card better?

Also it sounds to me like 710.1584 is the latest for 720, and 710.1609 is the latest for 920, with the only difference being POI.

I am planning on getting both sets of files (720 & 920), and doing a file compare, and will post the results here.

NA 710.1609 POI Files

I tried to get TT to let me have the 1609 map... it was a wash.
I'm convinced those tech fools are either being fed bs to pass along
or they really have no clue what they are talking about.
The tech person told me the only difference between a 1584 map and the
1609 map was that the 1609 showed a greater detail of waterways and that
everything else was exactly the same.
When i asked why the POI files were almost 300mb bigger in the 1609 map I
was told I was mistaken and that both maps have exactly the same amount of
POIs.... which we know is incorrect ;)
What a blithering idiot, they should be ashamed to know so little about their own product.
I guess I'll be sticking with my 1584 map that I replaced the POI's in from the
larger 1609 map. If anyone else would like the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files from
the larger 1609 file I've uploaded them in a WinRar file to Megaupload so other folks
can have access to them since customer service is so ignorant.
You can download them HERE
Just type in the 3 letters it asks for and wait the 45 seconds for the free download and enjoy. :D
Hope posting this isn't against any forum rules, if it is then please delete this
post.

I tried to get TT to let me have the 1609 map... it was a wash.
I'm convinced those tech fools are either being fed bs to pass along
or they really have no clue what they are talking about.
The tech person told me the only difference between a 1584 map and the
1609 map was that the 1609 showed a greater detail of waterways and that
everything else was exactly the same.
When i asked why the POI files were almost 300mb bigger in the 1609 map I
was told I was mistaken and that both maps have exactly the same amount of
POIs.... which we know is incorrect ;)
What a blithering idiot, they should be ashamed to know so little about their own product.
I guess I'll be sticking with my 1584 map that I replaced the POI's in from the
larger 1609 map. If anyone else would like the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files from
the larger 1609 file I've uploaded them in a WinRar file to Megaupload so other folks
can have access to them since customer service is so ignorant.
You can download them HERE
Just type in the 3 letters it asks for and wait the 45 seconds for the free download and enjoy. :D
Hope posting this isn't against any forum rules, if it is then please delete this
post.

I ended up just getting all the updates, voice recognition, and then transferred it all to a 4 gig SD card, where I then added the 2 larger POI files from the 1609 version (for 920), and I am now good to go.

New Maps

I spoke with TT support yesterday inquiring about the 7.1 map. I was told that TT will be releasing a new map within the next month!!

Are there significantly more POIs?

Are there significantly more North American POI's in the 920 vs the 720? Also, after I download the 920's POI file that was posted it probably won't fit on my 720 with the current 710 maps installed. If I were to put these new POI files on an SD card will the 720 seamlessly go to the SD card to pick up those POI files? Any config changes required to get the 720 to pick these off of the SD card? Do I have to delete the old ones (or rename them) that are currently on my 720? Would appreciate advice on making this an incident free modification.

Jack Weintraub

Are there significantly more North American POI's in the 920 vs the 720? Also, after I download the 920's POI file that was posted it probably won't fit on my 720 with the current 710 maps installed. If I were to put these new POI files on an SD card will the 720 seamlessly go to the SD card to pick up those POI files? Any config changes required to get the 720 to pick these off of the SD card? Do I have to delete the old ones (or rename them) that are currently on my 720? Would appreciate advice on making this an incident free modification.

Jack Weintraub

The .dat files need to reside in the same folder as the map. So, with a 720, yo can put the map & poi's on the sd card and still leave the operating system files, etc. on internal memory

Performance hit when putting maps on SD

If I put my maps and these 920 POI files on an SD card wouldn't my 720's response time slow down significantly having to go out to the card to update my position, recalc my routes, etc. ? It wouldn't be as responsive as having everything resident inside the 720's memory would it?

Jack Weintraub

If I put my maps and these 920 POI files on an SD card wouldn't my 720's response time slow down significantly having to go out to the card to update my position, recalc my routes, etc. ? It wouldn't be as responsive as having everything resident inside the 720's memory would it?

Jack Weintraub

The internal memory you refer to is not RAM but ?flash? type of memory and TT does not necessarily use the top performance internal memory. It is quite probable the SD card you get has better performance than what is used for internal memory. As for the POIs, you need to know the way those files are constructed. It contains the longitude and latitude coordinates, most of the rest of the information is more like a comment for your tt and the record belongs to a category. Working with coordinates is much faster than going by street name, number, city, state/province, country and having to translate all this to a spot on the map. The coordinates simply point to a spot on the map that is distance x from where you are.

Jack Weintraub

Which is why the suggestion when buying a card is always to get one with fast reads/writes.

Recommended 4GB SD Cards

And the 4GB SD Card with the fastest read/write speeds and the fewest compatibility issues is ???.....

Will I have to cut and paste my map directory from the 720 onto the card and then overlay the 920 poi files? Any other config change required for the device to look for these items on the SD card instead?

And the 4GB SD Card with the fastest read/write speeds and the fewest compatibility issues is ???.....

Will I have to cut and paste my map directory from the 720 onto the card and then overlay the 920 poi files? Any other config change required for the device to look for these items on the SD card instead?

I got all my updates to the 720's internal memory.

Copied the all files and folders from the internal memory to the SD Card.

Replaced the 2 crpoi.dat and poi.dat files on the 720 with the 920 files.

After making a backup of the 720 internal memory to hard drive, I then removed all files from the internal memory (just to be sure it was running strictly from the SD card).

All is good, and everything seems fast.

Bought the SD Card - Worked like a charm

Yesterday, I purchased a Kingston 4GB SDHC (Class 4) card for $30 from Best Buy. Backed up my 720 first. Renamed my existing POI and CRPOI files. Copied the 920 versions to the backup map directory. I then installed the card in the 720, copied the map directory (using Windows Explorer) from the backup to the new card. I deleted the map directory on the 720's internal memory. Everything works like a charm. Thanks for the guidance. Have all of the 920's North American POI's and response time, with my maps on the SD Card, is decent.

Jack Weintraub

Downloaded POI's from MegaVideo

OK -- Now I have downloaded the larger POI file from MegaVideo -- so now, how can I have a look-see to see if I want to download it to my TT 720 or how do I do a download to the 720?
And are there that many different POI's to begin with?
Thanks for any help

Kathy

OK -- Now I have downloaded the larger POI file from MegaVideo -- so now, how can I have a look-see to see if I want to download it to my TT 720 or how do I do a download to the 720?
And are there that many different POI's to begin with?
Thanks for any help

Kathy

If you are talking about a poi.dat and a crpoi.dat file, you copy them to the map folder, example the North America folder. Use Windows Explorer to perform the task.

Please us updated as to how your TT continues to work with the SD card. I am looking at doing the same with my TT 720.

Created a backup; copied NA-2G map from my 720 to SD card; deleted NA map from internal memory; replaced crpoi.dat and poi.dat files on SD card... works flawlessly.

I haven't taken my TT for a spin yet, but start up and/or shot down works fine (no problems); all POI off 920 are on my 720 (there's a ton of extras) and sat signal works fine as well.

All in all - no problems. However, make sure YOU create a backup.

Holy mother of God did they screw the 720 buyers on POIs! This is just ridiculous.

I replaced the POI.dat file but not the cpoi.dat file (not enough space). Looks like I need to go get a 4Gb card for my 720 and move the map on there to get the full 920 POI setup.

Ask a Question