go 720 maps 1.9/1.7 GB

Hi folks,

I'm slowly getting this thing working, as it's for my wife to get around town.

I have map version 710.1584 loaded and it works with the voice. I'm wondering, if I figure a way to load the latest map into the system (so it fits and I don't have to delete everything else), if the voice feature which I heroically got working through this website, will keep working (voice recognition).

My other features are working fine---blue tooth with an I-Mate Jam, music.

I have yet to test the FM transmitter.......next hurdle.

Regards from North Eastern USA

Last edited by a moderator:
asbaker,
you can check for the map upgrades any number of times within 30 days.
I am not sure about the size issue. Supposedly, tomtom is working up on their maps and their products, so you may expect some changes soon.

ted,
congratulations with your new toy! hope you have a great time with it.

well I just got my 720 on friday after my bday. I had 705.14 so its downloading the newest one right now (the 1.7GB ver, not the 1.9). Im just more interested in seeing if it would stop putting me off the road through the mountains. lol.

Hi folks,
I wanna get the latest map guarantee to do what it is supposed to do i.e get the latest map possible (710.1609) during my remaining 10 days. But they are giving me a hard time.

I'm on the phone with TT CS and about to talk to a supervisor about the "map discrimination." Why would some 720 users get the 710.1584 when others get the 710.1609 ? And they pretend to offer the latest map guarantee ! They'd rather call it the cheapest map guarantee ! Yesterday, one of the agent told me that we have to correct the map. When they would have many discrepancies, they will correct it and make it available to the customer. At the question on whether or not thoses updates would be free of charge, she told me they would charge the customer for. So, we are all working in our communities to update the map and would pay later to get the final result. ):
Good for us hmmm !

Please sam, would you check if you can find my adress 443xx sunmist court, CA on your 720 unit ( with 7xx.1609) ?

Last edited:
Possible difference in 710 maps

Today I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Connie, a TT CSR. She said the 1.7GB and 1.9 GB versions of the 710 map of North America were the same, except that the larger version has waterways, which I assume means rivers and lakes.

Wish I'd thought to ask her if the North_America_2GB v 710.1584 was the 1.7 GB map and if the N_A_2GB v 710.1609 was the 1.9 GB map. (Does anyone know if that's the difference?)

Until yesterday my GO720 had N_A_2GB v710.1584, which was 1224.8 MB and allowed text-to-speech and voice recognition - which worked perfectly, 100% of the time. Then something got fouled up and I wound up with map v705, inaccurate text-to-speech and no VR.

Go figure!

Hi folks,
I wanna get the latest map guarantee to do what it is supposed to do i.e get the latest map possible (710.1609) during my remaining 10 days. But they are giving me a hard time.

I'm on the phone with TT CS and about to talk to a supervisor about the "map discrimination." Why would some 720 users get the 710.1584 when others get the 710.1609 ? And they pretend to offer the latest map guarantee ! They'd rather call it the cheapest map guarantee ! Yesterday, one of the agent told me that we have to correct the map. When they would have many discrepancies, they will correct it and make it available to the customer. At the question on whether or not thoses updates would be free of charge, she told me they would charge the customer for. So, we are all working in our communities to update the map and would pay later to get the final result. ):
Good for us hmmm !

Please sam, would you check if you can find my adress 44319 sunmist court, lancaster, California 93535 on your 720 unit ( with 7xx.1609) ?

No, your address does not appear on either version. [Confirmed using both versions]

Don't get all hung up on tomtom's version numbers. I've been using their software for many years [PPC's & now PND's] Seldom will the average consumer see any [many] differences in upgraded versions. Versions will often include newer updated maps but also the compression will vary. You can't judge a map by its size alone. Same thing, you can't judge a new map set just because of it's file name [number] alone. It does get confusing, but i've learned all this through at least 20+ upgrades.

Also, no mapping sofware is perfect. It's pretty darn close.....but far from 100% perfect. Compared to other map sets i've used, tomtom's reliability is as good as anything else out there. You deffinatly got to have some patience as improvements are always in the works.

Hopefully, MapShare will actually become a usefull tool that will keep us all updated. In your case,since your address is messed up, you'd want to do repair and share the info. Too early to say how it's all gonna work out, but it's a start in the right direction.

GO 720 [710.1584] -TomTom ONE [710.1609] - Dell Axim x51v [710.1583] - Dell Axim x50 [710.1575]

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Good for us hmmm !

Please sam, would you check if you can find my adress 44319 sunmist court, lancaster, California 93535 on your 720 unit ( with 7xx.1609) ?

Try finding the E Avenue R# type addresses! Not a good idea to post your address in here...your very close to me, 30th & Ave R

It sounds really reassuring to know that my map is not the problem ! Thank you.
I made a map correction and I believe it has been sent through mapshare to tomtom. Now I hope at least that I would be able to get that update back before my "free days" are over :)
Moreover, I spent almost an hour and half on the phone first w/ Connie, then Michele, Amanda, Alfred and finaly their supervisor (tech 2) April. April stated that by no way, the 710.1609 map would work on the TT720 even with a reduce size. According to her, they are not compatible. A SUPERVISOR/TECH 2 is stating w/ 100% degree of confidence, that they are NOT compatible ! (TT 720 and 710.1609 map) :D It simply mean that either her or you ,who have had that working, is more knowledgeable of how it works and the other need a serious technical training.
At first, she said that she is 100% sure it doesn't work. Then when I had her read this thread, she told me that putting 710.1609 on TT720 is voiding the warranty on the unit. Personally, I tend to believe TT CS need a serious improvement on how to approach customers.
So, those who have the 710.1609 on their GO 720, please check with TT to make sure that your warranty is not void, unless you don't really need it.

I'll give myself 2 months to evaluate the unit and see whether I would keep it or not. I learnt many things from you guys. Thanks again.
Have a really nice day and happy hollidays.

Then when I had her read this thread, she told me that putting 710.1609 on TT720 is voiding the warranty on the unit. Personally, I tend to believe TT CS need a serious improvement on how to approach customers.

I'll give myself 2 months to evaluate the unit and see whether I would keep it or not. I learnt many things from you guys. Thanks again.
Have a really nice day and happy hollidays.

That's a funny one. There's many things you can do working within the TT file structure. Thats a good thing and deffinatly a positive feature for us owners. Even if there was 1% of truth to her statement, one could SIMPLY replace all files with a backup of original SW.

Enjoy your 720. Learn from those that have spent alot of time messin' with the software. I got my start using TT on a PPC and feel that most deffinatly gave me an advantage once I purchased the TT PND. I beleieve information you'll recieve here and elsewhere will become alot more usefull to you in the long run.

I do agree the CS experience could be better -BUT- i've never spoken to a friendlier bunch of folks......[really nice people]

You go have yourself a good Holiday

I can now confirm the difference in the maps. Before I bought my 720 I had a 910. One of the last things I did with the 910 was get the 7.10.1609 maps. These are the same maps that would work on the 920. When I got the 720 and then did the latest maps update, I got the standard 7.10 maps for the 720. One of the first things I noticed about the 720 was that it seemed to have many less shop POIs. Well I can now say that the only difference in the maps is that the 720 has many less POIs. It's missing some all together like Churches. The size of the shops POI file on the 720 maos is 1/10 the size of the file on the 9x0 maps.

To my knowledge there is no difference from one set of maps to another with respect to them not working. It's all a matter of getting them to fit. So the TT CS Rep is very wrong about them not working.

There has been a lot of talk that the 720 was "rushed" out. It's very apparent that this might be the case since there was not much care taken in releasing the 7.10 maps for it. There is plenty of space left to increase the size of the POI file and still stay within the 2 GB limit. I hope this is fixed in the next release of the maps. The Huge lack of POIs is terrible.

Does anyone know if its possible to just get a hold of the larger POI database file that comes on the 920? So it can just be swapped with the current smaller file on the 720.

Does anyone know what the crpoi.dat file is? Do you need to copy that one over too?

I suspect it contains poi's that one can dl for free from tomtom.com and which are not included in the master poi.dat file that initially is installed.

This is great reading here on the 720. I am ordering one today and have read so may things about the 158 file version map then heard aboput the 160 version and could not make heads or tails about the differences.

This is what makes this forum the best TT user forum :)

Any updates anybody wants to toss in

I have map 710.1584 and I copied over the POI file and the crpoi.datfrom a copy of a
710.1609 map I ..... ummm found online :D The file size difference is almost
200mb for the poi and 105mb for teh crpoi. It seems to be working fine, no issues noticed at all and I have a whole
lot more POI's.

Last edited:
This is great reading here on the 720. I am ordering one today and have read so may things about the 158 file version map then heard aboput the 160 version and could not make heads or tails about the differences.

This is what makes this forum the best TT user forum :)

Any updates anybody wants to toss in

The ONLY difference in the maps is the POI file. In order to fit the maps on 2 GB internal memory was to slim down the info in the POI file. For instance, there are next to no shop pois in the 720 (equals about 1 MB of data). The 920 has over 100 MB of shop poi data.

Ask a Question