go 720 maps 1.9/1.7 GB

1609 poi

I tried to get TT to let me have the 1609 map... it was a wash.
I'm convinced those tech fools are either being fed bs to pass along
or they really have no clue what they are talking about.
The tech person told me the only difference between a 1584 map and the
1609 map was that the 1609 showed a greater detail of waterways and that
everything else was exactly the same.
When i asked why the POI files were almost 300mb bigger in the 1609 map I
was told I was mistaken and that both maps have exactly the same amount of
POIs.... which we know is incorrect ;)
What a blithering idiot, they should be ashamed to know so little about their own product.
I guess I'll be sticking with my 1584 map that I replaced the POI's in from the
larger 1609 map. If anyone else would like the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files from
the larger 1609 file I've uploaded them in a WinRar file to Megaupload so other folks
can have access to them since customer service is so ignorant.
You can download them HERE
Just type in the 3 letters it asks for and wait the 45 seconds for the free download and enjoy. :D
Hope posting this isn't against any forum rules, if it is then please delete this
post.

I keep trying to download the 1609 poi from the link above but keep getting timed out. I have a high speed and never had any trouble like this before. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on these files? :confused:

POI's great!

Just wanted to thank everyone who contibuted on this thread. I now have replaced the 720's poi's with the 920's poi's. What a big difference. I am as happy as I can get with the current poi situation. I now wish they would catogorize them like Garmin and show unlimited instead of only 24.

That being said, I think tomtom has a way to go before (hate to speak for most people, but from what I've read...) most are happy with the poi configuration. They could take some lessons from their competition in this area.

I also wonder if TT ever planned to have the 720 more poi populated. They did not leave enough internal memory to ever put any sort of upgrade out that will fix the poi situation in the 720. I cannot think of any other GPS manufacture that sells their product under the pretense that the poi's are as populated as others they sell. This does leave me a bit disapointed.

Still happy with the unit, quality, routing, the ability to customize...

I keep trying to download the 1609 poi from the link above but keep getting timed out. I have a high speed and never had any trouble like this before. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on these files? :confused:

I just checked the link and it's still valid, I'm not sure why it's timing out for you :confused:
What exactly is timing out? the page? the download itself?

To everyone else - glad you all are gettin good use of the files, happy to help where I can.

Enjoy

I just checked the link and it's still valid, I'm not sure why it's timing out for you :confused:
What exactly is timing out? the page? the download itself?

To everyone else - glad you all are gettin good use of the files, happy to help where I can.

Enjoy

Maybe I spoke too soon, the d/l is queued now. Thanks!

I just got a 4GB SDHC card, *crosses fingers.

Nice, I just copied all data to a 4GB HCSD card (Sandisk) and added the 920 POIs. Works beautifully.

There really are a ton more POIs for the 920.

920 POs for the 720 on version 7.15

These files were taken directly from Map version 710.1609

i have map v715.1712 on my 720

would it be foolish (or a backwards step) to put these POIs on my unit?

Last edited:
i have map v715.1712 on my 720

would it be foolish (or a backwards step) to put these POIs on my unit?

Not at all, the POI files in the new v715.1712 map for the 720 are still much smaller
then ones from the older v710.1609 map. I use them with the new v715 maps just fine.

Last edited:
map on SD card?

since adding those POIs will overflow my internal memory, i will copy the North America maps so my SDHC card.

can i copy over only the maps, or do i need to put everything on the SD card and leave the internal memory empty?

or....should i copy everything to the SD card and just select it as the device/drive to use with TTHome?

it is a fast card (level 6) if that makes any difference....

since adding those POIs will overflow my internal memory, i will copy the North America maps so my SDHC card.

can i copy over only the maps, or do i need to put everything on the SD card and leave the internal memory empty?

or....should i copy everything to the SD card and just select it as the device/drive to use with TTHome?

it is a fast card (level 6) if that makes any difference....

One of the nice things about the x20 series is its ability to use sd card memory **in addition to** core. So, the choice is yours. You can just put the map(s) on the card. Your unit will find them.

maps on card AND core?

One of the nice things about the x20 series is its ability to use sd card memory **in addition to** core. So, the choice is yours. You can just put the map(s) on the card. Your unit will find them.

so can i have the maps in both places, or do i just have to choose one, and let the unit figure it out?

so can i have the maps in both places, or do i just have to choose one, and let the unit figure it out?

You can have 1 map in internal memory and the other on the card and then use the 'manage maps' icon to switch between the two. To be clear, you don't need or want the SAME map in both places.

trouble copying the map

parts of the map do not want to copy - either from the device or from the backup area (see attached images).

they don't seem to be locked.

any thoughts?

Attachments

• copy-error-1.jpg
    copy-error-1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 324
  • copy-error-2.jpg
    copy-error-2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 287
  • copy-error-3.jpg
    copy-error-3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 316
parts of the map do not want to copy - either from the device or from the backup area (see attached images).

they don't seem to be locked.

any thoughts?

Install the maps through TTHome onto your unit. Add maps/voices icon.

installing map on SD card via TTHome

Install the maps through TTHome onto your unit. Add maps/voices icon.

i switch the device to the SD card (which has plenty of room) and then try to install. (Device --> Change Device).

i get a "Disk full:/" message.

is there another way to direct it to install on "Memory Card"

do i need to delete the map on the "Internal Memory" first?

I have a suspicion that you may be running into a problem that users on PC's with a sd card > 4 gigs have and that is the 720's can read/write to the first 4 gigs but only read data from anything greater than that.

But, with a Mac, I just don't know what to tell you. The sd card should be formatted as fat 32 if a sdhc card for a pc, I know that.

You could try (using Finder) copying map A from internal to sd card. Then remove map A from the unit (don't delete it, just make sure it's backed up on your hd). Then, try TTHome to install map b from computer to internal on the unit.

See if that works. If not, maybe a call to TT Support or put out a call to other Mac users here for guidance.

which data file is that has the "title" of the map?

I have a suspicion that you may be running into a problem that users on PC's with a sd card > 4 gigs have and that is the 720's can read/write to the first 4 gigs but only read data from anything greater than that.

you are a genius.
that seems to have done it.
thank you.
kinda odd, as i was dumping from one USB device to the other.

so, now i have both versions of the map one on the SD, the other on the Internal Memory. The one on the SD card had the "improved" POIs.

i am going to keep both maps (for now) so i can compare.

the problem is that they both have the same name when i go into the tomtom to switch.

anyone know which data file has the "title" of the map in it?

Glad to help.

As far as your last question goes ..... I'm REALLY on thin ice here and now that you have things working reasonably well, I wouldn't screw around too much.

However :)

I know what you're asking and don't know whether it can be done BUT, you have a map folder named B (probably, in reality, North_America_2gb, but I digress..) In folder B, you also have a variety of file starting with the name B.

You could try to rename EVERY file AND the folder to something like 1-B, for example.

The result could be: no change in what you currently see or (worse) you lose access to the map as it is or (maybe, just maybe,) it'll work.

Do not change any names without BACKING UP THE ENTIRE MAP FOLDER FIRST!!

Ask a Question