go 720 maps 1.9/1.7 GB

Nice, I just copied all data to a 4GB HCSD card (Sandisk) and added the 920 POIs. Works beautifully.

There really are a ton more POIs for the 920.

I think 7.481 killed this. When you Navigate to...POI, it will just say One Moment Please.....
I placed back my original 720 POI and it works.:(

I think 7.481 killed this. When you Navigate to...POI, it will just say One Moment Please.....
I placed back my original 720 POI and it works.:(

As with the previous poster, mine works just fine with the NA map folder and 920 POI on a SD card.

On my XL-S I have the poi.dat file in the NA map folder but not the crpoi.dat file. Could it be called something else?

The XL-S USA and Canada map does not come with any crpoi.dat file. Only the GO x20 and x30 come with both the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files. The crpoi.dat file simply gives additional details to the poi.dat file.

I have tried to do the latest map guarantee with no luck. I have e-mail TomTom CS multiple time with no response. Any Ideas?

CurrentMap=North_America_2GB
CurrentMapVersion=705.1481 <--- Crap that is old

Thanks,
Mike
mike.basinger(at)gmail.com

I have tried to do the latest map guarantee with no luck. I have e-mail TomTom CS multiple time with no response. Any Ideas?

CurrentMap=North_America_2GB
CurrentMapVersion=705.1481 <--- Crap that is old

Thanks,
Mike
mike.basinger(at)gmail.com

Just make sure you have documentation that you tried to do it while in the 30 day window and it wouldn't let you. At least you know about the problem. When I tried to use the update it told me I had the latest map. After 30 days I realized that I in fact DID NOT have the latest and called TT and they were very rude and insisted that since I didn't do it in the 30 day window I couldn't update for free. I told the guy to check the date of the map release and that it fell within my period but dumb TT home said I had the latest and they didn't care.

I was scrolling through the thread here and was a little confused with the posts about overwriting the POIs of 720 with those of 920 maps. The link provided to d/l those has a size of 186 mb. I checked the poi files on my 720 (poi.dat and crpoi.dat) and their size is 195 mb!

I have the latest NA_2gb map...so I am not sure if the POI were updated here. I wonder if the new POI from 920 would still be larger.

I was scrolling through the thread here and was a little confused with the posts about overwriting the POIs of 720 with those of 920 maps. The link provided to d/l those has a size of 186 mb. I checked the poi files on my 720 (poi.dat and crpoi.dat) and their size is 195 mb!

I have the latest NA_2gb map...so I am not sure if the POI were updated here. I wonder if the new POI from 920 would still be larger.

You're looking at the compressed size of the .rar file, not the size of the poi and crpoi files. Together, they come to over 300 megs.

I tried to get TT to let me have the 1609 map... it was a wash.
I'm convinced those tech fools are either being fed bs to pass along
or they really have no clue what they are talking about.
The tech person told me the only difference between a 1584 map and the
1609 map was that the 1609 showed a greater detail of waterways and that
everything else was exactly the same.
When i asked why the POI files were almost 300mb bigger in the 1609 map I
was told I was mistaken and that both maps have exactly the same amount of
POIs.... which we know is incorrect ;)
What a blithering idiot, they should be ashamed to know so little about their own product.
I guess I'll be sticking with my 1584 map that I replaced the POI's in from the
larger 1609 map. If anyone else would like the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files from
the larger 1609 file I've uploaded them in a WinRar file to Megaupload so other folks
can have access to them since customer service is so ignorant.
You can download them HERE
Just type in the 3 letters it asks for and wait the 45 seconds for the free download and enjoy. :D
Hope posting this isn't against any forum rules, if it is then please delete this
post.

I bought a 4Gb SDHC card and formatted it to fat32. I changed my M$ Windows Explorer folder options to "Show hidden files and folders" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system files".

Obviously, as always recommended on here, I made a backup for my TT 720 onto my hard drive. That said, I moved everything from the internal memory to the SD card and added both of the POI files I downloaded from the link.

Everything works great as far as the unit and POIs go, but now I lost the capability of changing the car icon.

It is grayed out as shown: http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2302/tomtom1cg8.jpg

I tried moving the "Art" folder which contained the "Cars" folder to internal memory to see if that mattered but it didn't. I also restarted the TT and even did a paper clip reset but that didn't help either. Anybody else have that problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

No! No......

That icon is not the one you want for changing the icon for the car. That icon you have a photo for is greyed out on EVERY unit. The functionality behind it has never been implemented by TomTom (supposedly has something to do with hard wired units).

The icon you want for changing car icons is Change Preferences-->Change car symbol (page 3).

No! No......

That icon is not the one you want for changing the icon for the car. That icon you have a photo for is greyed out on EVERY unit. The functionality behind it has never been implemented by TomTom (supposedly has something to do with hard wired units).

The icon you want for changing car icons is Change Preferences-->Change car symbol (page 3).

Thank you much! Your help is much appreciated.

Ok, I am at a loss. I have spent quite a while reading through this and it appears I am the only person to have a problem. (typical) ;) So I have downloaded poi.dat and crpoi.dat, I loaded crpoi.dat onto a 4gb sd card, with no problems took about 8 minutes. Now I have tried to load poi.dat and every time i go to drag it to the SD the program (explorer) goes to "Not Responding" Do i just need to let it sit, or am i doing something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ok, I am at a loss. I have spent quite a while reading through this and it appears I am the only person to have a problem. (typical) ;) So I have downloaded poi.dat and crpoi.dat, I loaded crpoi.dat onto a 4gb sd card, with no problems took about 8 minutes. Now I have tried to load poi.dat and every time i go to drag it to the SD the program (explorer) goes to "Not Responding" Do i just need to let it sit, or am i doing something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Did you try to do a chkdsk on your sd card? It makes sure all the files stored on the SD card are healthy with all their sectors in good condition. When copying files on the SD card, do you use a card reader or just have the TT connected to the USB cable? I suggest using a SD card reader to speed up any file operation.

I originally tried to go through the TT, but that took forever. So I used a card reader and that was better. I ended up just letting it sit in the "not responding" screen and eventually it caught up and copied over. Thanks for the input.
Shawz

for those that want to use a 4gb or 8gb sd card in the tomtom you need to go to the latest boot loader im on 5.5106 you can find your value on your main info screen of the tomtom.

The poster replied in the proper thread, Sage. Things have changed, as you know, since the previous last post in the thread and the new message was quite correct.

Ask a Question