go 720 maps 1.9/1.7 GB

OK I finially got the map installed 720.1609. So far I dont see extra details or what so ever however some files are smaller on the 710.1584 (the one you download from TomTom home). For example the POI files. its alot bigger on the 720.1609. So I guess TomTom is trying to fit the map into the tiny 2GB device so they have to delete something or recompress some other files who knows? None of the CS staff know what I am talking about diff maps and the Level 2 guy said they have to write a report to Europe and reflect the problems because all the engineers are THERE! I can feel TomTom NA CS is trying to help me out but for some reason they dont have the resources (like why there are so many diff version of maps.. etc) to solve the problem for me and the best they can do is to allow me to download the 1.9GB map which will not fit in to the internal memory at all. So for those taht wonder what are you missing. I can tell you not much. Not that I can see so far. And I can feel TomTom is just like any other company (e.g. Microsoft Windows 3.0 was full of bugs) when they are glowing and improving so I decided to stay with TomTom and see what they are up to! Sorry for my bad english and hope this solve the mist a bit. :D

Sam......

To be clear, are you saying there now exists a North America 7.20 map!!!!:eek: :eek:

If so, does speech recognition work with it?

Sorry, its 710.1609;)

Have you installed it yet ?

i got myself a SanDisk Ultra 4G SDHC (which is working perfectly fine) just to fit that maps, but funny thing after having it installed, the NA folder just take 1.5-1.6g !?!?!

I was wondering is i should delete my 705 on the internal memory, and copy my new 710 to it form the SD Card (can i do that ?)

also as for some received throught email from tomtom, they will be sending 1000 SD Card with new maps to be used in january and february and pluged throught home as kind of a test/survey. As i understand, only the first 1000 user who reply to TT will get the trial.... Anyway really looking for that and to see which version will come in that SD Card

Hi
I know some reported after install it became 1.6 ~ 1.7 but mind is 1.92 GB (2,064,564,283 bytes)

Hi
I know some reported after install it became 1.6 ~ 1.7 but mind is 1.92 GB (2,064,564,283 bytes)

Perhaps I am being very dumb about this entire thing because I have real hard time grasping why TomTom has a North America map that is 1.9 GB in size when most GO 720'ers would not be able to download it.

I have backed up tom 720 and then deleted the "old" map, deleted a few mp3's and jpg's. I even went as far as deleting some of the .txt files that were in ther languages and I still don't have enough room. 1.81 GB is what I have available.

What else can I delete safely? Do I need the file called "InstallTomTomHOME.exe" or the directory called "TomTom HOME Install.app" or the "helpme" directries? Even deleting these wont free up enough space.

Are the folks at TomTom wanting for 720 users to purchase 2GB cards in order for us to use the 710 maps? How could they not have anything on their web site that addresses this problem? I won't be able to give the folks at TomTom support a call since their support hours are over for today.

A side note. Using TomTom Home for Windows it says I have the option to download this update (providing I make enough space). Using TomTom Home 1.6 on my Mac, I am never given the option to download the new map.

No one here seems to have a definitive answer in what the heck TomTom is doing to all of us with all these different map sizes.

Am I missing a way to download this new map file without having the 720 connected? Not that this would do me any good because I don't have any room to put this on my TomTom.

Has someone found a solution to this either on their own or thru TomTom support?

Last edited:
Macs don't appear to have the ability to download the new map and since they took the ability to purchase maps on their web site macs are screwed until Home v2 is available on mac. I had to install TomTom Home v2 on windows to get the new map :mad:

And up to this moment after a few hours of driving. I cannot tell anything difference between the two version (1.7 and 1.9). However as I mention the POI file on 1.7GB is 84.7MB, on 1.9GB is 263MB and a couple other files. And the rest are pretty much the same size.

Macs don't appear to have the ability to download the new map and since they took the ability to purchase maps on their web site macs are screwed until Home v2 is available on mac. I had to install TomTom Home v2 on windows to get the new map :mad:

Even if I use TomTom Home for the PC it says that it is to big to install and I need to uninstall maps/pois/voices, etc. TomTom Home does not let me download the new map even to my PC (unless I am missing that option) at all because I do not have enough room on the TomTom. (see the post 4 up from this one).

Last edited:
I think I have a reasonably easy solution to your "not enuff storage room" on your internal memory.

Why not just connect via USB and manually back-up your internal drive to a folder on your desktop. Thus, freeing up the contents of your device.

:D Don't kick me if that's a stoopid idea:D ....but it sure sounds feasable.

Are these maps available via HOME because I can't find them.

Where is everyone getting them?

THanks,
--Phil

Are these maps available via HOME because I can't find them.

Where is everyone getting them?

THanks,
--Phil

1) Make sure you have home 2.1 installed
2) Select "Use Latest Map Guarantee" from the File Menu

I am trying the download again to a 2GB SD card that is completely empty, we will see what map I get

1) Make sure you have home 2.1 installed
2) Select "Use Latest Map Guarantee" from the File Menu

I am trying the download again to a 2GB SD card that is completely empty, we will see what map I get

It gives me version 710 1225 MB (Is that the most accurate file?)

Sorry in advance,
--Phil

phil,
710 IS the latest version. But there are many small updates to the 710 itself... Like for eg, the one that sam got is probably the latest... and that is 710.1609.... to see what we have, you will have to check the FULL version number of the map - i.e, the 710 followed by those 4 digits. To see the detailed version, i guess you will have to install it first and then click on the bottom right and then click on version. It will show the detailed version number. But what most tomtom 720 users are getting now is not the latest map... What most tomtom 720 users are getting is 710.1584. I dont know what is going on with tomtom!:(
Try calling the customer service.

720 Maps Not Loading

Hi. I just purchased my 720 Go yesterday.

I got the TomTom Home working on one of our home computers, seems to be having trouble on a Sony Vaio but not on an HP.

As part of my signup, there is a free map upgrade. First, I had to change to the new version of TomTom home. I next downloaded the actual new northamerican map at 1.7gb, The software asks me to delete programs/maps almost everything, to make room for the new map.
  • Why would a map be recommended for a device that does not fit?
  • My unit, out of the box yesterday from BestBuy ($399 plus alot of rewards discounts got me under $300 for the unit) had a sticker over the SD slot which says no SD required.
  • Even with deleting, which I tried, all voices, all maps etc........the unit still would not allow room to load the map.
It's Sunday. Obviously I'll be on the phone with tech support tomorrow but does anyone know the thinking behind this. Given that the SD card slot is being discouraged, (TomTom sticker that SD not required) and that SD cards do come in 2GB sizes, the solution would seem to be to load onto an SD card yet:
  • No directions are given for the use of sd cards with the TomTom 720. This is particularly disappointing as an SD card gives me the flexibility to carry back-up materials, songs, photos etc.....why wait till I'm docked and on TomTom home.
  • The unit got rave reviews yet no mention of these challenges.
  • The unit should hold a TomTom designed map in the main memory, not in the SD card.
  • The unit has on overt control to tell me how to access the SD card, except from TomTom home?
Let me know how this all is working out for other users.

Ted:(

I got my GO720 in early August. A tomtom tech had recently sent me (on my tomtom account) the 710.1609 map upgrade which I had to unzip and eliminate some voice files from (as described here somewhere) in order to fit on my 720.

My husband just bought a GO720 today at BestBuy since he got $150 off by combining their coupon for members with TomTom's $100 off deal.

His came through with the smaller 705.1481 map and doesn't do voice input even with that extra ASR file. I tried to use the sD card on which I had 710.1609 and it wouldn't get recognized by his. Nor did my previously downloaded file.

Strangely, his has a map of Guam in it as well....

He has not yet used the latest map guarantee. But I have some questions I'm curious about, before checking for new maps:

1) can that latest map guarantee be used to check several times in the first 30 days or only once? (In that case I'll wait 3 weeks!)

2) do you think the upgrade to the 710.1609 (for which voice input is possible) is the next map he would get?

3) and why is 710.1609 being offered to GO720 users if it's too big for internal memory? I am considering finding a 4GB sD card to hold it on mine in case the future software and whatever upgrades eliminate its use or the voice input use.

Thanks for everyone's help here. Without this forum, I'd be nowhere near as proficient.

Ask a Question