tom tom go 720 no maps

TomTom Model(s)
go 720
Hii my tom tom stopped working after an update. I went onto your forum and deleted and formatted all data from my tom tom after copying the files to my desktop. the tomtom then updated but with no maps! when I went to copy the files from the desktop it says the shortcut has been deleted, Please help :(

When you copied the files from the desktop, were they in a folder on the desktop you created doing a manual backup? See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

If you didn't place the folder on the desktop, but just a shortcut on the desktop pointing to the folder location, where did you create the folder?

What update did you do that the unit stopped working and can you elaborate on what exactly isn't working?

thanks for your reply dhn. I cut and pasted all items on desktop assuming they had copied.

the update was about three weeks ago, not sure but it just stopped working. Each time I switch it off it is now updating and asking me to change the settings, go through this each time selecting nationality, voice, time and then the message there is no maps.

Thanks.

Have you tried a pin reset on the unit?

Also, connect to Home. Manage Device (2nd page, purple folder), Items on Device-->maps, what does it show?

And, Items on Computer-->maps, what shows there?

pressed reset yes nothing any different. Have been onto manage my go and computer, only thing listed there on computer is safety cameras. Listed on my tomtom is tom tom application for car and motor navigation, car symbols, shut down, quick gps fix and phone connection settings

Was the map on your device the one that originally came with it or had you ever upgraded the map previously? If you did, it should still be found on your computer here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Download\Complete\Maps\
or...
C:\Users\username\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map (if Windows 7/VISTA)

and you can try a manual install of the map. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

If you don't see any map there, I'm afraid you've somehow wiped it off your unit and don't have a backup on your computer. You probably will need to repurchase it.......

Ask a Question