Can't install new map

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
Hey all, its been a few years since my last post. I have a Rider2 that has performed flawlessly since I bought it many moons ago.

Recently I purchased a quarterly map update, no problem installing the first new map. Here are a few things that now occur with my unit:

1. When I plug in to HOME, it gives me the updates such as map corrections and GPS Quick fix. But now (never used to do this) when I click on update it first Backs up the device to computer prior to downloading the updates. This of course takes quite some time, when previously it was all said and done in a minute or so.

2. The first new map I installed just installed over top of the old map automatically, and I liked it that way. Now when I want to do the 2nd new map, it tells me that my SD card is too small rather than just going over top. Ok, so thats not a game breaker, but......

3. I follow the directions on screen to disconnect, turn off device, slip in a new SD card (4GB), connect to cable, turn on device and it right away downloaded a new Application and then said it was restarting my device. That part didnt seem to occur. I did a manual restart and connected to HOME. Now I click on update my device, and it says it is up to date. However, there in now no map on my device. Luckily I do have it backed up in Explorer as well as the previous SD card.

4. Any help with these issues will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Rick

Nothing really there helps. Its funny, after a few attempts with the new SD card, it finally said I had a map to install. I installed it, and it was a much older map. My latest map is a 935, but it downloaded an 840. When I clicked up update, it said it was the latest map. Funny too, when I went to mapshare preferences, it said my map and my device were not eligible!
I put my old SD card in and it still works fine, brings up my 935 version and tells me I have a new 940 ready to download. Then it starts all over again, says my card can't hold the new map, to install another card (which I have done) and the trouble starts all over again.
Its also a real pain in the butt that my HOME automatically backs-up my device when I want to install QuickFix and/or Mapshare updates.
Yeesh.
Too bad there was no way to talk to an actual TomTom service rep. Many companies have gone to live chat for support and I have found that to be very beneficial.

cheers!

- rcacs

I could use a leg up on the Rider 2 situation in general.
First, can you identify what firmware version is running on that unit? Is it at LEAST 8.302? It would require firmware at least that recent to properly support >2GB SD cards.
As I recall, your version of the Rider has NO internal storage, and depends upon the SD card for all storage of both firmware and maps.

You may well be getting caught in a situation where Home does not believe 940 will fit on your device. Many owners of XXL540 and other 2GB devices have been running up against this 940 problem, and TomTom has had to release 'zoned' maps for North America just as they've been having to do for Europe for a while now. The maps are just getting too big to fit entire continents into a 2GB device. For examples of how zones look when they are offered by the TT server, see here >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/issues-problems-with-install-of-map-940.30623/#post-181533

You may well have to call customer support to discuss this with them. I don't know what provision they have made or plan to make for zoned Rider 2 maps yet. We don't have a lot of Rider 2 users here, so we hadn't heard whether 940 was going to be a problem or not for you guys.

866 486 6866
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT

7.901 is the latest application for the Rider 2, and thus it only supports SD cards. Most 4GB cards are SDHC, but if you found a 4gB SD it should work. The USA/Can map for the RIDER is about 1.9GB. so it might even fit on a 2GB card if you remove everything else.

What happens if you remove map 935 under Manage My Rider in HOME, does it offer space for 940 then? Also, try removing every voice you're not using.

Also, under home preferences, advanced tab, you can set backups to always/prompt/never.

I was wondering about that, which is why I asked about the firmware level. It's been a very long time since we've dealt with this, mvl, but my recollection is that it was often possible for a 7.XXX firmware TomTom unit to read from a 4GB SD (not SDHC) card correctly, but that it wasn't possible to write to them correctly.

Thanks for all the assistance. Here is what I ended up doing: As stated earlier, when I was advised there was a new map, it immediatly told me that my 2GB card was too small, and to install a larger card. After a few attempts using a new 4GB SDHC card, it finally installed a very old application (sorry, didnt note the version) and it proceeded to install a very old map (again, didnt note the version, but I think it was an 825 NA map). When I hit the Update my Device button, it said I could not do so. I also could not access the preferences, etc.
My Rider2 had a 935 USA_Canada map on it.
I then decided to copy my 2GB files directly to a 4GB SDHC. Bingo, it said I had a shiney new 940 USA_Canada map, which I downloaded. After downloading I clicked on Update and low and behold it did. All my account preferences are again functioning.
Thanks for tip on how to prevent backing up my device everytime I want to download mapshares/QuickFix's as well!
I know my device is old, but it has served me very well over these many years through thick and thin.

Cheers,

Rick

Hmmm... so you have a 4GB SDHC card in an old rider running 7.901 firmware?
As noted above, code that old typically reads from a card like that, but writing is another story. I don't recall anyone ever having any luck with that, though we're not that savvy about what bootloaders were included for Rider boxes back then.
You're saying that Home successfully UPDATED the contents of that 4GB card? That's just astounding.

Ask a Question