Can't install new NorthAmerica_Canada Map

I recently purchased from Europe the NorthAmerica version: 710.1609 map (1915.6 MB). (49.95 EUR)
Fully detailed map covering all American States and Canadian Provinces (incl. Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico). Street network coverage: 99%.
This map is stored in C:\users\Joseph T. Neal\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\Map\NorthAmerica.
Whenever I try to add the above map to my device, it goes thru all of the motions (copying / Installing).
But another map of just North America (1503.1 MB) version: 710.1609 shows up in my device. I don't know where this map came from or how I got it.
This map is saved in M:\North_America.
I'm using application: 7.162 and HOME 2.1.2.1

Do anyone know how to get the NorthAmerica_Canada map that is 1915.6 MB on my device and get rid of the North America map that is (1503.1 MB)?

First and foremost - do a backup as is. I am assuming the unit works Ok as-is and your only issue is loading the new map.

I do not like Home 2.1, as it does not appear to give you all the functions and visible controls of 1.5. I would then copy the present N. American map back to the computer. I would think 2.1 would let you do that, but maybe not (good reason to uninstall it and load up the 1.5 if it does not have that function).

You could then delete the old map from the unit (again easy in 1.5 - not sure about 2.1)

As for installing the new maps, see what happens after the old one is gone. I assume you will have gotten an activation and/or product code that it will eventually want entered to activate it.

If this does not work, let us know - I am considering going the same route, as the map store here is down. You might search through the forum some more, as I have heard mention of other US users going the European 7.10 map route also.

GAW,
I did what you suggested, but no luck. The North_America map (1503.1 MB) still installs itself even though the other map is being copied and installed.
Home 2.1.2.1 has both the function to copy to hard drive and another function to delete the file, (Map). I did both making sure I deleted the (1503.1 MB) map.
There must be some other place that the map is hidden in or they have it mis-labeled some kind of way.

A problem with home 2.1 is that it seems to decide what file to install, and what backup (latest) to restore. Home 1.5 had you check a box for the map and other items you want to install. It should let you control the process.

I think this is worth a try. it only takes a few minutes to uninstall Home 2.1 and install 1.5. I would definitely give it a try. You can always reinstall 2.1.

joeneal, when a new map version is installed to the device, the old one remains and the device will not aurotmatically switch to the newly installed map. It has to be manually select (Change preferences - Manage maps - Switch map). Take note that the new map is named exactly the same as the previous one. When clicking on Switch map, the current map is selected by default, so the other similar entry would be the newer map.

Take note that the new map is named exactly the same as the previous one. When clicking on Switch map, the current map is selected by default, so the other similar entry would be the newer map.

It doesn't matter how many times I click to switch the map. Map remains same size (1503.1 MB) It never changes to (1915 MB)

46jimbo
TomTom Pro,
I have (3) non-computer voices = 2.2 MB
I have (1) Computer Voice (Dave) = 294.5 MB
296.7 MB

North America Map with american
States, Canada, Alaska, Hi, and
Pureto Rico = 1915.6 MB
North America Map = 1503.1 MB
412.5 MB

412.5 MB
296.7 MB
Difference 115.8 MB

Can you think anything else, and most of all why there
there are (2) maps listed?

Where's my map?

I have a similar problem.
I purchased a new map of Western Europe from TomTom, France. The transaction appears in My Orders as paid. The money is gone from my bank and I have an invoice from Amsterdam. But in my Home updates all I get is a bunch of voices. :(

I have tried to contact TomTom via their support page for a week now with no response, so am trying to learn how to use this forum. :) Hope I am at the right place.

Any ideas?

Sam Johnson
TomTom Newbie,
Sam, Did you check your email close. They should have sent you a 2nd. email with a link to download your map.
This is in addition to the email with the invoice.

Joneal, Thanks for the prompt reply.
Actually, I got 3 emails. 1 confirming purchase, 2 installation instructions and 3 invoice. The instructions were to use update in TomTom HOME. Problem is when I log on to get the updates, the new map is not there. I can download and install voices and color schemes fine, but there is no new map.

Sam

What map version does the unit show as the current map?

From your problems, I am wondering if TT is making it difficult to go around the North American Map page - which is still down. I was considering doing the same thing you had done (try a European map download), but would like to see some successes with it first.

GAW,
I am using US Mid Atlantic 650, but also tried putting a new SD card in my One and starting from scrach. Everything installed fine except, no map found.
I was also thinking that there might be some issue with downloading a purchase from the French site through a US isp.

If you set it up with new SD card, you would have had to have moved the whole setup over first (including original maps), either by a restore of a backup, or a copy with windows explorer. Your original map should still be there ?

joeneal:

I hate to ask, but what data are you missing? You're getting the map you downloaded, regardless of what the size is saying. To me the version number verifies that.

If you buy a "box of cereal", you can measure the box and say "that's what I bought". But when you open it up, it's only 2/3 full of cereal. But that's what constitutes a real "box of cereal". Both of them are "box of cereal 1.0" even though the "sizes" aren't the same.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have a problem.

Ask a Question