XL 340S Compass

TomTom Model(s)
XL340S
Hi all...New to the forum. I just got a XXl 340S and am still familiarizing it. I found a setting where I can put the compass on the display. The compass is there but the east & west are reversed almost as if it set up to be in the up-down position. How do I corredt this? Thanks in advance.

It behaves in the same way as any normal compass and always points North, it is still pointing North when heading East or West because it's suposed to - Mike

Hey Casper-

I, too, have this same problem. Am beginning to wonder whether this is just an issue with the North American map(s). I had a 920T, and am now using the 740 Live, and both have the same issue. As I'm driving a Ford F-150 with a compass built in to the dashboard, I'm able to immediately see the North/West discrepancy. I'll be heading Northwest, but TomTom's compass will say I'm heading Northeast...and vise versa. I've posted on the boards here in times past, but have never gotten a resolution to it. Others have said that TomTom is paying more attention to correcting other "more important" features than the compass issue.

The north and south arrows work properly. The arrrow points to the left when I know for a fact that I am heading east. As I said earlier, it would function properly if the device was being viewed up and down. Maybe there is a setting for this somewhere and hopefuly somebody knows.

Am I missing something? Say I'm heading in a North-Westerly direction. Even if I lay my unit down....the compass on the screen will still indicate that I'm heading in a North-Easterly direction...or vise versa. The only time that TomTom's compass correctly indicates my direction is when I'm heading due North, South, East or West. The minute I head Southeast, it points Southwest (instead of pointing Southeast). If I head Northeast, the compass points Northwest (instead of pointing Northeast).....etc etc.

To Casper and aegould,
I understand you guys are newbies to this GPS's compass as it had/has been covered in this forum as well as on others many many times. There were so many explanation how it works.
One thing I can assure you guys that your unit compass is WORKING just fine, in fact, it is what it supposes to be.
1. Head NORTH = compass arrow points UP = AWAY FROM YOU
2. Head SOUTH = compass arrow points DOWN = IN TO YOU
3. Head EAST = compass arrow points LEFT
4. Head WEST = compass arrow points RIGHT
That is the CORRECT way.

No argument there, pianoCM. I totally agree with what you're saying...and see that when I use my device. Our question though has to do with the NE,NW,SE,SW headings, and not the N,S,E,W ones. When I'm heading NE, I want my Tomtom's compass to point NE. Right now, when I head in that direction, it points NW instead. When I head SW, TomTom's compass tells me I'm heading SE instead. This makes no sense.

aegould,
If you could understand the pointing of compass to East & West, then NE, SW, NW, or SW is just slightly by some degrees, I meant, again, the same idea of how it is.
I wish I can show you on the paper with the arrow pointing, it's surely easier to understand.

When I'm heading NE, I want my Tomtom's compass to point NE. Right now, when I head in that direction, it points NW instead. When I head SW, TomTom's compass tells me I'm heading SE instead. This makes no sense.
When you are heading in ANY direction the compass will point directly to the North, if it didn't it wouldn't be called a compass - Mike

After getting more familiar with the instrument, I understand the explanation. I was assuming the arrow would point in the direction you were heading but as stated, it works just like a real compass.

Ask a Question