XL 340S won't work after latest application update

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes 340s
I just updated my tomtom XL 340S through TomTom Home. When running the update, I received an error message indicating the wrong application was installed. in home, under manage my device, it shows i have version 8.415 installed.
Tomtom support ran me through their troubleshooting, at which time it continued to do the same thing. It just keeps trying to reboot, never getting to the main screen on my device. Support then proceeded to tell me i have a defective device and they could offer 20% discount on a new device. This was working without fail until i used tomtom software to update. Any suggestions? I already tried removing application, deleting all files (no folders) and reinstalling. I don't know how to install the right application if it continues to install the wrong one.

8.415 isn't exactly a 'wrong' application, but it certainly is an old one - very likley the original -- but that is no surprise, as that is what often comes up first when you strip the firmware from the unit and reload from scratch. Having gone through the update that gets you to 8.415, you will need to disconnect the unit properly and reconnect. Home should discover the downlevel version and bring you up to date, although it may take two more applications -- it may bring you to 9.058 before bringing you to the current version, likely 9.430.

Is it just the "Operate my device" (or is it "Operate my XL"?) feature of Home that is showing that message, or are you seeing problems when you run the unit when not connected to your PC?

If that doesn't work out for you, please check back for some more options. Is that unit JUST an XL340S, or is it an XL340S Live? Can you post the first two characters of the serial number for us?

One last item - have you ever backed up your unit? If so, how did you do that, and at what point in this process?

Home did update to 9.430, but it still states the wrong application was loaded. When i run the device not connected to the PC it will not start. It looks like it continuously tries to boot up, but just keeps repeating the cycle -- never getting past the little disk in the bottom left corner with the bar that fills left to right. After that screen it goes back to just showing TOMTOM (with symbol), then that same screen again. It won't do anything else. The first two letters are RU. Before i tried to do the last update, i did try to back up and i got an error message as well, so i just proceeded with no backup.

The screen in Home actually says "Operate my ONE XL"

RU = XL IQ Routes TTS* / 340S - 2GB

Can you connect to Home and run the emulator (Operate my Unit)? If so, add a favourite and then disconnect properly using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if the rebooting is fixed then.

i was able to add a favorite in the emulator, but it did not help. everytime i connect to home, it tells me i need to update my system, then it runs a check, and says there is no update.
In the emulator, under the version, it shows the following:
Device AKUYN BJN56
I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

Ask a Question