Voice Input not working

Just bought a 920 Go last week. I installed the newest update this afternoon and my voice recognition thingy went all grey and I can't use it. Did the soft reset to no avail. So patience is now needed I guess. Maybe they should test the software BEFORE releasing it. New concept I guess...

Last edited:
Just bought a 920 Go last week. I installed the newest update this afternoon and my voice recognition thingy went all grey and I can't use it. Did the soft reset to no avail. So patience is now needed I guess. Maybe they should test the software BEFORE releasing it. New concept I guess...

Yep, same for me got mine yesterday and boom voice recognition does not work. Fisrt thing I thought of was did they do any testing on the update before they released it. Seems not. Very puzzling

There's no live links on this page for the items listed. Where did you find the update on that page??

Run updates next week, a fix for the problem should be out by next Tues or Wed., and will be released in a firmware update!:D

I also had the same problem with the voice with my 920 when I upgraded, and in addition to that I am also unable to switch between Canada map and North America map, anyone else have this problem after the upgrade?

I also had the same problem with the voice with my 920 when I upgraded, and in addition to that I am also unable to switch between Canada map and North America map, anyone else have this problem after the upgrade?

You could try a pin reset but what Canada map are you referring to? My understanding was you got Canada as part of eith er the North_America map or the less detailed USA & Canada map.

But not a standalone Canada map.

Same thing happened with TT720, as far as voice recognition is concerned this https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=8302 solved the problem with me.
if you don't have the previous version cab file, or if you're using a mac, just copy the ASR folder from a backup copy and allow it to overwrite the one on your tomtom device, that should restore VR functionality.

Isn't canada included in North America maps anyway??!! You just choose the country and map it!!

Hope this helps, best of luck

I'm glad it's not just me! I unboxed my 920 last night and connected it up and let it did all the initial updates. When I try the voice input it's just greyed out like everyone else, I thought I was just being stupid or didn't understand how it was supposed to work. Really disappointed my wife too. Not a good start for me. :(

I have a Canada/Alaska map that I use on my 920, along with North America, and Guam. It is currently on the Canada map and for some reason I am unable to switch to the North America map.

I have a Canada/Alaska map that I use on my 920, along with North America, and Guam. It is currently on the Canada map and for some reason I am unable to switch to the North America map.

You tried a pin reset?

I got the same problem to and spent about 1 hour with the rep on the phone. She sent me the 7.221 application firmware. I deleted the newest application updated and unzip this version 7.221 and now my 920 works with voice entry.

I am new to this site and tried to upload the file but it is 17.51MB which exceed allowable for this site of 8.58MB. Any suggestion on how I can share this file and I will do what I can to upload for all.

<snip> I am new to this site and tried to upload the file but it is 17.51MB which exceed allowable for this site of 8.58MB. Any suggestion on how I can share this file and I will do what I can to upload for all.
Nice offer?but not really necessary. That version can be downloaded from 'Oldboy's website here: http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/

Thanks for the firmware download. Reverting back works!!!!!
After reading around the net it seems that in an effort to remove voice input to 720 users, they updated the firmware which also locked out the 920 users.
I don't know this for sure but it is just my opinion.

Just got my Go 920 and happily found this forum to explain why the VR feature stopped working and thankfully, the fix. After much searching, I found the suggested fix but no instructions, so thought it might help others with what worked for me. Here are the steps I took to fix the problem:

-Download the 7.221 version from http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/ Download is a zip file, extract the file to your computer.
- Copy only the contents of the ASR directory to the ASR directory on your TomTom (answer "Yes" to "Overwrite existing files" prompt). As a precaution, you may want to create a backup of the TomTom first.
- Disconnect device from computer, TomTom started up normally and VR feature once again works.

By copying only the files in the ASR directory, the TomTom still shows version as 7.480.

<Snip>

- Copy only the contents of the ASR directory to the ASR directory on your TomTom (answer "Yes" to "Overwrite existing files" prompt). As a precaution, you may want to create a backup of the TomTom first.
- Disconnect device from computer, TomTom started up normally and VR feature once again works.

By copying only the files in the ASR directory, the TomTom still shows version as 7.480.

Just to clear up any confusion (and possibly saving you from scuttling the repair altogether), make sure you COPY the files from the 7.221 ASR directory, then PASTE them into the (unmolested) 7.480 ASR directory on the TomTom. I cleared the TomTom's 7.480 ASR directory first, before copying the old files over, and SR died after it asked, "Please state street." Restoring the 7.480 ASR files, Then restoring the 7.221 files corrected the problem.

Franko

Just to clear up any confusion (and possibly saving you from scuttling the repair altogether), make sure you COPY the files from the 7.221 ASR directory, then PASTE them into the (unmolested) 7.480 ASR directory on the TomTom. I cleared the TomTom's 7.480 ASR directory first, before copying the old files over, and SR died after it asked, "Please state street." Restoring the 7.480 ASR files, Then restoring the 7.221 files corrected the problem.

Franko

Yes, this worked for me on a 920. Thank you for this.

Can any one tell me the phone number for TT in Canada pls.? I am fed up with no voice and that fact that there is a new map and it is not available to us.
Thanks,
Michele

I don't know if US/Canada is the same:

To contact Customer Support team by phone call 1 866 486 6866 (available 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST Mon - Fri and 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST Saturdays)

Ask a Question